advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which research would you support?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Lakeman, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Well the title says it all. Of all the lines of research out there which would you donate your limited funds to? Are there any you would not support? If it could only be one then which one?

2. brokenheart

brokenheart Approved members

I've donated to Dr. Faustman and JDRF. As a matter of fact, I don't really know much about JDRF research. Artificial pancreas? Is this thing good? And if it is, is it promising. I know more about Dr. Faustman's research. It excited me because she targets at mature T1D patients and the goal is to cure it. I do know that she is far from achieving this goal.

I need to know more about Dr. David Wagner's research and am willing to donate if it sounds promising to me.

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

this is a very sensitive subject... their have been many arguments an differences of opinions on here... I would recommend you do some research and decide for yourself.

That said I support Dr Faustman (or I will when I have money to give;-) ) because she doesn't use stem cells in her research, and I am against stem cell research.

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I am of the belief that multiple researchers working on the different elements of this complicated auto immune disease will eventually bring their findings together to provide a cure...or something that is as close as we are going to get. I feel that the spirit of cooperation within the scientific community will be crucial.

5. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I would hope that people would set feelings aside and look at things more objectively. It is my goal to look at it that way as far as possible.

I have been scouring the internet. I have looked to see who likes who and who does not like who and why. I have used the search feature on this site to see what was said in the past. After doing that it is simply a matter of due diligence to ask one more question of those I trust the most - you all.

P.S. As far as I know Faustman will be using spleenocytes which if I am not mistaken are a kind of adult stem cell. While there is much controversy around embryonic stem cells I know of no controversy around adult stem cells.

6. carbz

carbz Banned

Lately I have been supporting Dr Faustman only. The main reason is she is basically relying on people like you and me to move her research forward. Personally I think its going to be a very long shot especially for people like myself who have had diabetes decades that her theory and treatment will work for me. I feel more confident in the path that Viacyte or similar has taken using protected transplanted cells to get the job done. I don't see anything as a one shot deal but just another kind of treatment. I'm Ok with that as long as it can be made affordable for everyone and no one gets left behind regardless of their financial situation. My attitude from day one is and has remained an effective treatment means no more insulin injections or dietary restrictions. Nada zippo! Anything less is fail! Any treatment that can accomplish that without additional side effects from the treatment is a win! As far as JDRF goes they have supported a few companies I felt were worthy like SmartCells and Viacyte but am I not at all thrilled with the whole AP thig a ma-jig.

7. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I was just warning you that people might be a bit sensitive about this sort of thing

Yes I know she uses adult stem cells, I'm sorry I should have been more clear... I don't support embryonic stem cell research (JDRF supports this as far as I can tell)

8. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

^^this^^. It would be a godsend if research collaborations found a cure by halting the autoimmune attack, and regrow our islet cells.... Even if it meant getting yearly vaccines to accomplish this.

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I don't care who does the research or how, as long as there is a cure, I don't like seeing research duplicated, like the latest post about Beta cells regenerating, that study was done in WA 15 or so years ago and is still ongoing, they need to collaborate.

10. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

I have supported Faustman - she has been struggling for about a year now to raise a measly, puny $25.2 M. To put this figure into perspective vis-a-vis the economics of diabetes treatment, this corresponds to:

• About 16% of what Merck paid to acquire Smart Cells,
    • Less than 1% of Novo Nordisk's net profit in 2011,
    The fact that she has only managed to only raise $8.5 M makes me want to support her more. And to scream.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

So, just curious, if a cure were found using embryonic stem cells you would decline the cure?

12. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Yes.

I don't anticipate that happening and while things change fast the last I heard every stem cell cure or treatment that has been successful has been with adult stem cells or in one case embryonic cells that were taken from adult skin i.e not from embryos.

In fact, while getting ready to post this I found:

"According to a study published by the Journal of the American Medical Association, diabetics who have undergone stem cell therapy have started to produce insulin naturally, thereby foregoing the need for injections. In the trial, 15 Type I diabetics were successfully treated with their own stem cells. In an earlier trial, diabetic mice were cured using stem cell therapy. The mice responded within a week of treatment, and their sugar levels remained normal for the rest of their lives.

Read more: Cures From Stem Cells | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5317824_cures-stem-cells.html#ixzz1powiRGNH
    "

I was not looking for anything related to diabetes but I am excited to see something that I have not seen before -- actual human T1D cured with stem cells. (apparently there is a thread about this here already:)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  13. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

Theoretically speaking, I would fully respect the decision of adults to deny themselves a cure because it is at odds with their moral beliefs or religious dogma.

I would however have no respect for any adults who would deny a cure to their underage children on such grounds.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  14. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

Piano Player and Lakeman,

I encourage you to ponder the following thread: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=69167. Utilizing a donor's umbilical cord blood involves no ethical issues. There are many cases where mothers have stored their own cord blood for conceivable future use, again no ethical issues.

I have personally been unimpressed by stem cell results, particularly embryonic stem cell tests. For years, when I read a study of potential break-throughs using embryonic stem cells, when I finished reading, I was left with the feeling that the study proved to be nothing more than hope and conjecture without actual results (didn't mean the studies failed in my mind, but didn't give me anything tangible to believe in.) In fact, I probably didn't rank one embryonic stem cell research effort in my top 20 of hopeful tests that demonstrated tangible promise. I had been hopeful for testing on adult (skin) stem cells, but I don't feel that is as promising anymore.

But the above study from our other thread clearly shows positive results using embryonic stem cells. Moreover, it involves no ethical concerns of whether the source of those cells encouraged funding of questionable/objectionable practices.

My conclusion is we would be wise to consider these type of studies.

15. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Thank you for bringing this up for discussion. I agree that cells called embryonic stem cells when not from embryos pose not ethical dilemma.

Doing a quick google search before making this post I confirmed that embryonic stem cells are indeed called embryonic stem cells because they come from embryos. When a stem cell comes from an umbilical cord or the skin or from any other source it should probably not be called an embryonic stem cell. As far as I can tell no fruit has been born on any research using embryonic cells from embryos. The study you linked used cells from skin and it is promising.

16. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

That is a pretty sweeping and broad generalization.:) That statement as written would indicate you would not respect a parent who refused to benefit by avoiding a treatment if it were being offered by Joseph Mengele and was the byproduct of the medical-murders in which he was involved. (I am aware that I am breaking Godwin's law but it is far preferable to keep the discussion distant and theoretical rather than to go in depth with my peers here the too personal and too controverisal implications of this line of thought)

In all likelihood you meant to make a much less sweeping statement.

17. swellman

swellman Approved members

The only problem with your analogy is the part about getting treatment from Mengele - other than that I think it's a reasonable analogy.

I would not reject a treatment merely because it was a byproduct of his immoral and unethical "research" for lack of a better word. For all we know we may very well be using information gleaned from his observations at this very moment in medicine.

18. carbz

carbz Banned

No morals here. Kill whatever you have to so I have a chance at peace. As far as ES Cells I am not sure exactly what Viacyte is doing to get their supply and quite frankly I could care less. Either way they are proving their treatment works in test animals. Now let's try it in humans for Christ sakes.

19. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

We are indeed benefiting from his work in indirect ways. The military for instance used his data to understand how the human body could withstand freezing temperatures. What was done was done and could not be undone and therefore the data could be used as long as it did not promote further medical torture - IMO. Medical ethicists sometimes do have problems with this kind of data even though what is done is done.

In my analogy I tried to make it relevant to the discussion by indicating that the benefits would not be indirect - one would be hypothetically contracting directly from Mengele. The use of present day embryonic stem cells from embryos could not be considered to be an indirect use of the work with the cells. Make another analogy if you like as long as the benefits received were the direct result of the death of a living human individual. (I would like to note that in this thread I have not indicated that anyone else should or should not follow their conscience I have only indicated that I would follow mine)

In the end, this type of research with cells from embryos has been fruitless. Meanwhile work with stem cells derived from other sources has been fruitful and is not unethical. Its a no-brainer!

20. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Viacyte does not use cells from embryos:

http://www.ift.org/Food-Technology/...em-cell-technology-for-diabetes-research.aspx