- advertisement -

When a tslim gets low on insulin...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by quiltinmom, Oct 3, 2015.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

...do you find you get highs? He has had tslim for about a week.

Ds was low on insulin--he said 10-20 units--when he changed his site. he started to rise around 2pm, site was changed at 4:30 ish, still climbing, dinner with a shot (for correction as well as the meal) near 5:00. He was 400 at that point. It was site change day, and to my knowledge the only alarm he got was site change reminder, no occlusions, etc.

I suspect the new site may be bad also, but we are waiting before pulling it. If it is good, he may have stacked insulin some (not sure which corrections came from which site) but banking on some resistance from the high, hoping he doesn't come down too far.

He has left the house with dh now, so I don't know what is happening (don't have share devices yet), but I assume he has started to come down.

I don't know why he went high in the first place. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the pump not delivering normally when it gets low on insulin. I don't remember him being high before site changes before, but we haven't had many. I don't think it is just an older site problem, as he has gone 4 days many times with no problems, although it is possible. Just trying to troubleshoot, coming up with possible explanations.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I have wondered if my daughter gets high when there is only a small amount of insulin left in the T-slim. I have definitely seen it happen a few times when I saw no other reason for a high. I have also seen her not be high when it is low on insulin. And I have definitely seen her high when there is no known explanation and there is plenty of insulin. In the end I do wonder about the same question but I think I need more time to really know.

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We haven't, but she does see that with old sites. She got in the habit in the OmniPod days of leaving old sites on for a few hours after a site change, too. Seemed like pulling the old one led to post-change highs, too.

4. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

I have not seen that problem. The usual culprit for us is a bad site.

5. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We had that problem every single time to the point that I just considered that 15-20 units (on top of the hidden 20 units) lost. We have been using omnipod for a few months now. Boy, do I miss the tslim touchscreen and interface. But I do NOT miss the cartridge change process.

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

We usually see highs after an Omnipod site (pump) change. But this is apparently not uncommon and we've learned to just automatically bolus extra after changes. Another good thing about the Omnipod: when it's running low, it's "Good to the Last Drop". (Was that from a very old Folger's coffee commercial?)

7. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter hasn't seen highs at the end of a cartridge. She loves to take the cartridge down as low as she can as well - she's such a procrastinator!

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Sometimes we see it starting to creep up at the end - I usually attribute it to bubbles. But, if you're site is getting old at about the same time, its likely the site. If he kept going up after new insulin, then its likely the site.

9. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I've never noticed higher BGs unless dd tries to push the site longer. She usually lets the cartridge run down to 2-3u before she changes it.

10. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Thanks everyone. He came down pretty fast from the shot, leveled out in the 130s, and we never changed out the new site. It was fine after all. Soooo glad he had dexcom! He could just keep an eye on it and I didn't worry he would have a low he couldn't catch. Why did we wait so long to get cgm? :)

11. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We often have highs at the end of the cartridge. Not every time but we do watch it closely.