- advertisement -

What's up with our sensor?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by slpmom2, Nov 3, 2011.

1. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

We've been using the same transmitter for just over 3 years, and suddenly it's behaving strangely. It's doing things like changing the amount of time needed between calibrations (e.g., going only 6 hours, not 12 hours), and putting itself into warm-up mode as if we'd started a new sensor but we didn't. These are not what it does when it's at the end of its battery life or the sensor itself is going bad. Has anyone else seen things like this when the transmitter was at the end of its useful life? Or is this likely something else? I know I should probably just call MM about it but, since it's not a critical issue, figured I'd check here first to see what other people's experiences have been.

Thanks!

2. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

With a 3 yr old transmitter, I think the most likely answer is that it's time to replace it.

If you don't want to take a chance on being without a working transmitter I wouldn't procrastinate too long on calling Minimed. We just ordered a new one and it took over a month. Sometimes it takes awhile to get the necessary paperwork through the insurance company and doctor's office.

In our case there was also some silliness on MM's part with the rep. trying to get approval for sensors and getting denials from the insurance company. Apparently, no one noticed that we've been using the CGM for 2.5 yrs and already have approval for the sensors, and I had just received a 3 month supply which was prompting the sensor denial:rolleyes:

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Ditto. I'd replace the transmitter. Three years is probably a normal lifespan for the MM transmitters.

4. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

That's what I figured - thanks.

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Three years, that's a great run!

We had one that barely squeaked out a year.

6. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Yes, we've been very lucky. We suspect that it's done well because we use it almost all the time, which keeps the rechargeable battery operating the way it's supposed to.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We've had the same problem the last few days...only our transmitter is 5 weeks old. I called Medtronic today, and they had me test the transmitter. It's good...so we tried restarting the sensor. If we have more problems with it, they'll replace it. It gave a weak signal and couldn't find her even when it was directly on top of the transmitter. :(

8. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

Ours (minimed) tend to last just the one year, if we are lucky - impressed with 3 years!!