advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHEN do you stop testing in the middle of the night???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pauji5, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

It's 2 am and I routinely get up to test Kendall quickly and most of the time she's fine. BUT, just when I think, "OK, I don't need to be doing this......" She's 56. Retested to make sure, and she's 50. Now, I wait. How to people decide not to check? I don't think I'd sleep - I'd keep wondering how low she was.. sigh.

2. lynn

lynn Approved members

I'm sitting here with a 378. Two nights ago we were also in the 50's.

I feel your pain!!!

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Never. You may have a stretch where you don't need to check, but then poof, a crazy number will come up and it's 2am and you're watching infomercials!

Last night, Abby was 195 when I went to bed. Nice. So, I decided not to check, and she wakes up at 317! So, it looks like for the next few nights we'll be doing some checking to see what's up.

4. Snowbound

Snowbound New Member

When we were on injections we never tested in the night (after the first couple of months) unless he was sick.

Now we use a CGM with the pump so we only check when the alarm goes off, which is the "weak signal" error 99% of the time. The sensor's on his arm, when he sleeps on that arm and the pump gets pushed around to the other side it sometimes gets the error.

5. joan

joan Approved members

I always check my son before I go to bed around 11:30. I will decide not to test later if things have been relatively stable the last few nights, my son did not have a lot of exercise that day, and ate a good well balanced dinner with some fats. My son really goes down at night with exercise so those nights I usually get up.

6. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I check whenever I wake up spontaneously in the middle of the night, which usually means 3 or 4 nights out of 7. I probably don't have to check every time I wake up like that, because the lowest I've caught recently has been 80, but old habits die hard. I don't know that I woke up "just because" or because I'm low, and the only way to tell is to test.

7. Toni

Toni Banned

For us, it will be when she leaves home. I am hoping the cgms technology becomes almost foolproof or some other advance will occur before she is 18. I don't want her having to get up in the middle of the night herself for the rest of her adult life.

8. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I will never stop checking. My SD is super sensitive to foods at night and I just can't trust that she would be sitting at a good number without me checking. I usually check a couple times a night even (every 3-4 hours). I have had highs and lows both. I don't feel her Diabetes goes away at night so I shouldn't stop being on top of things. JMO

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  9. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

When his numbers start being 'not good' we start checking in the night. When he was on the pen we rarely had to check. Sometimes if one of us gets up, we'll just go check, if he's been sick-we check, etc. It will probably be on & off checking in the night forever. Just a way of life now.

10. mcleodja

mcleodja Approved members

either when there is a cure or megan moves out on her own, whatever comes first, until then 02:00 every night

11. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

We are going on our 5th year with D and I am up every two hours. Crazy yes, but my body is in the routine and my mind needs the reassurance.:eek:

12. selketine

selketine Approved members

Never - heh.;)

With the CGMS we now only get up and check when it beeps and sometimes that is a lot and sometimes not at all. At least there is some "peace of mind" that any issues will be caught.

13. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I don't think I'll ever stop checking in the middle of the night...I don't check when she has on the CGMS, usually, but any night she's without it, I check.

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Ditto here. We probably check twice a night if he's not wearing the CGM, which is rare.

15. CButler

CButler Approved members

My dd doesn't wake up for lows.
    Exercise during the day causes uncertainty during the night.
    Growth spurts
    pancreas still deciding to help out every now and then
    Fat spikes....

I wonder if she will ever have any stable nights???

So...I check 3 hrs. after last Novolog(around 11PM),2AM and around 6 when my husband or I get up.

16. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

The only way after 8 years that we've stopped checking is because we have the Navigator. And even with the Navigator we have to do something 3 or 4 out of 7 nights. Carson's been running very high at night lately, and last night he sat at 80 all night.

I have heard from several sources that things don't start to really level out until after puberty. Those growth hormones are nuts.

17. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'll stop testing in the night when DD moves out on her own, not before. :)

Many nights all we see is that everything is fine, but there's been lots of nights where we caught a rapid drop in BG that could have turned into a bad low and were able to nip it in the bud.. :cwds:

18. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Still checking after seven years. Less now, with the CGMS, but my daughter doesn't feel her lows, so I have no plans to stop middle of the night checking.

19. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

I think this is one of those, it is your decision type of things.. We don't typically check in the middle of the night.. I usually check him before I go to bed around 10:30 and DH usually checks before he goes to bed around 12/1.. If his numbers are crazy then or have been a off most of the day, we will check in the middle of the night, also if it is site change night.. But since getting the CGMS, that's even come down some..

20. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

We check DS every night at 3 AM and we have been since dx a year and a half ago. DH and I take turns, so that helps, but it still stinks. Endo always tells us that we don't need to, but I just know the one night we skip will be the night that he's low. At this point I think we'll be doing this until he moves out :eek: