- advertisement -

white stool?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Deal, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Deal

Deal Approved members

Not sure what could cause this. ds just had a white bowel movement. It was like a white clay. Otherwise no symptoms of anything. He just got over a stomach flu. Following that he had a couple lows, nothing serious more related to his ratio changing. He went from 1/10 to 1/20 basically overnight. I haven't touched his basal because his nighttime numbers are still fine.

Confused over the white stool.:confused:

2. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

Found this on the Mayo clinic site........"White stool at any age is not normal and should be evaluated promptly by a doctor. White stool is caused by a lack of bile, which may indicate a serious underlying problem in the liver, gallbladder or small intestine." I would call the doctor.

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Has he been tested for celiac? Do the stools float?

4. Jenna'sMom

Jenna'sMom Approved members

My daughter had white stool after the stomach flu once too. I happened to be in the hospital (just had second baby) when it happened, so I asked the doc about it. He said that it was more than likely due to the flu she had just gotten over...mentioned the whole bile thing, but wasn't concerned and said it would likely go away. Told me to bring her in if it didn't go away -- but it did, and we've never had anything like it again.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

It would make sense that things in there are a bit messed up after the stomach flu. That can cause diarrhea, mucousy stool and possibly strange colored ones. Have you been giving yogurt to replace the probiotics? Either yogurt or Culterelle if you have that up there. Often the bowels and intestinal tract is very irritated after stomach bugs and need all the friendly bacteria replaced. I wouldnt worry too much if there are no other symptoms like fever or pain when having a BM

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

I would call the doctor. It is LIKELY nothing since he just got over a stomach virus but it COULD be something serious. It seems like a call to the expert is in order.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Could be due to any meds your kid is taking. Give a call to the ped asap to get this figured out.

Good luck!

8. miss moppet

miss moppet New Member

I suffered thru a serious bout of 24 hr. stomach flu that started night before last and continued thru yesterday. Vomiting and diarrhea. I had taken 2 TUM's before the vomiting started and was able to keep down a banana this morning - I haven't eaten anything else. Today I feel fine but made a white stool. I am thinking that it is probably normal.

9. Deal

Deal Approved members

His next bm was normal. I guess it was due to the stomache flu/sickness he had.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Thats a relief! I was hoping that it was from everything being so irritated.

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Phew!:) That is good news.

12. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

Glad it all turned out alright:)

13. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Glad to hear things are back to normal.

14. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

This is a first have never heard/seen of white bowel movement...:eek:

15. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

Bio-Gaia is also a great probiotic to help replace the friendly flora in the digestive tract...glad to hear all is better!!

16. Deal

Deal Approved members

This is so weird, it is back again. No signs of sickness at all. He is still using far less insulin then prior to the stomach bug which has been gone for well over a week. We did call the endo's office who told us to try our ped who is actually the same dr but working out of two offices.

17. Deal

Deal Approved members

Well he vomited again this morning and so I kept him home and called the dr. He suggested coming in if it hasn't cleared up in a week. I guess it does not concern him. This extra factor of diabetes makes me unsure of most everything but the dr is both a ped and an endo so I'll sit tight for now.

18. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

That is good that his stool is back to normal. When I had my gallbladder out about 13 years ago that was one of my symptoms. But, I was in horriabe pain...ugh!