- advertisement -

When they are just a little sick....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pam H, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Pam H

Pam H Approved members

Joel has a really bad cold. He has lost his voice, is productively coughing, has a sore throat and has green junk oozing from his eyes and nose. His temp is just 99*.

His appetite is poor. I could only get him to eat two meals yesterday. He is tending toward the low... Anything I need to know about this? Should I let him ride a little high if I can?

So glad I can come here and rely on your wisdom! Thanks!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry he is sick. Just try and push fluids to keep him hydrated, and test him often. Check for ketones. Pretty basic stuff. You could call his endo to see if they want you to lower his Lantus temporarily. Hope he feels better soon.

3. Pam H

Pam H Approved members

His glands feel normal to me and his throat is red, but no white junk...

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh poor guy:( I hope he feels better soon. Definitely try to get lots of liquids in him, if he wont eat maybe he'd rather have a nice cool popsicle or juice that will keep him from dropping to low and soothe his throat too.

5. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Push fluids..lots of them...Soup is good too..sounds like he may have an infection with the green yuckies..Hope he feels better soon!! Ice Pops are a lifesaver on days like this...

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Ihope this doesn't come out wrong:eek: You don't get a temp. from a cold. Is he coughing worse at night than in the morning? He probably has something else besides a cold going on, you might want to take him in...I hope he feels better soon, poor little guy:(:cwds:

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

With the gunk coming out of his eyes, it sounds like conjunctivitis otherwise known as pink eye. You need to have the doctor check him. Pink Eye is so contagious. Poor kid, I hope he feels better soon.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This sounds like conjunctivitis. I would go to the doc and have it checked out. For us, conjunctivitis was a precursor to an ear infection.
    Hope it's just the common cold.

9. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Emma had almost the exact same thing last week...thought it was just a bad cold but her eyes kept getting so goopy that the top and bottom lashes got stuck together so I took her in. Turns out she had a double ear infection. They didn't treat the conjunctivitis but within 12 hours of starting the antibiotics her eyes totally cleared up. I am not one to run to the doctor but it sounds like you might need drugs to clear this one up.

10. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Ditto all the above.

Check for ketones. They sneak up on you when they are running low with little food intake.