- advertisement -

Where to Find Blood Ketone Test Strips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sszyszkiewicz, Feb 27, 2014.

1. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I am looking for the best place to buy

Precision Xtra Blood Ketone Test Strips

Any suggestions?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I order them online. You probably have to ask a pharmacy to order them. They would come in the next day.

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

We get them through our mail order pharmacy. They are not cheap but we do have an Rx for them.

4. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

you can get them at walgreens and walmart, call and have them ordered ahead of time, about 50.00 a box. I haven't tried online yet. perhaps its cheaper. Matts insurance wont pay for them, yet, are willing to pay for an ER visit..... isn't that sad.

5. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I visited both those stores yesterday (along with CVS/Target and Rite Aid)......they don't have them on the shelves. I assumed they would. I ordered them online and it was about $50 ($5 a strip!!!). They come wrapped I hear, and we would only need them in an emergency so I just ordered them.

I will however talk to my pharmacist to ask them to order it and have it there the next day...and save me the shipping.

I had just heard about this capability a week or so ago, and I am like....why didn't they tell us about this at the hospital before we left? I mean what if your kid is dehydrated and cannot give a urine sample to test! Duh.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I sent my daughter to the bathroom to test ketones at 2 a.m. once, and she was so sleepy she forgot. We got the ketone meter shortly after that.

Our hospital, though, still tests ketone with dipsticks. Nothing like real-time data, is there? I was shocked at some of what I saw in what is considered a top hospital.

7. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

sorry, should have told you to go to the pharmacy and order them. you don't need a script to buy, but they don't normally v\carry them, nor will they put them out on the sales floor for sale.

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

You don't need a script but if your insurance covers them it may be cheaper to get with a script. Your endo would be a good person to ask the best way to get them.

My pharmacy keeps all test strips behind counter to prevent theft. You may have to ask if they have them; don't assume they don't have any just because you don't see them out.

Good luck.

9. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I just ordered some off Amazon. I was a bit disappointing they weren't individually wrapped anymore. They came in two vials (same size as test strip ones) with 5 each in them. Not a big deal but we really don't use them often and I liked having them individually wrapped.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If you have problems getting a pharmacy to order them here is the info from the box

Precision Xtra Blood B-Ketone Test Strips (no coding)- these are the individually wrapped ones

UPC 093815707455
    NDC 57599-0745-1 and under that is 70745-65

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

what is the UPN and NDC #'s?

I wonder if they are different that the wrapped ones. I too like the wrapped ones.

12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I'll have to check when I get home.

13. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Our old insurer didn't cover blood ketone strips (our current insurer covers 20 bk strips every 3 months).

When we didn't have coverage, we ordered Nova Max blood ketone strips from the website American Diabetes Wholesale, http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com/

As I recall, they ran about $23 for a box of 10. If you sign up for ADW emails, they frequently send coupons and discount codes, and they also offer free shipping for orders over a certain amount. We were always strategic about timing the order to maximize those kinds of savings.

14. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We had an endo appointment today and got a prescription for the Precision Blood Ketone test strips. I took the prescription to Walgreens and they just handed it back to me saying they couldn't even get them through their distributor. :Shrug:

I called our DME company, but they said the strips were strictly a pharmacy item and it wouldn't be covered under DME. But they are mailing me out the meter itself.

Finally, I went to our mail away pharmacy site and sure enough they showed up in the formulary (2nd tier, so a higher co-pay, but better than nothing). So, I mailed the paper prescription away to the mail order pharmacy and hopefully all will be fine.