- advertisement -

When does it get better????

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Quinn, May 16, 2012.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Personally, I think D kids are already at risk of feeling guilt when it comes to how their disease negatively impacts the family. We don't have to tell them that we are more stressed, more tired, more anxious than parents of healthy kids - they live with us, they are observant: they know. Telling a D kid that they are lucky to be loved seems to me to be inviting emotional and self-esteem issues on top of their already increased risk of eating disorders and depression. :(

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

You misunderstood what I said, and reading back I can see how it reads that way. What I tell her is that we do the best we can. Period. I don't tell her that she's lucky that her parents love her, I keep that to myself. It was just an example of how things could be worse.

3. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

I have said to our DD that caring for diabetes doesn't change but our ability to do it does. We get better at caring for diabetes and most days what is necessary becomes second nature. I always use silly analogies and dd jokingly laughs at me. I tell her it's like learning to walk. It was hard for a one year old but now she does it without thinking. And I tell her hopefully one day it will be as natural as breathing....where some days it's easy and on days when you have a cold, it's hard... Diabetes should be the same, easy some days, but other days it like having a cold and something as easy as breathing becomes more labored.

I don't know if these analogies help or if they make light of a difficult situation, but I hope it helps her deal with the more difficult d-days when things just don't go right.