- advertisement -

When do I change the time on the pump while traveling?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bsbllmom, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

We are going on a trip and there is a 3 hour time difference. Do I change the time on the pump when we get there or do I even change it at all?

2. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I always change the time because I use my pump as my watch :eek:. If it's a relatively short trip, I wouldn't worry about changing the time.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We were told to change it as soon as we get there.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I change it when I get on the plane. I've never travelled further than a 1-2 hour time difference, if I travelled much further (like 5-6 hour difference or more) I might stagger the changes, for example change 3 hours on the first day and then 3 hours the next morning. But honestly, things are so messy when I go on vacation anyway that basically, everything I do is just damage control. :eek:

5. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Ok we will have a 3 hour time difference. Thanks everyone.

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I agree with this :eek:

The effects of vacation on my BG are often unpredictible and honestly I'm not sure changing or not changing my pump makes a huge difference.. but I do change the time to whatever it is locally because like others have said - it's my watch when my phone isn't handy.

Just be prepared for anything, and have fun :)

7. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

"...things are so messy when I go on vacation anyway that basically, everything I do is just damage control..." That statement is priceless. It made me laugh out loud.:D

8. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We went to Florida last October for a week. I didn't change the time on DD's pump until after we arrived before bedtime. When she got up the next morning, she was on a regular routine for meals that corresponded with the carb ratios on her pump.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We frequently travel across one time zone to my in-laws, and I never change the time on DS's pump. At Christmas, when DS's numbers were perfect as they always are at Nana and Pappy's house (better than at home, better than at my family's house which is in the same time zone that we live in--even with all of the junk he eats there and all of his excitement), I finally clued into the fact that his settings worked better when they were off by an hour. When we got back home, I moved all of his settings up by one hour, and it made such a difference!

I know it's a bit harder to leave things as is when you are skipping 3 hours, but sometimes if it interesting to shake things up a bit and see what happens!

10. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I would be inclined to change it after I arrived, but exactly when might vary. For example, we recently flew to Hawaii -- 9 hour flight and 4 hour time difference.

Our endo suggested changing the time on arrival, however, had I done that, she would have jumped backward to her early afternoon basal rate, which is the lowest of the day. So instead, we waited a bit and did not change the time on the pump until much later, in the evening. That seemed to work out okay, it meant she spent more time than usual on her late afternoon - early evening rates before heading into nighttime ones (which are her highest).

Coming home (flying east), we changed immediately, which meant that DD bypassed her early morning basals (also low) and went to breakfast time basals.

11. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I change druring the flight, for a four hour time change(9 hour flight) I change about every 1.5 to 2 hours.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

So true!

We generally go see my bro in CA and it's a 3 hour change. We adjust the pump when we get there. Then, we see two days of lows followed by about 2 days of highs. Then it's time to come home again and the process starts all over again! We've lowered basal, we've upped basal. With us, you never know what you are going to get:eek::confused:

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Wow, I should ask my niece this. She is a flight attendant and wears a pump. Never considered this! Wonder if it makes things nuts for her?

14. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

I'll give you a great example of when NOT to change the time. Don't change the time between 11pm to midnight as you change timezones traveling east. We did this once while she was sleeping in the car... bumped the time from 11:15 to 12:15. Some time the next day the pump halted because she reached her maximum daily insulin amount. The counter never had a chance to reset at midnight.

15. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I had to change mine on the way to Aruba (only 1 hr difference) I looked for the time when My basal was set the same (ie 12:00-5:00 0.750/hr) and changed it then, not sure how to explain why....