- advertisement -

Where are all the dads?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pavlos, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

2. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

It might be useful too if someone, maybe BrensDad could give some info on proper beer bolusing. I understand there's something called the "beer wave" or "beer combo" where you bolus up front for a certain amount of beer and then use an extended bolus for the beers you may drink later. If you stop drinking (I'm not sure why that would happen) you can always cancel the beer combo. I don't know the exact details though, but I'm sure their are many type 1's that would find the fine details very useful.

3. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

That guy is my hero too. I love the expression on the dog's face in the back!! I remember the burps I was able to do after having a beer sinking contest with my friends back in the day. I was unbeatable. 6.3 seconds to sink a bottle. 3.4 seconds if it's in a glass.

4. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

I loved your video.:D

Kirsten

5. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

LOL!!! I never bolus beer, then again if I do drink one, I just drink one..Any alcohol drops me like a rock:eek:

6. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I need more info about this..My 12 ounce cup of coffee in the mornings brings me up at least 50 points..I need the carb count:eek:

7. CDoyle1013

CDoyle1013 Approved members

My daughter's Dad is in heaven otherwise he would most certainly be involved.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

My God, this is brilliant! I'm now realizing that I have a grave medical condition called "beer-abetes", which can only be kept in check with regular infusions of beer. It explains why my evenings are so improved by a beer or three..

Fortunately, the beer doesn't need to be injected, just ingested. But the idea of a "beer bolus", "beer wave", and "beer combo" speak directly to my condition. I find when I get home after a long hot day, a beer bolus is needed. On the other hand, if puttering around in the garden, all that's needed is a basal flow.. Some situations (like card games and parties) call for both bolus and basal ingestion (ie. a beer combo).

This is a dramatic advance of the boundaries of the "male sciences", and many men will be grateful to learn of this groundbreaking work..

9. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I normally drink, let's see, a 6-pack per week. So that's a basal of 88.72 ml/h.

So that's roughly 1 beer a day until I run out, and believe me, when I run out, that's a serious situation. Untreated, that runs the risk of BKA (Beer-Lack-adosis) where the blood alcohol level runs dangerously low.

Symptoms of BKA include: not getting on the dance floor for the "Macarena", unhindered ability to shoot pool or bowl properly, and the sudden onset of manners.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

Does that account for bolusing, or do you find the basal is all you need?!

I find a ratio of about 1/3 bolus 2/3 basal is optimal for most situations for myself..

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am the reigning beer sinking champion in my neck of the woods...if everyone in the Northeast manages to get together - I'll have to take that record of yours on! I am unbeatable :D (Classy thing for a lady to admit - huh...)

12. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Is this a glove slap challenge you are proposing Young Blood?? You dare put out false claims of this magnitude for the world to hear... uh.. see!?! The challenge is on!! Once you admit defeat, you will bow to me as your royal beer sinker!! :)

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Becky (Lee),

You go girl!!!!! :D

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

We're on! I have been looking for a good reason to practice since lawn mowing season has been delayed for another month or two! And I admit defeat to no one!! You will kiss the ground I walk on when you witness the amazing swiftness at which the beer disappears!

(Although can we stick with glasses - cause - as I get older, when I sink a beer from a bottle, I either burp or drip - but boy, you should have seen me in my younger years! This is one of those talents that I really hope my daughters don't find out about!)

Thank you very much Miss Mammamia!

15. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

I am feeling the need to comment here.

I deplore the idea of competitive drinking. Beer consumption is a serious matter. Competitions simply get the people who would otherwise not drink to suck back beers that would otherwise be un drunk.

At least by them And so be available to professionals like say - me.

Strictly for amateurs.

I started my dislike of structure drinking events in college. All the protocol of when you could and couldn't drink. "The prince of wales tells his tales yatta yatta yatta" and no pointing. It was silly.

It cut in to actual drinking time to play the stupid games. Then there was the beer bong. What a waste. The fine crafted malt beverage ended up on the floor one way or another either spilled before consumed or consumed and then... well... expelled. Not tasted going in and not tasting good coming out.

No!Beer is a social experience to be enjoyed. The mystic clouding of a cold wheat beer, the fine nitrogen foam in a Guinness, the bitter and flowery aroma of a richly hopped up IPA. No my friends beer isn't about competition it is the community experience of savoring fine craftsmanship.

Beer is something that can bring us all together in it's image, blond Witbier, nut browns, dark stouts, American micro brews, traditional English ales, proud German pilsener, meticulously crafted Belgians.

No No NO! My friends beers should unify us in its diversity. Cant we all just be friends.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Friendship, shmendship Badshoe,

I'm still rooting for Becky (Lee) :D

17. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Bennet,

I'll have you know that some good does come of competitive drinking. 1) after almost 30 years, I still automatically use my elbow to point. 2) Grown men quake with wonder at my beer drinking abilities. Kinda gives me an advantage in a man's world, KWIM? 3) The Pirates beat the O's in the series in '79 during a rousing game of "Assassin." I maintain that the quarts o' Miller had some impact on this event.

I wholeheartedly applaud your well thought treatise. You have clearly been partaking of my personal favorite brew, "Brains" out of Wales. Fine, fine beverage.

~~Becky **not Lee**~~ (who may have once upon a time surreptitiously stocked the break room soda machine with the occasional canned adult beverage)

18. Barry

Barry Approved members

You suck at quarters, huh?

19. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I hereby nominate this thread as this month's best stress reliever. I am ROFLMAO.

~~Becky~~

20. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

ROFLOL Totally