- advertisement -

Where is everyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darryl, Jul 31, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Facebook just is like looking at "microfiche", scroll thru and hope you remember what you were looking for without skipping something important. It is just not user friendly for compartmentalizing topics or areas of interest from my point of view as someone that never Face booked until CGM in the cloud.

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

I chimed in earlier but i agree Facebook is a bit of a miss, however I recognize that this site has its "group" and new comers may be put off, so how does the site management address this or how do the older users of the site address it. :)

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When I first joined CWD in, I think, 2007 there was a "group": a "group" of really well informed, very experienced posters with a lot of little green "rep" boxes and a great deal of helpful advice and tips to share. When I posted I was always happy to have "the group" comment and offer their help. In hindsight I see that "the group" was simply made up of people who were patient and generous in sharing their knowledge and experience, and I'm really glad they were there. Whatever "group" you are describing, Ali, I don't recognize it. The only "group" I know here is the short list of long time posters who offer what they know to whomever asks.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I use FB when sharing new info (ie. sharing articles from Diabetes Mine) or asking a quick question. When I need help on more meatier topics (such as 504 or how to handle a certain situation) then I come here because I know I generally will find the answer and it will be from different perspectives. If it wasn't for CWD, I don't know where I would have been those first few years. Now, I try and pay it forward by helping families in the same situations I went through.

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I haven't crunched any numbers, but come to think of it there have been very few people who came on as new members who posted an intro and continued posting.

Its a shame if people are just going to turn to facebook, because I feel like the quality of information is really low for the most part. Or maybe I just joined the wrong groups. It seems like chat is considered outmoded in people's minds. I don't know if internet forms are something that are quickly losing momentum ?

I think a lot of the site's traffic comes from google searches, but tudiabetes is now becoming the more common site that google takes me to when I search a specific diabetes topic.

6. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I joined right after you did, Sarah, and I agree! CWD was an absolute lifesaver for me, and my daughter, because of some wonderfully patient people who took the time to educate me on things I didn't understand.

7. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I'm back! And if I'm back, maybe there's others that are starting to feel that they should come back too. Facebook doesn't cut it for me. I need this place.

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

Sorry it my comment came across at all negative. I only meant that when you join any organization or even a small 4 person dinner group if any of the individuals know each other at all, there is a language, and somewhat of an understanding of what others are saying. I read this site as a long tern T1 because I find parents to be the most wonderful proactive people I know in exploring ways of dealing with T1. I had just never encountered that prior to stumbling upon this site. I had dealt with my T1 for over 30 years with no support system and no real help from my Docs. I was only given a book on carb exchanges during my 30 years. In my post I was searching for a reason why people are using Facebook instead of this site, if this is in fact the case. It may just be that there are more options of sites including T1. Please do not read too much into my use of the word "group":smile:ali

9. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I think facebook (esp the parent groups, not so much the pump/cgm specific pages) has a completely different vibe than this community. Facebook is, for lack of a better term, very "poor me" and "poor kid", and I've never found this site to be that way. This site is more proactive. Same situation - kid goes to 350 after breakfast every day. CWD member post: how can I tame this breakfast spike? Facebook post: I hate diabetes, it makes my poor kid feel crappy every day after breakfast.

A community like this is very much more my style and I've left many parent facebook groups I initially joined because my practical responses didn't seem to fit with everyone else's sympathetic ones.

10. Zivile

Zivile Approved members

This is my first post in CWD - I was so glad to find this forum, here I find so much information...I can not stop reading :) I also started FB group in our country, asked our endo to give my telephone number to newly diagnosed children parents, because support of others with experience of having CWD is necessity. So I'm just trying to get all parents closer and to make for someone those first days a little bit easier. I think FB will never could replace "real" forums like this because it is so different with different users habbits - for me it is crazy to read three comments on FB which all are only 5 words :)
    And only on CWD I can find some information I was looking on this first year - e.g. practical tips on use of CGM, because I don't know parents near me who would use CGM 7/24.
    I am sorry for mistakes - just thank you all for creating such fantastick site as CWD :smile:

11. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

CWD is now an Ohio based not-for-profit organization with three employees: me; Laura Billetdeaux, who oversees our conferences; and Jim Vail, who started in June to help us with development and communications. We do the best we can with the very limited resources available to us.

We do have a Facebook page but haven't done much with it. That will change in the coming months.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I agree I have not been on here much. FB groups sometimes are like a firehose of information, but near impossible to go back and find a post of information later.

13. swellman

swellman Approved members

This site is still my only online resource other than Mr. Google. Maybe this will be encouraging but I come here less and less for answers and more for checking out any new developments, like NightScout (the project is awaiting Mr. Amazon as I type this so, hopefully, by this evening) and to try and contribute to conversations that I have the most experience with at this time, which is OmniPod and Dexcom.

14. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

IME with other groups the format of message boards always leads to more informative members, better discussions etc than facebook. I'm not super active here but I'm new :)

Message boards are difficult on mobile devices. If this board had an app, or just did whatever magic needed to happen to get hooked up with tapatalk - that may help keep things active and/or keep new members.

15. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Mobile users can install the Forum Runner app ($1.99 in the iTunes store, for example) and have mobile tailored access to the CWD Forums. I just enabled the Forum Runner server side support and registered the CWD Forums so it appears when you search the app for "Children with Diabetes."

Hope this helps everyone who would like to connect here using a mobile device.

16. glorijeff

glorijeff Approved members

And you three do a terrific job, Jeff Hitchcock! I can't tell you how much I've learned from these forums and from the CWD website.