- advertisement -

Where is everyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darryl, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I've been in and out of the forums here over the past years due to working long hours but it looks like in Parents of Type 1 there are on a couple of posts a day now. Used to be a lot more if I recall?

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

A lot more, but I think Facebook keeps a lot of us united now. I'm still here...

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I noticed that numbers dropped when the format of the forums changed a while back…or it just may be my imagination. I'm still here, not as much due to schedules and I'm in contact with others on FB.

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Maybe facebook, it does seem like there are a lot of groups there. It's hard to group topics on facebook but on the upside, it's a little easier to determine on facebook if the person you are talking to is "real".

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, it may make posters more "real" at first but when I've poked around I find that the quality of the information is generally very poor and it almost seems that FB attracts a very one-sided communication and rather lazy Parents of PWD. They want instant answers to their questions and there's, to my mind, no community to be found there. It's like a fast food drive thru - I found it very tiresome.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I agree Sarah. Whoever owns/manages CWD probably needs to do a little work to keep things going here though. I don't think that CWD has a facebook page, they should.

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

Not sure what all is involved in the evolving change of how folks use sites. I think Facebook is more for people at least over 35?? Not sure what the younger parents use for information. It may just be that there are so many sites out there that when a newly diagnosed individual or parent with a newly diagnosed T1 does an initial search they get referred to other blogs, sites or Facebook pages. There is a lot of competition out there. I do think this site is a bit unique and the owners of the site need to figure out how to market it. The interaction on this site of parents of kids with T1 and individuals with T1 is pretty special. Not saying the other sites are not valuable but this site has tended to appeal to a range of folks and always included some die hard researchers who hunted out the latest info about tech and drugs, as well as those just grinding away with the day to day stuff who needed some advice. Parents are really an incredible force in pushing information forward and promoting learning. This is coming from a now adult T1 who wishes I had been exposed to this type of a site years ago.CWD get a good internet marketing person:D:Dali

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I've noticed the same thing even recently. I've only been a member for a little over a year, but it seems that posting frequency has slowed down very much even since then. Although I could be mistaken because in the beginning I did a lot of searches and a lot of reading of old threads, so maybe I was imputing activity where there was none.

For me, I posted a lot of questions in the beginning because there were so many firsts and so many changes and so many unknowns. Whenever I asked a question, I received plenty of great advice. Now, I simply don't have a lot to ask. This board's vibe isn't one of posting day to day events, so you almost need people to be having problems to get them to be posting, or newly diagnosed kids :-(

I always read and do try to post when I have something helpful to say. I think this resource has been more helpful to me than any other - internet or even in person - since diagnosis.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

I belong to some of the FB groups mainly to try to help other newly dx'd families. But I've found that it's almost impossible to help because any information I give gets buried along with some of the most idiotic comments/suggestions known to man. So I've pretty much given up. :wink:

As for when I need help? Any information I need/want I look for it here. :cwds:

10. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Posts are definitely down overall this year. But there's always been seasonal ups and downs. People are busy outside or vacationing in July and around the holidays they're busy. Now that it's August there will be a lot of questions about school and 504s.

But I agree with a previous poster who said the new forum format may put people off. I can't pinpoint why, but I don't like it and the change totally altered my posting and visiting habits.

11. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I hope there's something that can be done to prevent everyone from migrating over to facebook. I find the quality of information to be sooo good here. The one FB group that I joined had so many posts that were borderline hysterical. There's only so much I can take of that.

12. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I understand the comfort some find in a community more tied to "real" people. However, I find the opposite to be true for me. My situation is complicated, but the anonymity here allows me to be more open and honest. Many of the things I talk about here could be harmful to my career if they were tied to my name, and I like having a place I can escape that and just be honest.

13. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

^This is so true about fb, and exactly why I left. I personally haven't been on for awhile because I really have no questions or anything to say. We got dex the beginning of the month so it's been a lot easier for me to make changes.

I do think that some people have probably not gone on here specifically because sometimes people are mean on here.

14. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I agree with this. I didn't have a FB profile when DD was dx-ed, but I set one to join T1 parent groups. In the main group in which I was active, there was too much emotion-processing and too little hard information. Both are important, but the balance tilted way far in the wrong direction.

15. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

This cracked me up.

There are definitely more touchy-feely corners of the DOC, that's for sure! :smile:

16. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Sometimes you do indeed need a thick skin on CWD forums. However, the format lends itself to abruptness/misconceptions/taking things out of context etc.... Remember also that many of us are sleep deprived on a regular basis and T1D, well, stinks.

I have found the "pump wars" posts that erupt here every once in a while kind of funny. Us MDI'ers feel sort of left out! I mean what exactly do we have to argue about? :)

The one thing though that is so impressive about these boards is that if someone posts something urgent about a stomach bug, or an illness, or anything where T1D complicates things, there are numerous people here who care enough, even for complete strangers, and they offer solid advice.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  17. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I agree with this. I have had recent exposure to facebook diabetes groups and found that the level of diabetes literacy is very low among many participants.

Almost to the point where it quite sad and bothersome. I am kind of glad they don't give pumps out casually in Canada, because there are people with pumps who I really fear for their safety given their knowledge level.

18. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Yes! The diabetes Facebook groups have thousands of users- all that post like once a basic question then never should up again

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Thousands of users. Yet so many of the posts I see are from that Dave guy, and his army of muff cabbages.

20. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

It made me laugh too when I wrote it since it's something my 5 yr old would say. I couldn't think of a more appropriate term.