- advertisement -

where did your pump start happen

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaTuTu, Jun 7, 2011.

1. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

My DD pump will be in our hands Thursday :D BUT I found out this morning that her pump start date most likely happen till the end of Aug :cwds: My DD team starts their kids on their pumps in hospitals but I was wondering if any of you have started at home with some sort of help that can come to our home? Reading some posts on here I have an idea that not all of you started in the hospital... I took the summer off from my classes because I wanted to focus my attention on my kids and getting use to being on a pump. I hope some how we can start Isabella before Aug... Hopefully by the end of this month!!!

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

We did it at home all alone after reading the manual and a check with the endo to confirm our initial factors and rates.

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We did 3 classes at the office. One was a general overview, the second was the saline start and the third was the insulin start. It probably took around 1 1/2 months to complete. Maybe you can check with the endo and explore other possibilities like working with someone from Animas who might come to the house. Who ever you work with, you'll need the support of your endo's office for the first number of weeks to help you tweak the basals and trouble shoot. Hope you can speed up the process!

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

My reaction is ... :eek:

I would say almost no one starts on a pump in the hospital these days anyway - unless there are other medical issues.

A CDE who was an Animas rep and also employed by our HMO came to our house to do the training and start him on his pump - took about 3 hours one morning.

There is NO way I'd agree to do a pump start in a hospital (assuming no other issue). You (and your child if old enough) need to learn how to fill the reservoir, change sets, troubleshoot, and work the pump. And you need to have back-up short and long acting insulin. The short-term learning curve is no way near as steep as being dx'd with type 1 - and needing a hospital stay so the staff can train the parents on how to care for the child.

I'm not encouraging you to go off with the book on your own but that is ridiculous. I'm surprised that insurance would even pay for the hospital stay this is so unnecessary.

5. MamaTuTu

Thats what I was kinda thinking I dont want to wait that long.... Ill have to explore other ways of getting this done!

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We had someone come to our home to demo the pump, but not for training. He got to insert a set and play with the pump, but that's about it.

For training we went to our Endo's office and met with our CDE, then she gave us ongoing support via email and phone till we felt comfortable.

It's pretty rare, I think, to start in the hospital, at least around here. Our insurance wouldn't let us anyway.

7. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

We started at home also...Animas rep came to our house with the orders and trained us and the school in the same day and we came back to our house for the hook up....I'm with the other's I would not want my pump start to be in the hospital...as soon as we where hooked up we headed to DQ for a blizzard to celebrate!!

8. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We had an appointment with our CDE at the Children's Hospital where DD was diagnosed and started in her office. We went home after that and did fine. We did have help from Animas for the first couple of weeks to tweek the numbers. It takes more than a few days to get them right.

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

We had three appointments with the "pump nurse" at the endo's office. At the third one we loaded the pump and hooked him and left. We had an appointment with her a week later to go over everything.

Nathan's endo isn't big on hospitalization---Nathan has never been in the hospital.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We started at home for both pump and CGM. Our trainer is awesome!

11. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

My ds was 2 1/2 at pump start with no hospital stay. We never had any structured classes through our d team. We had one appt where our cde showed us the different available pumps. The Animas rep got us started on saline the week after we got our pump. The week after that, our cde got us started on insulin in the pump. That appt lasted about 2 hours.

12. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We started in the medtronic office, we were trained by the social worker at Children's.

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I don't really understand--are you supposed to stay at the hospital all day or overnight? Or do you just go there instead of the doc's office? What would be the point of staying at the hospital when your rates will be different in your natural environment? Even school and summer rates are very very very different. Sitting around a hospital won't give you real basal rates.

We started at home with the MM rep. she came over, taught us what we needed and started us on saline. Then she came back a week later and we went live with insulin. We called for the first couple of days and sent in data for a few weeks. But then we were on our own--with help from this forum!!! :D

14. MamaTuTu

I just got off the phone with my DD nurse........................... Aug 24th is her pump start date...I feel so sad its pretty much 3 months away :mad: this really pisses me off. For the past 2 weeks the biggest thing getting me through my day without crying was knowing that the pump would be here soon... She has only been DX for about 2 months. I HATE giving her shots plus she is so sessitive to insulin. It seems like everyday we have atleast one big low between 45-80s range and usually right at bed time. Thinking abut doing this for another 3 months just makes me sick. I want her to feel better, and I dont want to keep doing the shots each day. I hate this.

15. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

The first thing I would do is tell your endo you're ready to go and that you view the wait as recommended but not mandatory.
    If you have the basals and you're comfortable counting carbs it's really not that complicated. At the very least I'd press them (and press hard) for why a hospital visit is necessary.
    If the explanation seems rational then press for an earlier appointment. If it doesn't, tell them you're ready to go.
    And yes, I know you have a young child. But the D physiology is the same regardless of age. In my case, I did not have to attend a single class or session. My endo wrote the RX, it was processed and the MM rep came to my house to deliver the pump (it was the first time I met her or spoke with her). She stayed for about 30 minutes, gave a speech that wasn't new or helpful and left. I've never seen or spoken to her again.
    I'm not suggesting you streamline things to that degree, but it does seem a long and unnecessary delay.

16. selketine

selketine Approved members

Did you ask for an earlier start date?
    Did you ask not to have a start in the hospital?
    Did you ask if an Animas rep can train instead?

I would think a non-hospital stay could happen more quickly.

You could go with someone like Integrated Diabetes - they will train remotely: http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/p_pump.shtml

However you have to pay - I doubt insurance would cover it.

17. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

We were trained by an animas rep who was also a CDE, she was in contact with our endo and got the start rates from them. One of the reasons I left our first practice (among 1000 reasons) was they were very controlling about the pump start, I had to take a class that was only offered once a month and it happened that the person who ran it was going on vacation so they wouldn't be having it that month, and some such crap. At our current endo, we met with our dr who showed us the different pumps and as she herself is type one and on a pump, showed Hanna hers. Then we chose and the rep came to our house and started Hanna right onto insulin, no saline trial.

Oh and I didn't have to train the school nurse because another child in the school was going on a pump at the same time and those parents took the nurse to pump class at our old practice.

18. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

As with any business, you need to talk to the person who has the power to help you - that may be the endo, since they are doing this in the hospital. If you can't talk to them, or they won't change the date, ask your pediatrician to make a referral to a different practice. Since you have taken the time off it seems very reasonable. If you have a good relationship with your pedi it might help if they called to ask - often a call from another doctor is all it takes.

19. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Yes, if you have not spoken to the endo about this, get directly in touch with him/her. I found I got really fast results when I looked up our endo online, found his email and emailed him. He cut right through all the crap his office workers were handing us.

J freaked out during his pump start - he was supposed to spend a week on saline (sterile water actually, as he was afraid saline would sting). After three days of having to wear the pump and still get shots, he was ready to throw in the towel.

I put insulin in his pump and we used it for bolusing only, still giving him his Levemir shots. But it eliminated the multiple shots daily with food and we had better control because we could bolus in much smaller increments.

Perhaps you could do something like that? It worked well for us until we were able to get our basal rates going (I wasn't confidant enough to try to set up basals by myself)

20. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

At home after reading the manual and watching the "how to video" online. We were on the phone with our diabetes educator from the doctor's office. It was just a little bit stressful :). But it all went well.