- advertisement -

When did you get up last night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chbarnes, Aug 21, 2010.

1. buggle

buggle Approved members

I was up just twice last night. He alarmed going low, so I lowered his basal setting. Then, alarmed again later, so I had to suspend. After that, smooth sailing until he woke with a number right at 100! :D

We've had many rough nights, where we're up every 1-2 hours the entire night. We usually just spot each other and each just stay up half the night when aggressively correcting highs.

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Gee this is a fun game!

Last night dd was 85 at 12:30, so I gave juice and a cracker (no AI, no big deal, I thought).

Set myself up in the rocking chair with a magazine and wait for the sensor to rise.

20 min later it alarms and arrow is straight down. "What the deuce?" I had a sickening feeling in my stomach as I checked the sensor site. Yup --- sensor wire had come right come out! Inserted a new sensor at 1 am. Checked BG it was then 109. Checked at 2 am, steady.

Catnaped uptil 3 when I calibrated the sensor. 3:30 I set up the monitor and went to bed.

(The only good thing about last night was that I learned when I don't use ice --dd was alseep-- to insert a sensor, I can attach the transmitter in 10 minutes and get a green light!)

3. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

This reminds me that it really can be manageable in adult life. We once went to an "Advanced Pumping Class" where they explained all of the rules:
    You know, during a full moon you do this, if you have fallen under the Evil Eye you do that...

One class member was a 60 y/o accountant who conceded she never really changed anything on her pump, hadn't in years. Her A1c was 6.5.

Maybe when our kids are grown they will just have to get up to pee and nothing else.

Chuck

4. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

bad nite here too...

went to bed at about 10:40 pm, my daughter came in an joined me first which woke me up, then the husband woke up frm the sofa and came in. at 1215, my son came in and said his sight fell off.... oh joy, luckily he was not too high. so had the alarm set for 3, did not get up til 4ish, and checked them both, and then we had a wet bed problem so sheets had to be stripped. i lost my place in my bed and went and slept in my daughters bed.

lovely night, huh????

5. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

Last night....I had to do a site change @ 10:10pm due to forgetting earlier in the day, and a BG of 345. Was up until 1am, and was woken up at 6am by my cell ringing:rolleyes: My mom wanted to chat....and I wanted to sleep:eek:. Tress woke at 7am @ 88.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Well Ashleigh's at my parents, so i didn't get up with her. However Catie woke me up around midnight, 3am, 4am and was up for the day at 5:30am.

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Hmm...let's see. Tubing ( on the lake...not her pump!) For Zoe's birthday, decided to rip off Dex as it was halfway off and 10 days in anyway. Got home and forgot to put a new one in with all the birthday stuff. Put numbing cream on at 9:45. Checked Morgan at midnight, sensor on her Dex wasn't reading, checked with meter, 185, so gave little correction. Zoe's battery died in her meter, so had to go up 2 stories to get Morgan's meter. Brought Morgan's meter down to callibrate Zoe's dex. She's 140 (miracle with all the activity and party food). Go back up 2 stories to see if Morgan's Dex is reading yet. Nope. Move it closer to her on the bed and plug in the Dex to charge (don't know why I think this will help). Wait till 1:00, Zoe's Dex is working great, says a steady arrow at 130. Go back up to the third story again, Morgan's Dex is reading at 133. Alarms set on Dex. I went to bed and slept till 5:00, checked Dex's and everyone's good. Back to bed until......wait for it.....9:00!!!!!!!! : )

8. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

3rd night in a row (if thats what its called) here was odd... Kids decided to sleep in the text outside. I was leary as I had adjusted basal, an increase although small from 3 - 9 am. Check her at 10 she was 166, bolused. 12 she was 117 still had a little IOB and not sure how basal change will fly so i give her 6 carbs, recommended bolus of .25, didnt do with the whole basal change kicking in soon and them being outside where I cant hear dex alarm. Check dex (new sensor calibrated a few hours ago reading off a bit at 133. Checked her at 3,:eek: 285, rechecked, maybe i got it wet with humidity? nope...278 ( wondering how long it takes to digest the lasagna we had at 6). Made her come inside to check site and tubing but everything looks good. ( i get a hug and a thank you mrs Pancreas from dd and off she goes). Bolused for high, checked dex, ???...what! this is the 2nd sensor that when she skyrockets it bails out, what is up with that? anywhoo....check at 5 157 with .5 IOB..finally! Going out to check in 2 minutes. Frustrating night! Made more difficult by having to check BG with a flashlight hanging out of my mouth, stretching into a tiny two man tent over sleeping sore legged brother. UGGGG, some nights I just want my old life back! I am exhausted! Sorry if I am rambling 6 hours of sleep in 3 days is killin me!

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

No CGMS alarms last night either! Got up at 4AM for a BG test because the CGMS hasn't been totally accurate. BG was 123 :D.

10. chbarnes

Show-off!

Chuck

11. Bill

Bill Approved members

The past couple of nights I have shut off the alarm in a semi-sleeping state, to wake up an hour later in a panic. I am tired from the disrupted nights sleep (and extra hours painting a house for my in-laws after the kids are asleep).

I just woke from a short nap - I hope that helps me awaken to the alarms tonight. (I usually get up at 12:30 and 3:30 am on the 'no event' nights.)

Here's to some rest for all of us...

12. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Well, last night was worse than Saturday.

High at 9.30pm, corrected, and then Phillip admitted he hadn't changed his site when I'd told him to earlier. 10.30pm down a bit, but still too high. Changed site and corrected again. 11.30pm same as 10.30pm, another correction and increased basal. Decided I needed to get some sleep at some stage so set alarm for 1.30am. Going down, slowly. Another correction, up temp basal. 3.30am still going down too slowly. Another correction. 5.30am 1.2!!!!!:eek: All the corrections and temp basal increases must have hit him at once. Grab the jelly beans and stay awake for retest. 6.30am up for the day and I now can't remember what his blood sugar was then. Hopefully tonight we can get a better night.

13. EmilysMom

EmilysMom Approved members

This is our first weekend on the Animas Ping. Friday night I was up all night as Emily tested low at midnight and after treating the low, she still was low 20 minutes later. So I called the doctor on call and he had us disconnect for the first night since she had half her Lantis in the a.m. After that, there was no way I was going back to sleep.

Last night was a little better although at midnight she was low again but I treated and she was 126 at 12:30. I tested her at 4 and she was 220 and then this morning she was 102. I'm not sure if I should have corrected for that 220 at 4 - this is all still very new. We see our doctor on Friday so I'll ask.

I have to go back to work tomorrow after a week's vacation - hope I can sleep a little tonight :eek:

14. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

LOL Chuck! You took the words right out of my mouth!

But, CONGRATS Emm! Hope you enjoyed the sleep. You so deserve it!!

15. KHM

KHM Approved members

Man...I hate that everyone is having such a hard time but let me tell you: there is great relief in knowing I'm not alone.

Putting our summer nights in context, let me just say that L is rarely in bed before midnight and we also usually eat supper around 8:30 pm (it just suits us better). We're on MDI and don't have a CGM yet so a typical night has a 3AM and a 6AM check since she's been known to go low during the night.

After L's lights out at midnight, I lay in bed and read for a good long while. By the time I was ready to sleep, I decided I might as well stay up till the 3AM check. She was 109 which was a bit low for knowing she's likely going to sleep another 8 hours so I gave her two glucose tabs. I slept until 6AM and by then she had fallen to 54. THESE EVENTS DO NOT ENCOURAGE ME TO SLEEP. That was the end of the sleeping for last night. We slowly got her bg back up to a decent number and she slept happily through most of it.

Of course its awful when a person can't sleep; it has such repercussions. One thing I hadn't imagined is that having L here to facilitate checks and management of lows has been sufficiently disruptive to my DH's sleep that more often than not he ends up in her bed... I hadn't imagined our moving to the separate bedroom model but things kind of look that way. I know DH has to sleep; he has to work so we can take care of the family. It just sucks. On the other hand, he looks pretty amusing under her Hello Kitty comforter and sheets....

16. emm142

emm142 Approved members

:p If it makes you feel any better, last night I had a high alarm at 2am, a low alarm at 3am and a high alarm at 4am. Then mom woke me up before she went to work because it's raining and I had her umbrella... I suppose the long, uninterrupted sleeps couldn't last forever.

17. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

UP at 3:03 am... and he wsanst high, 157, which was good...now if he wakes up high in a few hours, i won't know why! so frustrating. But anyhow, who can really sleep anymore...always sleeping with one eye open.;)

YEAH he was 168 at wake up, i think that's what i heard! so not too bad really...at least it wasnt mid 200's!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  18. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just an FYI.

If you google "Benefits of too little sleep", you may not find any.;)

19. chbarnes

Well, his site failed last night -just after eating at The Olive Garden. His BG went quickly over 400. We really didn't know how much of the bolus or correction he actually got. But you know, I had a pretty good night's sleep. In fact, I only got up at 3:30. You see, My Good Wife slept on the floor by his bed, getting up frequently to make the necessary adjustments.

Chuck

20. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I'm in the no sleep club too. The last week has not been fun. I think it's the adjustment to school, mixed with the start of an intense volleyball schedule. Days are sorta predictable, but the nights seem to be anyone's guess.

Last night we had high alarms at 1, 3, 4, 5am in spite of me gradually increasing the temporary basal % and correcting. I'm thinking Sunday night syndrome, but who knows?