- advertisement -

Where were you...

Discussion in 'Siblings and Friends' started by WatchingSis, Apr 7, 2006.

1. WatchingSis

WatchingSis Approved members

Where were you when your brother/sister was diagnosed with diabetes? What did you think?

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

That's a really interesting question. I'd love to hear what siblings think about their brother or sister being diagnosed, especially what they thought when they first found out.

3. HeyItsRachelLynnae!

HeyItsRachelLynnae! Approved members

i was at school and i was in 3rd grade. and i was confused when i got picked up early, then when my grandma told me that my little sister had diabetes i was somewhat excited.. i knew i would have someone to talk about having diabetes with. but when i got to the hospital i was sad.. she was only 3 when she got diagnosed and she never really had the freedom of not having diabetes like i did.

4. allwillbewell

allwillbewell New Member

I just found out yesterday.

I'm shocked. I mean... little over a week and a half ago my sister's face was round and rosy and she was bouncing off the ceiling (she's 11). And now she's in the hospital. It's... so unexpected.

It's depressing that my sister will have to go through these procedures for pretty much the rest of her life, but it is encouraging to hear from those of you with diabetes or living with those affected by it.

5. WatchingSis

WatchingSis Approved members

I was at home. My lil' sis, 13 at the time, had been rapidly loosing weight and drinking a ton, so my mom finally took her into the emergancy room. I actually didn't know what was going on until a friend called our house and said something about diabetes. I had no idea what it was, so I searched it on Google and was surprised by what I found. I didn't realize it was serious until my dad came home to grab things to take to the hospital--I could see he was very worried.

6. marley

marley Approved members

My school has an after care program and I was normally in it only till 3:30 but then one day my mom called and said my sister was in the hospital and that I was at school till 5:00. I got freaked out when I found out she was diabetic. She was only 3.

7. happy:)

happy:) Approved members

i just came home from school and my grandma was home and told me my sister was in the hospital and was diagnosed with diabetes.
    to be honest, i had no idea what she was talking about i just figured that she was sick and so i went with my grandma to target and i bought her a present. then the next day we went to the hospital. it was kind of weird to be in a hospital room with all of these cheerful nurses when my sister was in bed having to be given shots. i witnessed my first time ever seeing her get a shot there, it was really depressing. when we finally got home i gave her the present. she didn't seem to happy about it. but now i know why she wasn't happy. diabetes stinks, and she has to live with it for the rest of her life. :'(

8. Blairbear

Blairbear Approved members

well my brother past out the day befor but we were showing him bloody baby pictures and I was at church and I was really scared when I got home so my mom brought him to the hospital the next day and she found out. I was at school when I got home I will be honest I had no clue what diabetes was my brother was 6 or 7

9. Risabella

Risabella Approved members

I was at home with my grandma...I think. My brother was 18 months old and I was 8. I had no idea what was wrong with him, but he'd been sick for a really long time. When my parents got home and my mom told me that Zeb had diabetes, I asked how long the diabetes would stay. :(:(:(I didn't get it. Now I am apt at checking his BG and using his pump. But it always makes me cry to remember what I felt when he was first diagnosed.

10. d007

d007 New Member

I had had diabetes for 10 years when I tested my little sisters bg and it was so high the glucometer would not read it. My parents were in denial, my mom made me test hers to make sure the glucometer was working. I went to the bathroom and cried. I did not want my little sister to have to deal with diabetes. as her big sister I wanted my little sister to be happy and I did not want her to have to give herself shots and be constantly monitoring herself. After I cried for a minute, I dried my eyes and decided I was going to try to make this as easy for her as possible.

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I've never had a sibling dx, but my best friend was dx two years after me ( We've known each other most of our lives) I found out when she called me (I was asleep at the time) and asked what might make her bgs high, cause the doctor just called and told her she needed to come back in cause her bg was super high=( I had to try really hard not to cry for the next hour while I stayed on the phone and talked with her until her sister was able to pick her up=( that may have been the worst day of my life... defiantly top five.

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I remember my mom and sibling in the rocking chair crying and being told to go away and feeling totally excluded and unwelcome. We were only taken to the hospital once that week. I think diabetes family care has improved a lot.

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

As a sibling, I would suggest you list your other kids in your signature as Brenda does. You are the parent of all, not just the one with Type 1.

14. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Watchingsis, I love your siggy! I LOVE switchfoot=D