- advertisement -

Which pump??????

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by samsam, Sep 23, 2014.

1. samsam

samsam New Member

After going to the pump educational class last night , I feel like they all sounded the same. Unfortunately, the reps were talking more about what the other companies did not have rather than talking about their own features... very annoying! Any opinion on what features I should look for for my 10yo daughter who was just diagnosed 9 months ago?? Medtronic, TSlim or Animas?? HELP

2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Here is a good link that describes the pros and cons of each pump on the market. If you want you could also schedule individual meetings with the different reps to get a feel for the pumps and play with them, it's better than making a blind decision and not knowing if you like the overall feel. It's easier to get them to be honest about the pump flaws and the pump pros, while avoiding talking about the competition, if they all aren't in the same room.

http://integrateddiabetes.com/insulin-pump-comparisons/

Everyone is going to have their own preferences, so there is no perfect pump (Cozmo, a retired pump, pumpers would debate that as it seemed perfect).

Things that you should look for:
    • She's 10, within the next four years she should enter puberty--larger capacity pumps may be better (Minimed or Tandem)
    • Ease of use, is the menu simple to understand or is is more complicated
    • Using a CGM?? Medtronic is the only one right now with an integrated CGM monitor, BUT Animas and Tandem are in the process of getting approval from the FDA; Many people have separate devices from the CGM and pump, not a big deal in the long run
    • Do you want a BG meter that links to the pump? Animas and Medtronic do this, Tandem does not
    • How small do you need to insulin doses or basal rate to be?
    • What pump does your daughter like? This is a huge question, she has to have it attached to her for the 4 year warranty. Allow her to have a say in which pump she likes--even if it is based off of looks.
    • Customer Service - you may have to make an emergency call to tech reps because a pump failure, you need someone that is happy to help and can actually solve the problem you are having. Ask current pump users their experience with each company. I personally think Tandem has a top notch CS because they are a small company and they do cater their pump to the wants and needs of people with diabetes.
    • While this isn't that important, but where is the company going technology wise? If a upgrade comes out while you are in warranty with the company, you can get the upgrade at a discounted trade-in price.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Very thorough post ^^^ The only thing I'll add is that pump/cgm integration wasn't, for us, all that we thought it would be. In fact, it was downright annoying. I thought a separate receiver would be a bother but it's turned out to be so much easier that way. Always asking her to dig out her pump so that one of us could look at the graph was a bother. After just a day or two on the integrated system I asked my then 14 year old, "what does the CGM say?" to which she replied, "That she'd like a restraining order" :reface: so just bear that in mind.

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

One correction to misscait's post with respect to bolus/basal increments. Medtronic actually has the smallest bolus capability at 0.025. Animas and Medtronic tie with respect to smallest basal capability with 0.025. Tandem's minimum basal rate is 0.1, but it has the smallest increments after that, allowing for adjustments in 0.001 increments. Frankly, even for the most insulin-sensitive 10 year old, none of that probably matters a bit, but I just wanted to make sure the information was accurate in case it would matter to someone else reading the thread.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I would recommend having your child TRIAL each pump. The pump I thought my daughter would chose based on info from the pump class was the one she disliked. Hearing each rep's persuasive speech is one thing; hands-on experience is another. My daughter could feel every bolus with Animas, and they hurt her despite her high pain tolerance. That's something that no rep is going to tell you and that may not affect other kids, but when it does affect YOUR kid, it becomes an item that removes that pump off the list immediately.

You didn't mention Omnipod. My daughter chose the Medtronic pump, but when Omnipod's small pod came out, we "cut-the-cord" for the summer months. I would do it again because having both options is nice. There are features I like better on each pump and things I dislike on each pump. I want to make diabetes as much in the background for her as possible, and the pod allows that better in the summer. She doesn't have to keep track of time and reconnect when she's in the midst of fun water activities, nor do we have to worry about a fried pump due to hair-line fractures (Animas pumps get ruined by water with fractures just like Medtronic does). But last night I was missing the pod's remoteness and asked her if she missed it. I got a stare, so I commented, "No?" She emphatically said she's glad for a break from it screaming at her. Summer months, though, she much prefers it for the freedom.

Editted to agree with Sarah Maddie's Mom on the integration of pump/CGM aspect. My daughter wore the integrated Medtronic pump/CGM for a year before switching to the Dexcom G4. She has zero interest in switching back, and we found that we like the units being separate. The portable receiver can be with me at night without another device, and it can be left where we both can look at it as we want. The pat-down or requests for info can put unnecessary tension in relationships. We as parents tend to look at the numbers far more often than the teens do, I think.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014