- advertisement -

whitewater rafting

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by fredntan2, Jun 17, 2013.

1. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Hi,
    planning trip to colorado/utah this august. plan on doing some white water rafting. wondering how rafting people manage pumps

any rafters in this community

hubby want s o hik e down the grand canyon. we are not up for this.notgoing to happen

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Lol, this made me think of the Brady Bunch episode where they took donkeys down the canyon with Alice holding on tight!

I almost wonder if it would be worth while to do untethered for the trip? Long acting in the am and the plug back in overnight to make u for when it starts to wear off. We do this all summer but for any beach vacations. We start about 2 weeks prior to work out kinks.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My kids have been white water rafting many times. We have Animas Pings but we always leave them on(both kids). They are in spibelts and it has never been an issue for us.

If it was not that long you could put it in a REI dry bag and connect it to your life vest. Don't connect to raft or kayak. We made that mistake on the kayak once and down the river went the kayak and the meter supplies, CGM, and the stuff for lows. Pump was still on body. We had our name on the bag and someone(in our group) found it down river. Although they have never fell out of the raft yet....

We we use the dry bags from REI(the ones you roll down) I still put items sensitive to water in a gallon ziploc inside the dry bag.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  4. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I went whitewater kayaking at first melt in the spring in Wisconsin one year - COLD, wet, CRAZY! I put my pump (Cozmo at the time) in a ziplock baggie with the hole where the tubing was coming out taped up to the tubing to create a seal of sorts (I'm a pump killer, so I take all precautions possible to not murder any more of them), in my bathing suit under the farmer johns and the life vest... turned it way down for a while because of the intense workout, and kept it low after... This was before my Dexcom days, but that would have been an interesting graph because of the adrenaline, the cold, the exercise...

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

6. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

We used one of these ... http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/59966?page=pelican-1060-micro-case&subrnd=0

Ours came with a wrist strap on it that we hooked to Gregory's life jacket. It easily fit his Medtronic pump, a meter, lancet and strips (not in their case) and a tube of glucose tabs. It floats so it does not add weight to him. He did not fall out of the raft, so he didn't really need it, but it was nice to know that if he did, he had everything he needed for a little while. We also used to box to snorkel in Belize, it was completely under water for over an hour (again hooked to a life jacket) and everything inside stayed completely dry. I hope you have a great time!!!