- advertisement -

Which CGMS/Pump? Animas Vibe or Medtronic Veo

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Marina, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Marina

Marina Approved members

My son has been using the medtronic pump with integrated CGMS for the past 5 years. With the new integrated animas system on the market (in the UK at least), we were thinking of making the switch. I was wondering whether anyone had experience or any more general views on medtronic versus animas / or dexcom versus the medtronic CGMS. We have never been fully happy with the latter.....

I would be so grateful for any experiences, both good and bad! Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Obviously the integrated Animas product isn't on the market here and probably won't be for a while. We use the Animas Ping and overall are happy with it, but my biggest complaint is that you have to still dial up the bolus. For example the Ping has a paired meter. You check your BG, it tells you what you should be bolusing for, but does not enter it in. Just another step you have to do. It's quick, it's easy I know, but it would be nice to just look at the meter, confirm the number and hit GO.

Animas customer service used to be awesome, now it's just good. I think being taken over by a huge conglomerate is the main reason for the drop. But, other than one instance, I've always received good service. I don't order supplies through them anymore, so I can't comment on that.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

All that I can add is that when we tried the animas "ping", coming from a Cozmo, I found the scroll up to the suggested bolus amount very annoying. The Animas pump you are talking about may have a different series of steps, but if it's the case, and coming from a MM, you may find that irritating. It's a small matter, but I just thought it slowed things down too much, both for me and for my impatient kid ;)

4. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Having used both the MM and Ping, I will say that dialing up on the Ping was a HUGE irriration for me in the beginning, now I am used to it (3 years later).

I do love the remote bolus feature on the Ping though, especially with middle of the night checks and corrections.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My best advice is to trial the Vibe and see what you think. :) You are not going to find many folks on here with a ton of experience with either one.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  6. Beach bum

From what I understand though, the Vibe does not have the remote like the Ping does.

7. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

From what I have read you do not have to dial up with the Vibe and it doesn't have a remote so it would really be a matter of comparing the CGMs and if you want/don't want the low suspend feature.

8. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Just another idea for those that like the remote....The Accu Chek Combo. The remote is fully functioning as well...pretty much everything you can do on the pump, you can on the remote(temp basals, bolus etc)....I also noticed they don't require any dialing....it acts much more like the MM. Tells the dose, and you accept.

9. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We are loving the Vibe... It has no dial up bolus :) and it has a few other minor menu changes that make things more simple. I love the screen.. it seems so much more 'modern' than the Cozmo and Veo.. We can't afford to use the CGM component of the Vibe yet but we're looking forward to it :) :cwds: I find the Vibe more like the Cozmo than the Veo in some ways. I wish it had a bigger cartridge, and a smaller battery though the battery is lasting forever...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  10. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

The meter is the ONLY smart part of the Combo pump - the pump has no wizards :(

11. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

That would be the deal breaker for me then....customer service wise, I am not happy with Animas anymore.

12. Beach bum

I so love the remote. I barely deal with CS now. When we ordered a new pump, service was excellent, but that department always was. I don't even get supplies from them anymore because service was so spotty and they didn't always get the product out in a timely fashion.

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I have no experience of the Vibe, but I love the Veo. Please let me know if you have any particular questions about it. :cwds:

14. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

We've been using the Veo for close to a year now. We are quite happy with it and the CGM.

I can't compare it to any other pump because this is the only pump we've used.