- advertisement -

Which Glucose Meter Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dvbo79, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Younger son started using Bayer Link meter with Medtronic 530g(730) in January. We really like it so far, uses small amount of blood compared to One Touch. We have had no error out strips like we had with the One Touch. We still use Accu Chek Multi clix lancet device. I did not like case and Bayer sent me the USB case for free which we like better. Other son still uses One Touch. If he goes on Vibe when it ever comes out I am switching him to Accu chek meter.

2. Dave

Dave Approved members

While its true that the Dexcom will 'follow' a calibration reading, it is PROBABLY also true that after several-to-many calibrations the accuracy is getting better because the CGM algorithm is doing a kind of tracking average operation that swamps the blood glucose meter variation. What this should mean to cgm users is:

1. If your Dexcom is rocking and rolling after three days and you get a 74 and the Dex is saying 85, the Dex is probably right - I personally dont get frustrated with the Dex, for example. In other words if you tested ten more times, your average would probably by 85. (This would be a good experiment to try, and I think I just might, but it'd take 50+ strips to do it correctly. Im interested in buying a Hemocue to play around with this idea, but its pricey). I recall seeing that an upcoming G5 or G6 will have an improved algorithm set for accuracy...perhaps it is this effect that they have improved on as it would require a more sophisticated algorithm than what is shown in the cited paper below.

2. That the overall bias of the blood glucose meter and not so much the standard deviation is what is really important as the CGM algorithm should be able to eventually best the glucose meter. Therefore next time you get your child's blood test, 1. Make sure they are in range: 80 - 100, and 2. Burn about 8 or so strips and take the average and compare with the lab right at the time of testing (ask if they are using a Hemocue and find out if its the plasma value, etc.)

For those technically inclined and who are interested in how this works, roughly, there is a nice review on kalman filtering called 'Poor Man's Guide To Kalman Filtering' that can be had by googling that is probably close in spirit to what the Dex is doing.