- advertisement -

Which meter do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I'm sure this question has been discussed at some point but I can't seem to find it. So....

What blood glucose meter do you prefer and why? My six year old likes to help with his own checks and I am wondering if there is one that is easier for little hands. The accu-chek aviva seems a bit big for him to handle (but apparently very accurate from our experience). I am wondering about the freestyle lite. I also like the thought of the one that holds 10 or so test strips at once (can't remember the name- bayer contour maybe?) so that you don't have to mess with test strips every time but I think it needs way too much blood.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've always used the Freestyle meters. The "lite" has that great light and it needs such a tiny sample that I've never been tempted to try any other brand. :p

3. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Each meter has pros and cons. My 3 year old uses the accu chek aviva currently and it's large size is actually a bonus for him and his 6 yr old sister( non-d) who likes to help test on occasion. They are both able to grasp the accu chek easier than any other meter we have used. The larger test strip is easier for them to insert and guide to the blood as well. I love the accuracy of the Accu-chek aviva. The fact that I can upload his pump and this meter to diasend makes me a happy camper. Accu-chek's customer service has been amazing. My son likes the faceplate stickers and choosing different cases based on his whims. Here, I have to eat a little humble pie as I did not like the accu chek in the past based on it's simplicity, but now I really like this meter.

We have used the Freestyle lite and I loved the light! It was also very accurate.

We also tried the Bayer contour USB - and for us it was okay. There is a test strip light - it works, but not as well as the freestyle's. The contrast on the screen is amazing and I do miss a rechargeable battery. I did not like 2 things about this meter. 1) the software - I could divide the day into 5 sections and that was it 2) I did not feel it was that accurate for my son. His a1c went up a full point in the 6months while using this meter. We changed meters and his a1c is going down again. This may be coincidence as many things affect a1c, but I prefer the accu chek accuracy to the bells and whistles the usb had.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've tried the One Touch (Ultra 2 and Mini), the Bayer Contour Link (not available in the US), the Optium Xceed and the Accuchek (Aviva and Aviva Nano).

Of those, both One Touch meters seemed like random number generators for high BGs. The Bayer Contour Link gave me far too many false lows for comfort. The Optium I use for ketones but not for blood - it annoys me that the strips are separately wrapped. The Accuchek meters have been great for accuracy, and don't use a huge amount of blood, so I stick with them.

5. lynn

lynn Approved members

We have used Freestyle since the beginning, which a couple of brief One Touch experiences so I can only speak to those two meters. The One Touch takes more blood, but honestly it isn't a HUGE amount either way. The One Touch very quickly and efficiently sucks the blood onto the strip, but if you don't have enough blood the first time you touch the strip to the blood, then you cannot add more. The Freestyle give plenty of time (I think a whole minute) to squeeze up more blood if necessary. The Freestyle also seems to wick the blood up more than sucking it, not that that probably matters a bit, just an observation. The strip accepts blood from the end of the strip with One Touch and from the side with Freestyle. The newer Freestyle strips have very few strips that are bad compared to the old strips. One Touch still has a code for the strips and Freestyle doesn't. One Touch is much larger than Freestyle, which can be a pro or con. One Touch has a larger variety of meters, Freestyle has two, I believe. The Freestyle Lite has the strip light, which is what will make us stay with them. I don't know why every single meter manufacturer doesn't add a strip light.

6. momofone

momofone Approved members

I know this is within the 20% "allowable" difference but DS came out his room saying he felt low and grabbed the freestyle lite meter - it read 4.1 he was adamant that he was low - we wanted to document the reading on our Omnipod PDM (Canadian version) and it read 3.5. I always feel the freestyle lite is on the high side but he doesn't use it that often, it's just in his pack.

7. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We use One Touch meters - we have the minis in her bag and upstairs and the cars...we have the ultra downstairs. We've tried several other meters but she has always prefered the One Touch so we keep using them.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I've tried a bunch of them and always come back to our Accu-Chek Aviva. My least favorite of all of them that we've tried is the One Touch UltraLink that came with his pump. What a shitty piece of technology.

9. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

My favorite meter was the first one I got in 1983. Nobody told me about home meters before then. It was one of the glucometers. Most people now days wouldn't like it because it was about 6" long and you had to put the blood on, wipe it off, then insert it into the meter and wait a minute or two for the reading. But that was the best meter for me.

I was given one of the lifescan meters and I hated it. It kept giving me wrong readings. I'd test myself five times and come up with five different readings, and they'd be all over- 37, 89, 115, 275, 389. And this was all within a 10 minute time frame. I went back to the pharmacy where I got it, told them the problems and they gave me another one. Had the same problems.

Now I'm using the contour. I like how you can set your own hi and low levels. You can see what your 7, 14 and 30 days averages are. I don't have a windows Operating system on computer so I don't connect it to my computer. I keep track of all my readings and bring my record book for my doctor to see.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Accucheck Aviva. Quick, easy, not much blood.

Least favorite is One Touch (Ping/came with pump).

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We use Accu-chek Aviva.

This is from Gary Scheiner's Diabetes Bites newsletter:

How Accurate Are Blood Glucose Meters?
    The Clinical Translational Research and Innovation Center (C-TRIC), Londonderry, Northern Ireland, tested the
    accuracy of blood glucose meters from Abbott, Bayer, LifeScan, Nova, and Roche versus the YSI reference
    analyzer (lab measurement). The study was presented at the 47th Annual Meeting of the European
    Association for the Study of Diabetes, September 14th, 2011.
    More than 120 patients? meters were assessed for Total Meter error, a stringent accuracy standard that accounts
    for both meter bias plus meter imprecision. The FDA currently allows for up to 20% error in all monitors approved for
    use in the U.S. market.
    The Results:
    ? Nova Max Plus Was the Most Accurate of All Leading Brands (Total %
    meter error was 8.5%)
    ? Roche Accu Check Aviva and Bayer Acsencia Breeze 2 came in second with
    9.5% error.
    ? Abbott Optimum Xceed (similar to Precision XTra) came in third with 15.5%
    error.
    ? Lifescan One Touch Ultra came in fourth with 16.5%.

12. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We like the accuchek meters. We use that aviva nano at home, and he uses the compact plus at school. The compact plus has the drum of strips, so he's not fussing with individual strips. It's bigger and heavier than some of the others, but the drum is a big plus at school.

13. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We love our freestyle lite :D

BUT : The NZ government in all its wisdom has decided to limit the whole country to one brand of meter (3 models) and their strips - The Caresens... :eek: What an uproar by the Diabetes Community.... It is a proposal to save $10 million a year.. we sad.. :cwds:

14. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Love the Freestyle Lite. If it was only linked to the pump instead of the one touch!

15. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I love the Freestyle Lite for its size, sample size, and little light. The lancing device is also my son's favourite (although he is liking the Delica now, too).

BUT--I do think it reads too low, primarily at higher BGs. When I have tested it against a OneTouch and an AccuCheck, it regularly reads lower, with the discrepancy being bigger the higher the BG is (though I don't think out of the 20% mark, if you count the other meters as reading a bit high and the Freestyle Lite as reading a bit low). At normal range, it might be a few points lower, but nothing too significant, and below 80, it seems to read pretty close to the other meters--within a few points. And, of course, the other meters don't give identical readings, either.

Despite my belief that it might not always be giving me the most accurate numbers, I still use it almost all the time. I am confident that it will reliably detect hypos, and if my son is really high, I am just a bit generous with the correction.

16. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

We used the One Touch, Accu-chek compact plus and now the built-in freestyle for her omnipod.

We loved the Accu-chek until it started zeroing out the day and time! They replaced them for us and one of the new ones did the same thing. We liked that the test strips were in a drum and were automatically dispensed. You also had a good amount of time to get the blood on the strip.

One Touch - I didn't like. Wasted a lot of test strips because of not enough blood.

The built-in Freestyle we love!! What we love is the tiny amount of blood required, ease of uptake and you have plenty of time to add blood if necessary.

17. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

We love our freestyle lite, but dd wants the take bg, communicate it to pump feature of the One Touch Ultra Link. I am not excited about it's performance in the study momofsweetone mentioned above. We love the new novamax glucose / blood ketone meter we got in the mail a couple weeks ago. It reads more consistently than our freestyle lite, but no built in lite. Strips are cheaper too, which is a consideration. We were supposed to get a bayer USB but it never arrived, they swear they sent it, and the software stinks (it's really geared more to a type 2 testing regimen) For now, she is using the lancing device that came with the novamax, and the free style light. I think what we'll end up doing is the novamax for daytime running around, freestyle lite for night checks and see if we can save on money. The blood ketone strips for the novamax plus are way cheaper than the Precision.

18. MomofSweetOne

The NovaMax plus will communicate with the Medtronic pump as well, so Niko can have the convenience and you can have the accuracy if you want.:D

19. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Really, I need to go back and read more. That would be so awesome -we really like that meter!!

20. MomofSweetOne

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012