advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I donate unused/unopened insulin?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mischloss, Jan 17, 2007.

1. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

My dad recently had a shipment of meds come to our house with about 10 vials of Humilin. He is in Florida now (back after holidays) and said that his endo is changing his whole program...going to Lantus and Humalog, so in my fridge are about 10 boxes of unopened, unused Humilin that he won't be needed any longer!

I would love to donate them to some old age home or some facility where poor Diabetics can have access to them. Who should I call? I was thinking JDRF?

Thanks!

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

do you have any retirement homes in your area? I'd call them directly to see if they need it.. JDRF is a good idea.. they could point you in the right direction.. or your endo's office.. they may know someone that could use it:)

Kim

3. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I'd call the Endo's office. They may have patients who do not have insurance and must purchase insulin out-of-pocket. I'll bet they'd love some freebies! :)

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

I wondered this same thing recently because when we move to a pump we will have quite a bit of Levemir that will be unused. I emailed Insulin for Life. It is an organisation in Australia that supplies diabetes supplies around the world to those who would not get them otherwise. I asked if they have a group here in America. The response I got was that they accept insulin and test strips with at least 5 months to use-by date. They can just be sent by ordinary mail to:
    Insulin for Life Australia Inc
    c/o Dr A Jenkins and Becky Mosley
    Visiting Professor
    Dept. Medicine
    Section Of Endocrinology
    Univ. Of Oklahoma
    941 Stanton L Young Blvd
    BSEB 302
    Oklahoma 73104-5043

Lynn

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I pm'd you....

6. Boo

Boo Approved members

Huh...so much for the keeping it cool part?!

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I wouldn't give all the Levemir away. Even on a pump, you may need to go back to shots for a couple of days. We did this when Philip's pump screen went out a couple of months ago. It was 2 1/2 days before we received the new pump. I was glad to have Lantus on hand. I almost used it last night after Philip had a particularly painful site insertion and declared he was going back on shots. We ended up giving him multiple shots of Humalog until he got up in a better frame of mind.

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

If you google "insulin for life", I'm sure you'll find other countries have the same sort of organisation and details of how to post it etc. :cwds:

9. mischloss

There is the fridge and we got them around beginning of November so I think the 5 month to expiration date is okay. I would also have concerns about keeping it cool all the way to Australia. I would feel better just driving it to a local JDRF or ADA location.

I also have Lantus and Humalog pens from going on the pump with my son...come to think of it. I don't know about the expiration dates on those...I will have to check. Also, so older BG monitors...I bet someone would want those too.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we are required by K's endo team to keep Lantus on hand, just in case the pump goes.. which is has.. she had to go back on injections and Lantus for 2 days...

I'm sure you'll be able to find someone out there that needs it:)

11. mischloss

Just got off the phone with the local JDRF and they definitely have a list of nursing homes, etc. that can use some of this stuff. So I will be doing inventory tonight and will get back with them. Thanks all. I am going to put it into a cooler with a couple of ice packs and drive it over there or where ever the drop off will be. :cwds:
    "Waste not, want not!"