- advertisement -

When does an ugly site need a dr visit?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joy orz, Dec 29, 2008.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Ava was bouncing on her bouncy ball today and said her site hurt. I changed it out and sure enough it was red. It's not hot and she doesn't have a fever (though we just got over a fever) BUT it is redder than any site I've seen before.

She was bouncing around like a jumping bean on it, so the redness could be from that. I sprayed it with Bactine and covered it in neosporin.

How do I know when to worry?

2. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

We've never dealt with an infected site before, so I'm strictly going off of what I've read on the forums.
    Hot to the touch, red, puss, and they draw a circle around it to make sure it's not getting bigger.
    If in doubt call your Pediatrician. That would be me:eek:

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

red hot to the touch and just looks "angry", call the DR.

4. HalHan's Mom

HalHan's Mom Approved members

We just went through this on the 23rd. I removed site b/c on morning of 22nd b/c it was bothering my daughter. The site was red with a black dot where the canula was. It almost looked like a spider bite. The next day the red ring was bigger and the bump was bigger (filling up with puss). I wasn't sure what to do, but neosporin wasn't cutting it. The endo office gave us a pescription for bactrim in cream. Two days later everything was cleared right up.

5. Reagan's Mama

Reagan's Mama Approved members

Keep a eye on it. What the others said is right, hot, puss, etc.
    We had one that I was trying to keep an eye on at home turn into an infection that tested positive for MRSA. It was not a pleasant experience!
    Good luck, I hope that it heals quickly on it's own.

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Call the ped endo and ask or go see the pediatrician to look at it.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

We have had 2 infected sites so far.

Red, hot, and sore to the touch...

The first one, we went to our Ped and got her on antibiotics...

The last one - happen Xmas eve eve - she was at her Dad's, he tried to pop it- DO NOT! I got her the evening of Xmas Eve with an infected painful site. Called the ped, of course no one was in...so I put a hot wash cloth with epsom salt on it every 30 minutes for a few hours, then anitbiotic cream and a bandaid. I told her I would take her to the ER after we open presents if we needed to. The next morning, we checked it out and it popped and started draining. More epsom salt, more puss came out, and then it went away...

If it had been any other day except xmas eve, she would have been in immediatly - they really are not something you want to mess with.

8. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Thanks everyone. The site looks much better today. I think it was just too close to the "seat" of her toosh. Those rotations on a skinny two year old are tough. Anyway, with all the bouncing on her ball it seems to have gotten knocked around, but the redness is much smaller and more like a pin prick today. PHEW!!!

I can't wait till she gets more meat on her bones and we can move things around a bit.

9. Nova

Nova Approved members

Sounds like my 7 yr old. He has NO meat on his bones at all. None. So we are limited to his rear for the sites. He did have 1 infected site a couple of months ago. I took him to the Dr and they put him on antibiotics which cleared it right up. It just had a look to it that I knew it was infected.