- advertisement -

Which Foods Are Your Trouble Foods?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaBear, Mar 31, 2011.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Since joining this site last July I have seen plenty of posts about pizza causing spikes, and some about cereals as well. I have thought up until now that we were lucky because neither of these foods has given him any problems.. until now. Last weekend we had pizza and what do ya know, SPIKE! 302! Next morning he had leftover slices for breakfast, SPIKE!307! Three times this week he has had cereal for breakfast, different kind each time, and each time he has spiked, including today. Health aide called a bit ago because he was 239. So I was curious what else we may have to look forward to as far as foods that cause trouble hours later. I know YDMV, but which foods give your CWD, or you if you have T1, those dreaded spikes?

2. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

our trouble foods:

Cereal
    Pop tarts (once referred to on this board as evil-tarts or the anti-christ LOL!)
    ice cream (she does ok with low carb ice cream)
    apples (or anything with apples in it. Applesauce, apple pie, apple crisp)

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Carbs mostly.:p

4. MamaBear

:p:p:p RASSSSSPPBERRRRRYYYYYY:p:p:p:p

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Pizza.
    Chinese takeaway.
    Anything with more than about a gram of fat in.
    Pasta.
    Cheese.
    Rice.
    POTATOES. (They're pure evil, therefore capital letters.)
    Milk.

Yep.

6. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Bagels are evil. Beyond evil. I've even tried the mini whole wheat HFCS free bagels and while better are still bad. If it was up to me a bagel would never pass Lia's lips. Dh however will take her out for breakfast on occasion and every couple of months will get her a bagel.

Chinese food and Mexican can also be evil but I've gotten much better at combo boluses and avoiding the worst of it.

Fried items/fast food can be depending on what and where. Chicken nuggets and fries from McDonald's are ok. Chicken fingers and curly fries from Arby's are bad. So are chicken fingers and fries from Burger King. I try to avoid BK altogether and if we go to Arby's she gets a market fresh sandwich and we may split a small curly fry. Subway is fine, no problems.

Pizza it depends. The thinner the crust and fewer the meat items the better. We pretty much only get pizza from one place that has thinner crusts and we get mushrooms and bacon. That doesn't cause too many problems. However the same place also has the most divinely delicious breadsticks you have ever had. Those things are evil like bagels. So we never get them when we order pizza for takeout. We do get them if we eat there but they also have an arcade and we give Lia quarters and that keeps her so busy she often won't eat any breadsticks or just a little.

7. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Breakfast for dinner is our absolute worst meal.

It's also my kids absolute favorite, so we're working on it. LOL

Other than that our *here we go* list is:

nuts
    pasta
    rice
    corn
    cookies

We've had the same problems (except on the opposite end of the spectrum) with fruit. My son eats fruit with no insulin. Somehow? Single-serving sizes of course, but we tanked him sooo many times with fruits, and then found out for some reason, he just doesn't need any insulin for them. Weirdest thing ever.

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Un soaked rice is my worst nightmare, with regular crust pizza a second. And I won't eat bagels for any reason anymore. Pasta in small amounts I've learned to handle with an extended bolus, as well as thin crust pizza

9. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Pastry.....
    sometimes Pasta.....
    :cwds:

10. Trev

Trev Approved members

Trouble Foods

I initiated a discussion on Tudiabetes over a week ago regarding Cursed Foods, Pizza, chinese take out, fast food, etc....too funny, food is on everyones mind. Not surprising as we think about every morsel we place in our yap in terms og gms of carb not just food.:)

11. Trev

Trev Approved members

Oh my favorite and cursed food is buttered popcorn the fiber and the fat are a killer combo, low then high later.

12. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

rice, bagels, bananas

13. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

pizza, chocolate, and anything cooked with lots of cheese are the worst here, which is a shame because those things are like food groups in this house :rolleyes:

funny thing about chinese food... It's the ultimate mystery food to me for bolusing, what with all the fat and batter and who knows what other carbs are lurking in there so I never know how much to bolus for it, pretty much just take a wild guess every time and it ALWAYS works out. guaranteed 2hrs post meal he'll be in range and stay that way, even if he was high before eating, so weird... my husband and I joke now if he's having stubborn highs that we should go for chinese food to fix it lol :D

14. MamaBear

Hmmmm he had half of an apple last night and went to 192. Hmmm

It is on my mind all of the sudden because we have been seeing different numbers lately with foods that never caused problems before. I guess it's just part of that beast that is D. It changes it's mind like crazy!

Thankfully we'll never have to worry about Chinese. He HATES Chinese food. I think he's crazy but oh well, more for me!;)

15. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

Sushi is easily the worst for us. Happens to be DD favorite meal too. Never on school nights any more because of all the corrections we need to do.

16. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Cereal for immediate spike, cake for delayed spike.

(homemade pizza doesn't give us any problem at all)

17. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Sushi "used" to be the worst, still is if I get white rice, but we have a place by our house that uses Black organic rice, tastes better and no spikes for me!

18. Tiff's mom

Tiff's mom Approved members

I honestly can't even say what particular food may be evil for us. They all can be bad, or it's smooth sailing with no trouble at all. We get different results almost all the time. Ds eats pretty much the same foods, so I don't really understand why the end result varies so much. We have it in spurts, I change his pump settings a lot if I see spikes or bg getting stuck in 200 for hours and then things even out again, until the next change.
    I don't know if I'm making any sense but that's how it is for us. Today Ds had a bagel with cream cheese and no spike, at all, he went up to 160 and then was 130 by snack time at school 2 and a half hours later. He has been eating coco puffs for breakfast a lot, and last month I had to do a super bolus for those because he was spiking in 200, past couple of weeks- no spike at all. On the other hand, gold fish crackers were fine, today he spiked to 200 and stayed there, so I'm changing basal up a bit, see what happens tomorrow...
    Same with pizza and mac and cheese, some days are better than others, but for those I have to do extended boluses including fat and protein.
    I trully believe that some foods like nuts, everything with cheese, meats just don't get enough insulin because we are not taught to dose for fats and protein, but they do effect bg hours later.
    And the weirdest thing we hardly ever have problems with anything sweet, he can eat doughnuts, cake, cookies with good results,(prebolusing if possible helps) ice cream is complicated, especially the whole fat one, fat free or low fat is ok .
    But again, I never know if we go higher or lower than expected any given day, so I keep a close eye on the sensor to see whats's going on and make changes accordingly.

19. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

Donuts! Ryan looooooves donuts, and that is definitely the food that has given us the most problems. We don't have them often - maybe once every couple of months now.

20. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Pretzels. Any kind, every time. Overnight spike.