- advertisement -

Where do you test and inject at mealtimes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LARSMS, Jun 2, 2010.

1. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

A couple of weeks ago we had a second 504 evaluation meeting at my daughter's school. The issue of testing in front of others was discussed again. This all came about because the school told me some time ago I cold not test and inject in front of other kids at school and most certainly not in the cafeteria. Although nothing was resolved the district nurse (the local boss of the school nurses) asked where I tested and injected my daughter at meal times. She simply assumed it could not possibly be at the dinner table and seemed quite shocked when I told her that in fact we do test and inject at the dinner table right before she eats. She was convinced that this was unusual and the most people would most likely do this in the bathroom by the sink. She was thoroughly repulsed by the idea of testing and injecting at the dinner table.

I am dealing with the 504 issues and the question of when and where my kid can test. But the district nurse's perspective struck me as strange. I can't imagine we are that unusual in terms of families with T1 kids. Where do you test and inject your kids?

2. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

We test anywhere and everywhere! At school for lunch, David gets tested at the nurses office.The lunch tables and cafeteria are right across from her office so he has to head that way anyway. If he is feeling low then the teacher will call the nurse and the nurse will go to his classroom and test him there. At home we test all over the house, and yes at the dinner table. ;). We test him in restaurants right at the table, at baseball games, even waiting in line at Disneyland.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I used to do it at the dinner table. In school I did it in the cafeteria or classroom (each class has a designated classroom for lunchtime).

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

At the table either right before dinner or just when he starts eating and I am finished running around putting everything on the table!

I'm telling you, these people that don't deal with this in their own personal immediate family lives, have no clue. My sister is Type 1 for over 20 years, she does it at the table, well she did, she pumps now the past few years, but always did at the table. She would even, and still does, check her BG during business meetings as discreetly as possible, and no one ever said a word.

Since my son will be in high school next year, I've already spoken with the school nurse and she said kids there do everything... test anywhere they want, inject wherever..her office, cafeteria, etc. Really no restrictions, whatever they are comfortable doing.

Most times we test DS right at the table at restaurants (unless he feels too embarrassed..sadly)...and no one has ever said a word...i dare them :)

People are just "too scared" these days and sooo uneducated. IMO

- Kathy

5. Willy

Willy Approved members

We test and inject where ever we are and quite frankly if someone has an issue they can bring it up to me and I will tell them exactly what I think. My nephew (7 yo) does have an issue with needles so we are conscious of that and he will either leave or look away if we need to do it. My inlaws at one point made a comment when they were eating and I tested in front of them....something like 'don't splash blood in our soup'. Needless to say, we haven't been back to visit them. Our little guy is just over 2 yo and testing him is for his safety so, no I am NOT going to pickup and leave but will try to be discreet and also safe (ie we don't leave anything with blood laying around or sharps). This is a lifestyle...it is not a choice....therefore we do what we have to do when we have to do it and while I am conscious and obliging if there is an issue, I will not choose someone else's 'wants' over my loved one's 'needs'.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I predict that you will get 99.99999999999% of the parents here responding that they test and inject wherever makes sense for them and their child. The nurse is entitled to her opinion and feelings, but that should have Nothing to do with allowing your child to test and inject anywhere that makes sense for them (classroom, cafeteria, outside, inside, etc).

I usually give Danielle her injections on the family room couch, just because it is comfortable and since she is getting lead time she is not sitting at the dining room table yet. As for testing, it is all over the place, family room, kitchen, bedroom, porch, etc. At restaurants we test at the table and sometimes inject at the table unless she is in a shy mood then we will go somewhere else.

Stick to your guns about testing at school. Good luck...:cwds:

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I am completely repulsed by the thought of injecting my son in such an unsterile atmosphere as the bathroom! Ewww:eek: As a nurse she should realize that the germs in the bathroom arent just on the toilet they move through the air. We most certainly inject Steven at the dinner table. When eating out at a restaurant we also inject him right at the table. Im not sure why they have such an issue about this as it can be done very discreetly and the idea of blood borne pathogens doesnt fly with me either. None of the blood spurts through the air or anything

I'd like to know if this same nurse thinks that Moms should breastfeed in the bathroom when they are out:rolleyes:

8. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Anywhere and everywhere... including the table at both home and restaurants! :eek:

At school Emma checks at her desk but may recheck if low when she gets to the cafeteria-yes, AT THE TABLE!

It's like this...you do what you gotta do and honestly, if it is offensive or repulsive people have the option of turning their heads. That's my take anyway.

9. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

testing blood will spread way less germs than a snotty coughing kid at school. And if she is concerned about germs, then what is her plans for all the kids who are sent to school sick??

10. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

She may well be. We had an interesting back and forth during that meeting. I am still simmering about parts of it. There was another nurse there, an expert in special education, who in countering my contention that my kid should be permitted to test anywhere/anytime likened my position with a demand to allow my kid to brush her teeth at the school cafeteria sink. That one really got a rise out of me. Yeah, d-care and oral hygiene are the same thing. :rolleyes:

Oh, and as far as the blood borne pathogen issue. The district nurse brought that up and when I took out my two letter from medical experts and my current immunizations showing my kid was up to date on Hep B since that is the only possible contamination concern, my information was dismissed. I was essentially told, about any document that I produced to back up my positions, that they could not consider any "outside" documents/information. They had to go by what was provided by their school "bulletin". I am more convinced than ever that just because a person is a nurse does not mean they have the foggiest idea about diabetes and unfortunately some nurses seem to not know just how little they know.

11. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

My thoughts exactly! I didn't even like the idea of dd testing/injecting in the nurse's office last fall for the same reason. Our school was full of sick kids, huge numbers of cases of H1N1 going around, & most of them in the nurse's office. That's the LAST place I wanted her to be.

She tests anywhere at anytime...EXCEPT in the bathroom.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our 504 states that we are allow to test/treat anywhere on campus.
    She does not test/treat in the restroom, nor if she doesn't finish lunch does she eat in nurses office.
    Generally the places she tests the most are in class and the nurses office.
    For example at lunch time she tests right before she goes down. If she needs to be treated they do it in the nurse (on way to lunch most convienent), she goes to eat, stops back at nurse so she can see what is eaten and then she boluses with their assistance.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Texas is behind in a lot things, but they do have a law in the statutes that states a child who can self manage can test or give insulin anywhere on the school grounds.

My son went to the office for shots, as I didn't want him carrying a syringe around. As soon as he was on the pump, he tested and bolused at the lunch table. He does it in the classroom occasionally as well.

14. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Wherever we need to. When on MDI I did shots right where we were when eating. I did it at the dinner table at home, other family members homes, at the table in restaurants etc. When at her school for parties etc, I did it in the cafeteria, the classroom, once in the library when at a PTO meeting where they had snacks for the kids etc. Same for BG checks then and now. Once she was really feeling low when we were in line at Home Depot and so we did it right there. You do what you have to do.

I've never had a child at her school be disturbed by her checking or injecting. Heck most of them (especially the boys) find it quite fascinating.

15. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

I'd love to know if she has an answer to this. What's she going to do to keep sick kids from coughing and sneezing on your kid? :mad:

Oh, and to actually answer your question, we'll test and inject anywhere.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  16. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Yes, it's funny how an RN can lack the real world understanding of D. I think the bathroom is about the only place we don't regularly test.

17. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

The thought of testing and injecting in the bathroom is just gross to me. And it gives a message to our children that they have to hide it. Reann tested whenever and wherever she felt like it and so do I. I often test when I am shopping, and have even grabbed something off the shelf to start eating if I am low. I then take the wrapper to the checkout with me. Most are very understanding about it.

18. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we test and inject wherever her food is. If we eat in the livingroom we do everything there. If it's at the kitchen table we do it there. If we go out to eat we do everything where we're sitting.

19. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

As the others said, anywhere and everywhere. At home and at restaurants, he tests and injects at the table. No one has ever said anything to me, and heaven help them if they do.

His 504 states that he can test and treat anytime and anywhere at school, on buses or on school sponsored activities/field trips. He does go the the nurse at lunch to test and inject, mostly just to check in with her. If they're doing something special at lunch, he just does it wherever and lets her know later what his level was and what dose he gave.

Those nurses are way off, keep fighting.

20. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I think the bathroom is about the only place we haven't tested/injected! ;)
    Out to eat - at the table, at home usually in the kitchen, living room or his room, depending on what he is doing at the time.