- advertisement -

When did you get up last night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chbarnes, Aug 21, 2010.

1. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Last night, we discovered that Chris's site was leaking around 11pm. He had just finished a bowl of chips and salsa, for which he had bolused and taken a correction. Apparently, he didn't get much of the bolus. His BG went to 375. We changed out his pod guessed at a bolus and went to bed around midnight. At 2am he was 265, so far, so good. At 4am he was 175. Surely, no IOB, so I gave him 1unit, about half the recommended bolus.

Well, better is the enemy of good enough. At 5:30 the Dexcom alarmed. He was 60 and then dropped into the 50s in spite of suspending his insulin. Now we are waiting to see if we gave him enough Sprite.

So, I was up at 2, 4, and 5:30. Now, I'm up for good. So, since misery loves company, when did you get up last night?

Chuck

2. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

Havent been to bed :( I hate diabetes!

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I had a night like that the night before! Lows all night with giving gluocose tablets and temp rates and juice box.:(

Luckly we had the Dexcom or I would have never guessed he would keep going down after juice etc.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Misery is a good word for tonight! Lets see...Seth had football, then went to a dance, when I picked him up at 10:45 he was HIGH. The pod was kinked. Changed it to his arm, hit a vein pulled it off. This happened TWICE third time back on his belly was fine.

For the HIGH I had given him a shot of 8 units then another 1.5 units from the pod to get it going (That's what the PDM recommended.) Did I mention that he had 2.0 ketones on the meter? Tested an hour later and he was in the 400's so I knew everything was working... Waited another hour and he was still in the 300's so I gave another correction but subtracted some insulin. Two hours later he was 64, gave juice waited 54:mad: Gave two juices because I'm EXAUSTED. It's 5am and I'm waiting to re-test.

Did I mention that I think Seth might have broken his thumb when a kid landed on it while doing a drill where the kids jump over each other while in a push-up position??? Is that a normal football drill because it seems pretty stupid to me to do it with people? At some point I will be taking him in tomorrow:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How's that for company?:cwds:

5. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

You are not alone ... the other night was up all night with juice in hand on the hour it seemed! I agree, we have the MM CGM and thank goodness, it definitely helped.

What I would not give for a night of uninterrupted sleep! :D

Lisa

6. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

This is definitely helping. You read Pumping insulin and you think you are just going to get this thing wired. But sites fail, boluses are missed, dosages are miscalculated, and sometimes you think you are doing everything right and it just doesn't work. People who know your situation, but don't know diabetes assume you must be doing something wrong. After all, they know someone who just takes 2 shots a day, they don't do ANY of this, you can't even tell they have diabetes.(grrr..)
    And even though you know better, you secretly feel you are doing something wrong. In fact, I do something wrong every single day....

Chuck

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Yep! Totally how I feel. Then there days, like yesterday when BGs decide to pay me a good surprise visit, and I feel "Yeah! I rock!", then back to frustration.

Sleep is for me the BIG problem. Must find a way to make it better.

You're not alone.

It is 2:40pm here, so I shouldn't be complaining, but didn't go to bed til very late, just because my sleep patterns are so disrupted.

8. MadeleinesMom

MadeleinesMom Approved members

Checked sugars at 9:30 good 115 then 11:00 95- went to bed, woke at 12:00 checked sugar - 70 had to give juice, checked at 1:30 - 105 good for the night. Checked at 7:00 at wake up and 120 - good number. I don't even have to set an alarm, I just get up.

9. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

What is night? Is that different from day?

10. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

I am too scared to sleep through an alarm so I just stay up most nights and grab naps as I can.. I completely get the whole feeling like we are doing something wrong feeling, I dont know how many times people mistake grandpas diabetes with what all of us here go through..grrr..anyhoo...u are surely not alone:)

11. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Good Morning,

Maybe you can sneak in a power nap this morning? We were only up once, but I still feel like I could use a nap and it's not even 8 yet!

Ditto. Especially when it's someone who you see often and they still don't get it after all this time.

12. Mom2henry

Mom2henry Approved members

So well asked!

I was up 4 times-and H's bg would not go down....

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Misery loves company.

I have to agree with Darryl, sometimes it doesn't feel like there's a difference between night and day!

I love the following comments from friends:

You know, you really should get more sleep, it would do wonders for you

You know, isn't that pump thingy supposed to help control her numbers? That should allow you to sleep through the night.

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, I'm very lucky in that Jack was at my parents' house last night, so I slept ALL NIGHT. Can you imagine?!

The night before was pizza night. It was literally our best pizza night ever, but I was still up 3 times. When you send your 6 year old to bed with 4 units on board, you know you're not getting much sleep, even when no disaster ensues.

15. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Gosh, I'm up several times a night since diagnosis almost a year ago- I just cant sleep anymore.. and when I do doze off I'm dreaming about BG!!! I hate that I think #'s when I first see or think of Zakk!! Isnt that just aweful??!!! Will this ever lighten up? Hopefully this new Dex will bring a bit more peace to life..

16. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

3 times.

Adin went to bed with insulin on board. I checked before I went to bed like always :rolleyes:. He was on his way down, good. Get up 2 hours later he was a smidge higher then when I last checked him. :confused: Delayed absorption, not enough correction, surely not a rebound? Sit and contemplate giving another correction. It had been four hours since the last one so I went ahead and did it. Get up 2 hours later, yeah on his way down but not crashing. Get up 2 hours later just to make sure. Lay in bed can't sleep. Get up.

17. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Correction at 11 pm, good at 1 am, low battery alarm at 5:30 am... changed battery-rewind-reload-prime-hook back up, correction at 6:30 am.

Imagine Sean spending the night ANYWHERE so I can sleep through the night is all I'll ever do, as reality is still that nobody else has learned the first thing about taking care of him. :rolleyes:

18. emm142

emm142 Approved members

No CGMS alarms last night :D So I slept from 1AM to 9.45AM. It's so rare for that to happen at the moment, my alarms are at 80 and 150.

19. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I got up at 3 to go to the b/r, shut CGMS alerts off(parameters too tight for night time), went back to bed and slept in till 6:30!!

20. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip was 4.1 (73) at 9.30pm. A bit lower than I'd like (under 4 is hypo for us). So gave him some carbs and tested again at 10.30pm, then again at 12.30am to make sure he wasn't dropping. Then the usual 3.30am and 6.30am tests. Didn't correct the 9 (162) at 6.30 and he still woke up at 2.2 (39). Looks like I need to change some basals.