- advertisement -

Where are all the dads?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pavlos, Mar 27, 2008.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

.. somebody had to do it..

2. AP-Dad

AP-Dad Approved members

This. I pop in now and again but often a thread that was started in the morning is buried on the 2nd or 3rd page by the afternoon, by then what I wanted to say was already said!

3. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I watched the vid and what I liked the most was your choice of music. Your video + early AC/DC soundtrack = excellent.

4. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I wish AH (the A doesn't start for "darling";)) would come here and talk. I'm trying to get him to read "Using Insulin" and it's like pulling teeth. For all you husbands out there that come to this board, I'm jealous of your wives!!:p

5. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Great video. You're a talented guy and you have a cute kid.

6. zell828

zell828 Approved members

My husband isn't one that goes on the internet too much so he doesn't really go to message boards or anything. He works during the week too whereas my job is right in front of a computer (I'm a secretary).

7. VictoriasDad

VictoriasDad Approved members

That was an awesome video. I almost cried when you showed the middle of the night test because it looked just like me testing my daughter.

Thanks.

8. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Slight Hijack.
    I'll read it. I've read "Pumping Insulin" but not "Using Insulin". Should I read it if I've already read "Pumping"? or is it pretty much the same material?

9. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I think they're both great to have as references.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

No ability to watch videos out here in the country, as internet access is via phone lines.. But good for you for making one.

11. medfa86

medfa86 Approved members

Video feedback

Thanks for the supportive comments on the video. Whether you can view it or not, the message is that I am a little (a lot) angry about this disease....still after two years. I think that we have a very good handle on MANAGING it, especially my wife. She has really taken this on as a mission and she is kickin some serious butt. BUT even as we continue to insulate our daughter from what is really happening inside her body, it can be frustrating at times. Every once in a while I just want to grab onto this thing and give it a good swift kick. Of course it won't even allow me to do that and unless you are living with this, watching your child live with it you can never understand that......., is this a DAD thing that I am describing or do I just need some couch time?:mad:

12. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

Don't get me wrong, the vid was good even without the soundtrack, it's just that particular song title was absolutely appropriate and was the icing on the cake so to speak. And being that's the music I grew up listening to as a teen, I almost cranked up the volume on my desktop speakers.

13. Jacob'sDad

I've thought of doing a video for Jacob and using the song "Fight the Good Fight" by Triumph for the soundtrack. I've heard so much soft and gentle songs in these videos that I thought maybe Triumph would be too heavy.

But I'll bet you'd like that wouldn't you Scott?

14. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I was actually a huge fan of The Who back in the late 70's early 80's but I can't think of a song of theirs that would fit if I were to make a video but I must admit that medfa86's choice was perfect for the point he was trying to make. Oh and by the way, Triumph is cool too.:)

15. Jacob'sDad

I know what you mean. So many songs sound like they might be possible and then you read the lyrics and they don't really fit. When you said The Who I thought of "Who Are You", "The Seeker", and "Can't Explain", but then I read the lyrics and it's like "I guess not".
    If I used "Fight the Good Fight" I would probably try to cut and paste some of the verses and maybe repeat one verse so that the lyrics were relevant.

16. medfa86

medfa86 Approved members

video feedback

That is really weird, my wife suggested the same Triumph song when I picked Nightprowler. I am the same way, grew up with AC/DC and absolutely love all of their music, especially the early stuff. This is one of my favorite songs ever and that is why this video probably feels different for me and you guys that already knew the song. Another blast from the past is Stryper, they were a Christian Metal band in the 80's and I figured that some of their lyrics might be appropriate too.

17. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

Well if any of the dad's are like my husband they have a hard time getting thier brains around this disease. My husband is the fix it man and he can't fix this which makes it very hard for him to accept. He is very concerned and wants to learn as much as he can but he is just not ready for group discussions or conferences yet. He likes to feel fully informed (although in this case it's not possible to know everything) before he feels comfortable talking about it. Also, I second (or third) the comments above. I stay home with my kids and have more time in front of the computer. When he's at his computer it is for work and that's what he does most of the day so he's not really interested in typing posts when he finally stops working for the day.

That said, I am very grateful for the dad's that do get on to post messages or answers. It gives a bit of a different perspective that is very welcome. So thanks to all you dad;s that have and/or take the time to converse with all of us.

18. Jacob'sDad

"Shining Star" by Stryper would be a good choice. Here's the lyrics:
    http://www.christianrocklyrics.com/s...hiningstar.php

19. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

Well it's obvious we've hijacked this thread but at least the ladies know where the dad's are right? Your mention of Stryper reminds me of a coworker who's a devout Christian but he likes his heavy metal music too. He's in a heavy metal band except it's Christian heavy metal as is Stryper. I took our boys and a nephew to one of his shows and they were expecting to hear a sermon or something but boy did they get knocked out. It was the same "in your face, blow your ear drums" heavy metal sound except with biblical based lyrics and the boys loved it.

I think I've got the wheels turning in Justins head to make his own video except he wants the theme to be something like "D's not gonna stop me" so what soundtrack he chooses will most likely be be loud, heavy and in your face and then use it as a school project for one of his computer classes. And by the way medfa86, Justin checked your vid out and he liked the video AND the music so well that he put a link to it on his MySpace blog site.

20. Jacob'sDad

Play your kid's some "Tourniquet".
    As far as Christian metal goes it doesn't get any heavier. Actually as far as metal in general goes it doesn't get any heavier. The lead guitarist is the best I've ever heard. The drummer is amazing too.