- advertisement -

Whether it was good intentions or bad ones...

Discussion in 'Teens' started by karpoozi123, Dec 16, 2008.

1. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

I have a joke about this with a friend of mine. She doesn't have dabetes but her brother does. So we say that I needa grow up so that I can outgrow my JUVENILE diabetes.
    It started like this:
    This (really nice lady actually) was talking to me about having diabetes. (I was in 10th grade at the time so this was almost five years ago). She said that she really hopes that I outgrow my juvenile diabetes really soon and I won't even need my pump. :rolleyes: I said thank you mrs. ______ but type one diabetes doesn't go away. That was when the seriousness of it struck me though. Type one diabetes doesn't go away. :(

Anyway, I was wondering what are the dumb comments you guys have gotten? (whether they came from good intentions or bad ones...or dumb ones....)

So? Let's hear your story!!

2. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I always get "But you're not fat" or "You tae to much sugar when you were younger, didn't you?" or "Why don't you just take pills?".

Good lord. How I hate stupid people.

3. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

My favorite is, here I am, a type 1, selling different kinds of brittle so we can go to youth camp, and almost EVERY person that said no, had the excuse, "I can't, I'm diabetic..." Our candy was 14 carbs per sq inchish. Which really is a lot, but if ya LOVE the stuff...

4. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I would have to say that it was when I was on a backpacking trip to climb Mt. Whitney with a group of teens from my diabetes camp. People always would ask us who we were with and how far we were going. Well these 2 ladies started to pass us and they asked us who we were with. We said diabetes youth foundation, and we were going all the way to the top of whitney. Well they said that is really good for all of you. Then they said, "I bet by the time you are finished, you all won't have diabetes anymore.":mad::rolleyes::eek: Then they walked off discussing diabetes saying...Oh, my cousin has that. No....I think she has type 2...blah blah blah. It made me really mad to say the least. For the rest of the trip, we were all on pretty much low to no insulin because we were excercising so much. So whenever one of us would have to suspend our pump, we would say, "OMG, they were right!!! I'm cured!!!!":rolleyes:

5. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

That is so so so funny! Where is this magic mountain? I don't like mountain climbing but hey! That sounds worth it...

6. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Today my friend was saying that I didn't go to the nurses office yesterday. I said yeah I know I didn't have any more test strips and I forgot to bring more in. She was like "But I thought you had an insulin pump." And I was like yes, I do. She was like "I thought that it did that for you.":rolleyes: I told her that, No I still do that, because my pump gives me insulin. It doesn't check my BG's for me.

7. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Ok here is another one: Yesterday my friend had a candy cane and she put it on my school bad really quicj while she did something. Somehow something got said "Well I'm not offering the candy cane to the diabetic.":eek::mad:
    So I told her "Look, B I can eat sugar. See my pump? I can eat all the same foods as you can."

8. !allie!

!allie! Approved members

I have had like 10 people ask me when I'm going to die. I was like serioulsy,wth. And then some other kid asked me if my hair was going to fall out. And like a million people say your not even fat. Ugh. And some people just stand there whispering and pointing and it gets super annoying. Sorry that was a little bit of venting in there