- advertisement -

Who Is Responsible for Replacing Bad Insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SarahKelly, May 26, 2016.

1. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

So, I am having a very frustrating moment...we've had two bad vials of insulin. I went through all the appropriate steps to make sure that it was the insulin and nothing else causing the extremely high numbers, so I know it is the insulin but I don't know why. I called the mail order pharmacy to get them replaced and they said they don't do that. They told me I'd have to go through the company that manufactures the insulin. I called Lilly to get the bottles replaced and they will only do a "grace" replacement of 1. I am really confused about who is responsible for this. I don't know if it went bad in delivery, storage from the warehouse, or what. We've been doing this for over 7 years so I know how to handle and store insulin. We've never had two bad bottles and I should clarify, one was bad in end of jan/feb and the other just this week...so it wasn't back to back vials. And it was right after we opened the vials, so numbers were in range then we did a site change and within four hours BG went really high.
    Anyhow, I need advice - what should I do? We are getting one bottle replaced, but what about the other?

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I say it is the mail order pharmacy. If they don't do their own deliveries, then perhaps the delivery company you can file a claim with them for damage from heat. I know they told you they "don't do that" but I think you need to go higher in their organization.

Years ago I was able to get our mail order pharmacy to replace insulin. They had left the package in the middle of the walkway up to the porch in June. Yes it was in a Styrofoam container with ice packs, but it was HOT when I got home & got it. I spoke directly to their pharmacist back then & it was replaced. They didn't like it, but they replaced it.

I think if no resolution there, call your insurance company & tell them that the pharmacy gave you BAD insulin & see where that gets you.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  3. dpr

dpr Approved members

That's good advice from Kim^^^ Also call your endo and get some extra insulin. Being a med hoarder isn't a bad thing with a disease you will die from without it.

4. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Is it possible it was the site and not the insulin? Did you try an injection from that vial?

5. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Insurance won't budge. Unless I know for sure that the mail order pharmacy delivered the insulin in an inappropriate way they won't replace. Additionally, they asked why all four bottles that were delivered weren't bad...I suggested it could have to do with which bottles were closer to the cool pack they put with it. And, these are 2 of the four bottles. I haven't used the other two to know if they are bad or not yet. So, far the third bottle seems fine, and I agreed with the woman on the phone from the insurance agency that they should all be bad, but again I have no idea why the other bottles are bad, but they are. I just think it's weird that they can deliver a product that isn't working properly and nobody is responsible to replace it - I could just see how it could leave a lot of people in a bind. And if another bottle from this group is bad we'll be in trouble, too.
    I did contact the insurance commissioner for the state and they are looking into it all.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I pay a bit extra to get my insulin at the local pharmacy. (Yes, I know this is not an option for many, either due to cost or insurance policies.) My mom ships us an order of Omaha Steaks every year and those things are frozen solid! The problem with insulin is it can't be too hot OR too cold!

I am shocked your insurance is refusing to replace a life-saving medication that is cost prohibitive for you to purchase out of pocket. They should replace it immediately and then do their own negotiation with the mail order pharmacy and/or shipping company to assess who is responsible for the cost. Do you have backups? I'm glad you are escalating this. Keep us posted.

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I, too, get my daughter's insulin at the local pharmacy for the same reason. Even then, there's no guarantee. If memory serves, we've had one bad vial of Novalog and two bad vials of Apidra in the past two years. Fortunately, the pharmacy replaced all 3 vials free of charge.

8. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

At least with a pharmacy if you get a bad vial you can go argue with a human being!

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Early on, we got ours at Target and I had an argument with the pharmacist who actually said unopened insulin doesn't have to be refrigerated. They had filled my prescription the day before and put it in the bin instead of the fridge. I refused to take it and stopped using Target.