- advertisement -

Which brand blood ketone strips do you use?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Adinsmom, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Hi everyone!

What brand blood ketone strips do you use? We have always used the precision extra meter and ketone strips. But while cleaning out d supplies, I noticed all the ketone strips expired 3 years ago :frown: Are they still extremely hard to get from the pharmacy?

I have the Nova Max meter and ketone strips and I noticed that the ketone strips are ALOT cheaper when I looked online at out of pocket costs. Does anyone use the meter for ketones? What are your thoughts?

I need to replenish the supplies so if you have a recommendation or comment I would sure appreciate it. :smile:

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I have both and like them both, but had several errors (I don't know why) when using Nova Max, so when you don't get to use all the strips in the container, they don't seem quite as cheap (but I was still OK with them). I hope others had a better experience with Nova Max. When I looked it up I realized that my insurance covers the Precision Xtra strips, so I switched. We haven't had any errors with those.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

With the Precision Xtra, you can use expired strips if you turn the clock back on the meter. However I don't know if I'd be comfortable with ones that were 3 years out. We get ours every 2 weeks from the pharmacy and they've never had any problems having them on hand for us.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Your plan covers ketostrips every 14 days? Don't they pile up like crazy?

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Geez...our plan doesn't cover them at all. And those Precision strips are crazy $$$.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ours doesn't either and it's a very generous plan, overall.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

For some reason this year we get 2 boxes a month. We don't have a copay so I pick them up. :smile:

8. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

I also use Precision. Our insurance only covers 10 strips a month with a $15 copay. Better than nothing though! :D

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We have both brand meters that we were able to get for free. I'm thankful we do because today I sent my husband to the pharmacy with a script for NovaMax and he came home with Precision Extra. The pharmacist had needed to order them, and she wasn't able to locate the NovaMax and substituted the others. Three cheers for a pharmacist who went out of her way two days ago to make sure we had strips to send with my daughter to non-D camp tomorrow before I even had the prescription in hand - and remembered I had said we had both kinds of meters. For all the hassles I've been through over the years, she was a bright spot in D-life today. :)

10. cococay

cococay Approved members

I think they are both ok, but we've primarily used precision over the years. I have never had any traceable problems with precision strips - in or out of date.

I have however, had a problem with expired Novamax blood ketone strips. (They were with in a year, though at least 6mo out)

He had high bgs for quite awhile, he was probably thirsty and had to pee, but felt fine, not really symptomatic of ketones, necessarily, I checked his ketones with a novamax strip, and it came up 3.something. !?!?!!!!!.. I was getting ready to call his endo (it was middle of the night, but he specifically told us, he WANTS a call for 1.5+ even at 3am) but I decided to find and recheck on the precision meter, especially since the novamax were expired... in date precision gave 0.9 or something along that line.... yes, positive, but not 3+ positive. The around 1 fit his symptoms (lack of ) the 3+ did not... I can't remember if I did any more checks on either brand, I think I did, but on not sure.

I threw the rest of the novamax strips away, and haven't bothered with it again.

We did use the Novamax , and before they bought it, bd glucose meter for several years, as they (bd, then rebranded to novamax) were the first linking meter for minimed. I never had and extreme issues with bg strips, certainly no more with it than with any other glucose meter. I don't think in date strips would be this crazy either, but, my son also gets his blood ketone strips at no cost, so I have reason right now to not use precision.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014