- advertisement -

When do you use Frio?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Snowflake, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

At what temperature or for what length exposure of insulin do you use Frio or other insulin cooling system?

We were living through a hot Southern summer when my daughter was dx-ed and during her 6 months on MDI, and during that period we always brought freezer packs with us to keep the insulin cool.

But ever since starting the pump and moving to Colorado (which has temperate summers), we haven't sweated insulin temperature very often. We're going on a couple of 2-night car camping trips this summer, where the backup insulin will be outside for 48 hours at temps topping out around 85 for a few hours late in the day.

We'll probably throw the insulin in the drink cooler, but I'm curious if there is a rule of thumb / cutoff for when to do this? And if the insulin in the bottle is at risk, would the insulin in her pod reservoir be also?

2. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Hi Snowflake,

We always make use of our Frio whenever we travel. Our backup, unopened insulin are always in Frio bags regardless if it is a weekend trip or a month long trip. I don't trust hotel refrigerators, we have had our water bottles came out frozen before, so I keep my insulin in frio even when in hotels. I just remember to re-wet them every couple of days.

We very rarely will keep opened insulin in our frio bag. We only do that if we were out all day on a very hot day, or when we go snowboarding up on the mountains.

We have not being concerned or had any problems with the insulin in the pod reservoir. When we go snowboarding, her body and the jackets keep the pod warm enough. On very hot days, we are usually on the beach, or indoors, so the pods do not get that heated.

We love the frio.

3. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

Whenever I travel (insulin storage) and whenever I'm at the pool/lounging around on super hot days (to keep my pump cool). I made the mistake of not putting my pump in my frio after lounging outside a few days ago (100 degree heat index), and my pump started giving me the "I'M OVERHEATING GET ME OUT OF HERE NOW!!!!" alarm after maybe 30 minutes outside (I have been to Disney in much hotter temperatures and never experienced that alarm until recently).

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

We use the small Frio wallet 24/7. It's where my daughter's current ("in-use") vial of insulin lives. And we don't live in a particularly hot climate (Pacific NW).

5. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Same here, but we're in the NE. I like it in the summer since we don't have AC and it can get quite hot in our house, plus if I'm on the go I know the vial is at a safe temp. Mostly we use it to protect the active vial.

6. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Thanks, everyone!

This thread is making me feel like we've perhaps been too lax about this since moving to a cooler climate. It's been a really long time since I've suspected bad insulin, but I guess we could sometimes lose efficacy around the margins without realizing it. This is good to think about during the summer, especially now that she's in all-day outdoor summer camps.