- advertisement -

where did your child's name come from?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MamaLibby, May 16, 2012.

1. Noel

Noel Approved members

DH absolutely didn't want either of our boys named after him....so here is what we went with...

All of the children in our extended family in their generation start with the letter A....it was never really planned that way it just sort of happened....my oldest is Austin, is middle name Bradley was my grandmothers middle name. We like it both ways Austin Bradley and Bradley Austin, but in the end we went with the "A" name first.... Since our last name starts with a C, his initials are ABC. Again, not intentional just worked out that way.

My younger sons is Aidan Zachary, I LOVED the name Aidan but DH didn't he really wanted a Zachary. Aidan would be the last child in that generation in our family so I didn't want him to be the odd man out and convinced DH to go with Aidan Zachary.

My own name is a little different and my Mom couldn't decide on a middle name for me. I was born a few weeks early, on Christmas day, so my aunt insisted on Noel as my middle name.....

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Have you ever seen that movie "Somewhere in Time", Christopher Reeves and Jane Symoure sp?.

Her character name was Elise McKenna, first daughter was named McKenna and my second got Elise for a middle name.

I had loved the name Mckenna since seing that movie way before I had a thought of my oun children.

3. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

My wife wanted a strong "last name first name" for our first kid if he was going to be a boy. She couldn't figure it out until she heard the neighbor looking for her cat one day, so Tyler it was. We were living in South Georgia at the time and couldn't come up with a middle name, so we joked we were going to call him Tyler Bob. We finally decided to name him after my mom since she died right after we were married, so it became Tyler Joseph.

She wanted another strong name for the second kid and decided on Zachary right away. It took a long time to come up with the middle name, but finally we decided to do a variation of my name: Bryant. So Zachary Bryant.

I know we're talking about kids, but we got the dog in Alaska, so that's why she's Kenai (Key-nigh).

4. LJM

LJM Approved members

Carter came from a baby book, but the middle name Jackson is the middle name for everyone in DH's family. So he is Carter Jackson.

Phoebe was my grandmother's name and the name of several ancestors. I paired it with middle name Ondine so her name means "shining wavelet." She is Phoebe Ondine. She wants to change her name to Stormy right now. Somehow that fits her better---but I told her it is not hers to change until she is 18.

5. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Kieran worked on so many levels:

• DH is Irish, and Ciaran is a traditional Irish name.
    • I'm half Indian, and Kiran is traditional (albeit often for a girl!).
    • I'm also half Cornish, and Cornwall's patron saint is Piran, which may or may not be a derivation of Ciaran.
    • Depending on which language you are looking at, it means "little dark one," which is what we figured he would be (turns out, he's not so dark!), or "ray of light", which is what we hoped he would be!

None of the kids' other names really works the way Kieran does, but it was too perfect to pass up!

Fun thread!

6. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I really liked the name Whitney and the meaning seemed strong to me. As for her middle name every girl has a French name in my family so Renee flowed well with Whitney. Renee also happened to be her godmother's name.

7. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

This may take awhile: Since our last name is Ford, my dh wanted to name a boy Henry, but I said absolutely not. It turned out we had all girls anyway. Our first is Roma Dianne, Roma after my sister that died when I was 7, Dianne after a good friend Sister Dianne who I was in the convent with and died shortly after I left (she was 23).

Our second is Renae Patricia, I just like the name Renae and Patricia is after her father (Pat)

Our 3rd I chose a name I really liked and finally got DH to agree to: Ronni Suzanne

Our 4th is after my dad and I, Robyn (for Robert( and Beth for her middle name.

Our 5th I wanted Ryanne, but my hubby wanted Reann, so she is Reann Marie.

Our 6th is Rheta Colleen. I always liked Rheta and Colleen both. Thank God there were no more. As you will note, all 6 girls first names start with the letter R and we were running out of R names.

8. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Our daughter's name was just picked from thin air lol! Kaley Morgan. Our son's well. That's different. We didn't want a junior but, we wanted part of my husband's name to follow each boy. So, they all have his initials and their middle names are all based on strength. Cameron Andrew, Connor Achilles and Collin Aramis.

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ian because we've always liked this name. Short and simple. Though we did get some flack about it because some people said it sounded like a donkey's "talk" - eeh-aaanh.:rolleyes: Whatever.

The other one is Alex. We couldn't decide on a name. Hubby wanted Ryan. I wanted Gwendolyn:D (before we knew it was a boy). Alex won. So, we got a lot of "Congratulations on little Alexander."... It's Alex. Short and simple again.

10. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We chose Levi because it's "evil" rearranged. You can also get live, veil and vile out of it, and as a bonus it's just one letter short of Elvis.

The real reason is just that my spouse liked the name and we wanted something that wasn't common. I had an uncle named Levi that I never met. Also my MIL had a short list of acceptable names and this wasn't one of them :D

11. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

This is some of the best reasoning I've ever heard :D