- advertisement -

WHEN do you stop testing in the middle of the night???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pauji5, Sep 22, 2009.

1. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Not really sure. I guess if you feel 100% with your basals and there has been no extra activities that would lead to a low? I can feel 100% and then 5 minutes later we are low or high! Diabetes doesn't sleep therefore neither do I:p

2. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

If the cgms is not working or off we will check every single time. I would never let Hailey go 4 hours or more during the day without checking so I would never do it at night. Most nights I just have to look at the graph and see if it is trending up or down. If the cgms has taught us anything it is that there is NO SUCH THING as "stable" when it comes to my daughter.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Lately we've rarely checked overnight.:eek: If that midnight check is ok, then we're off to bed. Luckily, we're riding a "good" BG wave for the past couple of weeks. It won't last, of course.

4. Phyllis

Phyllis Approved members

This is a difficult but important question. All children are unique but here are some ideas from our experience. First, if you are using a pump with a bolus wizard, set the target a lttle higher after supper ...we shoot for 140. This gives you a little margin of safety. Second, adjust the bedtime snack based upon the glucose reading and always provide some protein with the snack. In our child's case, if he is under 100 his snack will consist of approx. 30 grams of carbohydrate(a glass of milk is part of the snack). We do not bolus for this snack when he is under 100. We learned this by trial and error. If your child is unusually active during the day, more carbohydrate may be needed to maintain blood glucose during the night while the body replenishes glucose in the the liver and muscles. A partial bolus will help to replenish the glucose stores without causing either high or low blood glucose.

So, if there is a reason to suspect an increased risk of low blood glucose you may want to check before you go to bed (say 11 or 12) and if you see that
    the glucose is low or heading that way, you can give an extra snack then to prevent a low. Until you feel like you have a handle on what works here,
    you will probably still want to check during the night expecially if the child is low at bedtime.Finally, if lows during the night are frequent and unexplained, work with your provider to adjust the insulin regime. Good parenting question.

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'll let you know! :)