- advertisement -

Which pump & CGM

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kyla, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Kyla

Kyla New Member

Hi all - I've never posted a thread on here before. My son (now 2 and a half) was diagnosed last June and has been on MDI's (novorapid & lantus). We're looking at getting him on a pump soon and are wondering which pump and CGM are best for a toddler? Unfortunately because we live quite remotely we haven't had a chance to 'play' with either the Medtronic or animas so was hoping to get some feedback before we fly down to see our endo team in a few weeks.
    Many thanks!

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Can you arrange for pump reps to have their pumps for you to play with when you go to your Endo appointment.

For a toddler, I tend to recommend the Animas Ping. The meter is also a remote control for the pump and many of the pump functions can be done from the remote, most importantly, the blousing. So, you don't have to wrangle a toddler after poking in order to dose. And you don't have to dig under the covers at night for a pump, you can dose from the remote.

I would also consider looking at the t:slim. Its got a nice small profile - smaller than the Medtronic and the Animas. But again, I recommend the Animas for the small dosing. My daughter went on a pump at 2 1/2 and we used the Animas - for almost 7 years when we just recently switched to the t:slim.

Love the Dexcom. Receiver has great range so you can keep it in your room at night (usually - some have problems due to distance) to get readings. AND, they have announced introduction of new Dexcom share where you can have Dex send readings to an iPhone your son will have and you can see them on your iPhone. Great way to help with remote monitoring. ITs brand new so they aren't shipping yet, but may be by the time your prescription for pump and CGM gets processed and/or you can get the regular Dex and they'll give you a free upgrade to the Share.

3. Kyla

Kyla New Member

Thanks so much Nancy! So great hearing from someone whose been through all of this with a 2.5 year old!!!

4. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

There have been a handful of threads over the past year about pumps for 2 and 3 year olds. Here's a recent one :

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes....for-2-year-old-****&highlight=pump+2+year+old

If the Omnipod is an option for you, we've had a generally positive experience with it, and, starting from the time our dd was 2 1/2 we have had no problems with the minimum basal rate. I like the "tubeless" aspect, though parents with littles on tubed pumps overwhelmingly say that tubing hasn't presented a problem for them.

As far as CGM, the Dexcom has been a godsend. If I could only have one piece of T1 technology, I'd keep the Dexcom and give up the pump. We have never trialed the competition, so I don't have firsthand experience, but the consensus among users seems to be that the Dexcom is more accurate.

5. aprilodell

aprilodell Approved members

our endo office had a suitcase filled with all the pumps they tend to use. My son is much older, so we went with the cool looking one, yes the tslim, but she said they usually recommend the animas ping to little ones because of the remote bolusing. I think for us and we are all super forgetful the omnipod at first seemed awesome, until I read someone post about forgetting the PDM and I thought that would be us, better to have it attached, one less thing to have to worry about.
    Also just ordered dexcom and so excited about that.

6. dpr

dpr Approved members

Our insurance only contracts with Medtronic and I've been happy with it. But there have been plenty of times I wish it had a remote, even now with a 9 year old. On this forum we're pretty much all Dexcom users, and for good reason. They work great.

7. steph

steph Approved members

Seems like the most common choices for toddlers are pings or pods. Both have remotes and both seem to work really well, and it's just a matter of personal preference. We did a lot of research and chose the Ping and have never had an issue with the tubing getting caught on anything (But we've only had it 4 months). But now there's also things to take into account like CGM integration and if that's important to you or not. For us, since the grown ups keep the Dexcom receiver and remote, and my daughter isn't doing any of her own care at 4yo, it made more sense to have a remote, so we don't have to track her down and make her stop what she's doing to bolus.