advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best artificial sweetner ?

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Food' started by Bahama-mama, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Bahama-mama

Bahama-mama Approved members

Whats the best artificial sweetner to use ?

2. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Personally I think they all taste yucky (sorry!) my DD likes stevia though.

She generally uses small amount of sugar or syrup, etc, or adds fruit for sweetness. For example, on oatmeal DD likes 1-2 tsp of sugar or syrup and/or an apple chopped up and mixed in.

3. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

We mainly use Splenda at our house. We do use Sweet N' Low on Morning Coffee (you can't run a radio station group without caffeine).

4. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

I like Xylitol, although we do use Splenda once in awhile.

5. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Anything ending in "tol" is a sugar alcohol and can cause major spikes in some people. My son is one of them. I personally prefer the taste of NutraSweet.

6. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Splenda here..Everything else is evil on Amanda and "runs right through her" to put it bluntly..(sorry)

7. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

We mainly use splenda, but will also use sweet 'n low as well. It seems to be "sweeter" than splenda.

8. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

Splenda at our house.

9. MomtoPatience

MomtoPatience Approved members

We use stevia or agva nectar, but we are T2 and insulin resistant.

10. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

We use stevia, raw agave nectar or xylitol.

I recently read an article on agave nectar being hard on the liver, so I'm considering not buying it once we run out.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

Splenda for the whole family.

12. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

splenda but if were baking then we use half splenda half sugar

13. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

We just use regular sugar and dose for that. I read a pretty disturbing article about artificial sweetners, especially when you consume more than one artificial sweetner at the same time. I'll have to see if I can dig up the article.

14. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Same here.

15. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

We use sugar in stuff- like for baking, for on top of foods a drizzle of honey - like oatmeal, or real maple syrup on pancakes or waffles or french toast- yum! I mix a variety of whole grain flours into pancake and waffle mixes. My son loves hot tea, a little honey and milk in it. I measure the honey and milk and cover for the carbs. It is fine. Our Diabetes nutritionist did not recommend fake sweeteners. I can't remember what she said was bad about them. Once in awhile we do drink diet pop though. Not too often.

16. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Sugar, or if it's a "diet" product I only use Stevia, the only "diet" product I have is Zevia soda

17. 3boys1girl

3boys1girl Approved members

We do not use artificial sweeteners in our home. I figure diabetes is enough without putting something into her that is not natural and may cause more issues. We either use natural sugar in moderation or stevia. Stevia is so widely available. Powders or liquids. You can even purchase all kinds of flavors. We have added them to sparkling water for a great carb-free soda. We have root beer flavor, orange, grape, vanilla, etc. Also Zevia is awesome. We only buy it on special occasions, like a family picnic or something. Zevia and the liquid flavored stevias are available at Whole Foods here. And the bottles last forever because you only use a few drops. We recently purchased a stevia sweetened lemonade at Trader Joes and it was only $2.29 for the 64 oz. bottle. It was really good. The main thing I guess is what works best for your child. Sometimes it just takes time to figure it out. Best of luck to you.

18. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

19. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Over the years, the whole family has stopped consuming drinks with sugar in them and is content with the sweetness cereal already has.

Other than an occasional diet drink, no artificial sweeteners are used in cooking in this house.

20. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

And what do you thing of Erythriol?