- advertisement -

Which walk do you participate in?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beach bum, May 11, 2006.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm just curious which walks people participate in, the ADA or JDRF, and is there a particular reason why you do one over the other?

2. lisamomtotwins

lisamomtotwins Approved members

JDRF, just because it is the one i know more about and heard about. See my link in siggy ..... We are walking in october.

3. jlwilts

jlwilts Approved members

4. allisa

allisa Approved members

In the past I have done ADA....and sent out mailings to all my neigbors for ADA mialing campaign for contributions....but I'd prefer to switch my focus to JDRF because I feel it is more pertinnet to my son...does anyone know if they do a mialing campaign to neigbors ? Iv'e looked on their site & can't seem to find it. I have nothing agains ADA...but when mailing info to people ADA speaks mostly about type 2 and preventing it.....people don't really understand type 1 at all....they think it is the same disease and they are in fact different.

I prefer the ADA walk becasue it is literally right in my backyard...it's that close !! LOL ....but raising money for JDRF seems so important to me that I'll probalby head to Boston for that one !

Allisa

5. kipper

kipper Approved members

We have walked in the JDRF walf for two years now. This September will be our third walk

6. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

We sponsor a team for the ADA walk in September.
    We have a great local chapter that is very T1 focused, and is currently funding a researcher here at Texas Tech University who is working on islet cell transplants w/o anti-rejection therapy. Pretty cool stuff!! All of the money we raise stays here to support her research grant.

7. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Our family primarily participates in the events for the DRI www.diabetesresearch.org. We've toured their facility many times, met the researchers, love the dedication to curing diabetes. If you're ever in Miami, you may want to arrange to tour the DRI. I'm about to create a fundraiser of my own at a dueling piano bar - for a fun night of raising research dollars.

The Children with Diabetes Foundation http://www.cwdfoundation.org/ also funds cutting edge research.

The DRI greatly appreciates the research dollars JDRF, ADA, and CWDF have given to the DRI. We've walked for whatever walks are in our neighborhood.

Being involved feels great.

8. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

we walk for jdrf,, we will do it again this year..

9. Pammers

Pammers Approved members

Just did the ADA "Sleepwalk" in Tampa.

Reaaly want to get involved with "JOINLEENOW" but they really dont have structured fundraising and I'm not the kind to organize my own Walk/Run/Dinner........

Anybody else fundraising for JOINLEENOW"???

10. dawnegge

dawnegge Approved members

We also did the ADA sleepwalk in Tampa. It was our first one and we will do more that come to this area.