- advertisement -

What's worse: Type 1 Diabetes or Autisim?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AprilHoover, Sep 25, 2009.

1. AprilHoover

AprilHoover Banned

Hypocrites annoy me. Point blank. Everyone feels bad for the Autistic kids at school (I'm from Kansas, and I'm 14, btw,) but no one feels bad for me, a Type 1 Diabetic. We had a meeting about Autisim at school today, and people agreed about how we shouldn't judge them. In fact, some of my friends are even Autistic! Yet, these people continue to be hypocrites and not look into Diabetes - thinking that I got it from eating too much sugar. Do people EVER understand? I know that Autisim is bad but at least they don't have to have to deal with THIS! Sorry for my venting, but it annoys me how no one gives us Diabetics any sympathy. I think Autisim is worse, but Type 1 Diabetes is almost just as bad in a different way (unfortunately:mad:!)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I understand what you mean...I think its because there is more "awareness" out there with autism, breast cancer, etc..and not very much on type 1...I wish there were commercials (other than Mary Tyler Moore for JDRF) which you rarely see anymore..
    Autism is difficult..and so is type 1..no doubt.
    You have sympathy here..we know what you go through...we go through it with you and our kids everyday..its not easy..it sucks..

3. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Not to downplay autism, but last I heard, Type 1 is a life threatening disease. Autism also comes in various degrees of severity as well. I personally would not compare the two, it's like comparing apples with oranges. I know a bit about autism because I had to have my son checked for it, and I believe he has mild spectrum autism.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

that's like comparing which tastes worse...a mouth full of bugs or a mouth full of nails.
    Whatever you happen to have in your mouth tastes pretty bad and neither is really ideal and both pose their own challenges.
    So....
    My advice - perhaps you could go onto the ADA and JDRF websites and pull up their information specifically for schools. Print it off take it to TPTB at school and educate your school yourself. But waiting around for someone to give you sympathy just doesn't cut it. Do you REALLY want sympathy?

There's a really great teen forum a few forums down. Lots of other great kids to talk to, many of whom are active and thriving with diabetes and I bet none of them want sympathy. :)

5. AprilHoover

AprilHoover Banned

Thanks. I don't want sympathy - but I feel like Type 1 Diabetes is too under-hyped. People were acting all upset at this Autisim meeting, and they were agreeing about how we shouldn't judge people by their cover, or what disease they have and stuff like that. I agree, but I feel like they're so nice to the Autistic kids and not to me when it really is equally as bad. I just feel like no one understands me. Also, yes, I would go in the teen forum but no one's really in there anymore :[.
    - April.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I'm only familiar with one case of autism, a teenager who hasn't been able to talk or communicate since he was 2 years old. He has to live in a special needs home, needs 24-hour care. Apparantly autism can range from very mild to very severe, but in the most severe cases it would seem to be "worse" than T1.

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

You're right on this point - D kids are often denied accomodations by their schools, as it seems the school principals don't even understand the importance of making an exception to let a kid eat when they're low.

8. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

I have a friend with an autistic daughter. I'll take my son with T1 any day. JMO!

9. Lance

Lance Approved members

Well, you're always welcome here. :D

You raise some interesting points. Before my grandson's dx, I knew a little about d (sil has had t1 almost 50 years), but my knowledge was limited. Most peoples impressions are formed by the publicity surrounding type 2. We (in this forum) all know the differences, but the average person doesn't really even know anything about the differences. Because of the publicity about "the obesity epidemic" and the stories about how fat and lazy people are, the general public perception is that people with diabetes brought it on themselves. Not true for t2, and really not true for t1. All you can do is educate the people in your life who matter, and ignore the ones who don't.

And always come here when you need support!

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

you can't really compare the two.. they are so different.. nothing similar about them, except kids that have to deal with either are not 'normal' (whatever that is...) With T1, there is no different level.. you either have t1 or you don't.. we all deal with the same thing.. with Autism, the spectrum is so large no two autistic kids are the same.. My neice is autistic, at the age of 3 she couldn't communicate, she only screamed... she is now 16 and because the awesome teachers she's had she can communicate and is considered more on the 'high function' end of autism.. she'll never live completely on her own, always be dependent on my sister.. but there are some autistic children and adults that are brillantly smart.. and others that need 24/7 care..

I totally understand what you are saying.. because t2 is on the rise and looked at as a 'your fault' disease, t1 doesn't get the.. can't think of a good word here.. its not taken seriously.. this absolutely needs to change.. they've made such a hype about t2, and even then they have info wrong.. its NOT always a weight and junk food issue..

come here and vent anytime..:)

11. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

This is really an apples and oranges comparison.. but I can say that I do agree, that T1 specifically is "under"hyped as you put it... part of the problem is that for the most part, diabetes in general is an invisible illness - and what little most people do know about it, almost always has to do with T2. Unless someone does deal with T1 on a daily basis, they just don't "get" what it takes to manage. Autism on the other hand, is somewhat more visible... I think that fact alone gains it more sympathy.

It's not fair, but then again none of it us.. I wouldn't choose one over the other.. if given the choice I think we'd all choose to be free of any chronic conditions.

12. Andrews mom

Andrews mom Approved members

When you write "Everyone feels bad for the Autistic kids at school (I'm from Kansas, and I'm 14, btw,) but no one feels bad for me, a Type 1 Diabetic. "
    I just want you to know you are lucky people dont have to feel sorry for you.
    After you live with someone who is autistic, you would never write this. Autistic kids needs help all their lives- yes, even "high functioning" ones. Some days are great days, other days are hell. Their brain doesnt function right. You can do whatever you want to do in life- autistic children can not. I could go on for a long long time about this but I will just let it go and say this- think positive about life. Dont compare who is "worse". Dream big- nothing can hold you back, dont let diabetes make you feel like you need to say you are worse off than someone else and need to be recognized how bad you have it. You were blessed with a functioning brain- use it.

13. Steff

Steff Approved members

My son has T1 and an Autism Spectrum disorder (Aspergers) and his younger brother has moderate Autism. Honestly both issues suck and they each have their own worries and concerns. I think you should speak to your guidance counselor about awareness for T1 if it bothers you. My son with Autism can't speak up for himself but you can and should.

14. AprilHoover

AprilHoover Banned

I'm sorry if I offended you, and I do understand since I know plenty of Autistic people, and they are my friends. Some of them have high functioning Autisim, and others do not. I'm not saying that I want everyone to feel bad for me, and I am an optimistic person, but I just can not STAND hypocrites!

15. AprilHoover

AprilHoover Banned

Thanks, sorry about that. Maybe I will :].

16. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I have a dau with type 1 and 2 grandchildren with some form of Autism. Reann, my dau, is married and can live a normal life. Neither her niece or nephew can. When my grandkids mother and father are no longer here, my granddaughter will have to be in some type of institution. Her brother may be able to live on his own and function, but it will not be the same level of functioning as Reann. I think if I were to ask her she would take the D over the autism. I know I would. And she didn't want sympathy from anyone.

17. Steff

Steff Approved members

Oh, I'm not offended I just know what its like to live with both and I refuse to say if one is less difficult to live with. Obviously you feel strongly about getting out awareness and that is a good thing. I know that right after my son was dx with T1 his school teamed up with JDRF and they came out and spoke to the whole school. His school also did a walk to raise funds. Maybe you could see about that?

P.S. I'm also from KS and I miss it so much!:)

18. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Well said.

Yes, T1 and Autism are totally different. I live with both in my house. Connor and my dh have T1 and my daughter has PDD-NOS (an Autism spectrum disorder).
    If I had to choose between the 2 I think I would have to choose dealing with diabetes over dealing with autism. Connor leads a completely normal life except for having to check his blood sugars and take his insulin. He has friends and gets invited to parties. He has so many things my daughter will never have no matter how much money we spend on medication and therapy (and I assure you we are trying everything we can).
    Connor plays sports, will likely go to college and get a pretty good job someday, probably get married and have kids. I'm not sure my daughter will be able to do any of those things.

If you asked me which was worse I'm pretty sure my answer would be autism.

19. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

I understand you are saying that Autism gets recognition at your school and type 1 diabetes does not.
    I agree that type 1 does not have much notoriety,but that may change. There is a little more recognition among young people since Nick Jonas talks about it and now that Hanna Montana will have a type 1 character.
    I think the poster who said organize a Walk for the Cure (or whatever appeals to you) has a great idea. It would be a great opportunity to educate others. If you are too shy, get one of your more outspoken friends to do it for you. If the school balks, then suggest that our school does it for autism, wouldn't it be great if more people learned about diabetes too? Their education may help save a life one day!
    You go!:)

20. lynn

lynn Approved members

I'm sorry you are having a hard day.:( We all need a pity-party every now and then and I feel like we are all acting like the parents that we are (;)) and telling you to buck up keep on going.

Go ahead and wallow in self-pity for a few minutes.:D Here's a giant (((HUG))) for you.

Now, buck up, and be grateful for the life that you are given.:D We ALL have our problems and it isn't healthy to begin to compare. It tends to make people feel like you are feeling right now.:p