- advertisement -

whats a thread?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JCROZIER, Aug 17, 2009.

1. JCROZIER

JCROZIER Approved members

I'm new to all this chat room stuff. What is a new thread?

2. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

You just started one. Try going to User CP next and enter some things about yourself so we can get to know you better. You should update your signature at the very least. I know I like to see where you are from and what the dibetic situation is.

Have fun!!

TRACY

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello, just wanted to say welcome:) and do post more threads. your first one came out just fine:D

4. JCROZIER

I think I get it

Okay, I think I get it. I know what a thread is..DUH! How could I be sooo stupid. I did my signature. Is there anything else I need to do?

5. Becky Stevens mom

now nonsense! your not stupid:) Are you the Jeanette I spoke with in the parents chatroom today? Cades Mom? Now what you can do in the introductions area is tell us a little about yourself and your child with diabetes if you like. Then the whole gang will come and greet you and make you feel welcome

6. toohughey

How about a photo? And more info in your signature about your child. We are a curious bunch of folks!

TRACY

7. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Welcome aboard. You did great starting the thread and no you are not stupid. I have been here for awhile and still don't know how to use the quote feature or put a picture up. :eek:

8. JCROZIER

About Cade

Okay, here it goes: On June 22, 2009, I started giving my 2 oldest boys ( Ryan who is 6 and Cade who is 4) some Fruit and Veg. pills. Apparently, you give them 2 of these pills a day and they will have 3 full servings of fruits and veg. a day. So, I started doing that. On June 25, 2009, ( 3 days later) Cade started c/o stomach pains. I didn't think much of it at first. Just thought he ate something bad or picked up a virus somewhere. His stomach pains would come and go. Then on Sat. when he started complaining again, I thought, " Well, maybe he is hurting from these Fruit and Veg pills. Maybe there is "too much fiber" in them for him." Yes, he started drinking a lot and peeing a lot at this time, but I contributed that to the so-called "too much fiber" fruit and veg pills. The "too much fiber pills" are making him drink which in turn is making him pee a lot. The thought of diabetes never ever entered my mind. Not once! So, on Sat, the 27th I stopped giving him the "too much fiber" pills. On Sun the 28th, we went to church. Cade again started c/o stomach pains. We brought him home. At this point, I'm thinking, "well, these "too much fiber" pills have to get out of his system. I'll give him another day to get over this." Back in March, he got a very bad virus. ( little did I know that this virus is what started all this) I still had some antinausea meds left over. I gave him one of the pills and he started feeling better. No, he wasn't throwing up and he never did. I just thought if I give him one of these pills maybe it will help his stomach pains. It did. He started eatting more and feeling better. The next day, June 29, 2009, here he goes again c/o stomach pains and laying around. Yes, he slept some during the past 5 days that he was symtpomatic of diabetes, but I contributed that to him being a growing boy. He wasn't sleeping a LOT. Just every so often he would fall alsleep on the couch. Me and my husband did notice that his eyes were sunken in over the weekend. Again, we didn't think much of it at that time. Then on June 29, 2009, I just sat there and looked at him for a few minutes. His eyes were still sunken in, he was c/o stomach pains and not doing much. So, I decided to take him in to the doc. I thought to myself, " This is going to be a wasted trip. I'm going to take him in and the doc is going to tell me what I already know which would be, Its a virus. Let it run its course." Also, Cade wasn't eatting and I noticed that his clothes felt looser on him than the previous week. He also had a little bit of a fever on Sun. the 28th. So, I take him into the doc ( I almost didn't). Now, my doc ( Dr. Sood) is very much in tune to her gut feelings. However, she will not tell you if it is this or that because she doesn't want to put you on an emotional roller coaster ride. She looked down Cade's throat and she said that there is puss on his tonsils. She said that sometimes when you have strep throat, you can have stomach pains too. We did a strep test. It was neg. She then started thinking that maybe he was impacted with poop cause he hadn't had a bowl movement in 4 days. We try to go do a KUB ( an xray that looks at your intestines). The machine is broken. Do y'all hear what I am saying? THE X-RAY MACHINE WAS BROKEN!!!! That was plum crazy. We go back over to her office. She then starts to come back in asking me more questions. I confirmed to her that yes, he was drinking a lot. She then asked if he was peeing a lot. Like wetting the bed. I said, " Ya know...he sure is. Come to think of it. I am having to change the sheets a lot the past 5 nights" I also pointed out to her that he has lost 3 pounds. She said, " Oh, I don't believe that." I said, " I do. The clothes that fit him last week, doesn't fit him now." So, little did I know the wheels are rolling in her mind. She is already thinking that it could be diabetes. I am still clueless at this point. She then tells me that she wants to do a urine sample. I said, " Sure." I am thinking, " Oh, she is looking for a UTI. No big deal, right?" Then the next thing I know they are bringing in a blood sugar machine. I told the nurse, " He isn't diabetic." Dr. Sood says to me, " I want to do a blood sugar on him." I say, " Okay." The first sugar reading was 275. I tell the nurse, " That isn't right. re check it. He isn't diabetic. " She did and the next reading was 289. I started to sink. DR. Sood came in and looked at me and said, " Jeanette, he is diabetic." I lost it. I completely lost it. I NEVER loose it like that in front of my kids. NEVER. I try to stay calm about everything. I don't want them to feed off my anxiety..EVER! But this completely blind-sided me.Everything about diabetes flashed before me eyes in a matter of minutes. I started crying and falling into an abyss. ( A deep dark place that I didn't want to go). Dr.Sood pulls me out by saying, " Jeanette, you have got to get a handle on yourself. Your going to get upset then these kids are going to get upset and then I'm going to get upset....and you don't want me upset. LOL" She had a nurse come in and take my 2 other kids out of the room. Then it was just me, her and Cade. I told her that I have to step out a minute and call my husband. I did and of course, my husband is just as shocked as I am. He comes up to the office and talks with Dr. Sood. From the doctor's office we went straight to the hospital. They admitted Cade. That is when we found out that the virus he got in March is what started all this. He had diabetes for 3 months and no one knew. The reason no one knew is because the Endo doc told us it takes 90 days for the sx to start to show up. It was right at 90 days when all this started. I am utterly grateful to Dr. Sood. She called just about every night that we were in the hospital. She also informed me that in the 26 years she has been a Pediatrician, Cade is the 2nd kid she has ever diagnosed with diabetes. She tells me later that the X-ray of Cade's intestines was a stalling maneuver. She was stalling. She knew something else was wrong with Cade. She didn't know what it was, but she wasn't going to let us go until she found out. She said she had a gut feeling about Cade and something was nagging at her the whole time. She didn't want to let us go until she found out. She said, what gave way to her feelings was that she didn't like the way Cade's eyes looked. They were sunken in. I know Dr. Sood very well. She tells me that I read her too well. I knew when she kept coming back in and out of the examing room that she knew something else was wrong. So, Cade's sugar in his urine in the doctor's office was so high it wasn't measureable. His Ketones was in a VERY large amount. So, that is the story about Cade. So, now that y'all know the scoop, I hwant to know if I did this right. Is this under my signature? People keep asking me to put more info under my signature. So, did I do this right?

9. Becky Stevens mom

You did just great Jeanette!!!:D Now I can welcome you with open arms to the family!!! I talked to you the other day in the chat room when your youngest pulled you away:) I hope all is well with you and your boys. We are all here to support you Jeanette, now that you found CWD youll never be alone with the diabetes. We're only as far as the computer. Come back in the chat when you get a chance

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Wow, what a story! Unfortunatlely, you are in the company of other people with almost the same story. Diabetes is always a shock to the family and tough to work into the routine.

Welcome to the forums. You and I are from the same neck of the woods. I live further up IH35 in Austin.

Your signature is great. Some add their child's gender, date of diabetes, and current treatment plan so that folks can tune in quickly to posts. There are hundreds of posts made every day and it is a helpful reminder to include basic info in the signature.

11. toohughey

Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the forums. Come and chat any time.

TRACY

12. JCROZIER

to Amy

Where are you at on I-35? Maybe we can meet somewhere.

13. JCROZIER

Help me figure this stuff out

Okay, for anyone that can help me: What is all the topics under the forums about? See, I think I know what the introduction topic means. I beliebe I just introduced myself. So, I believe I got that right. But what about the "general discussion" topic and " parents of kids with diabetes." When I click on any of those, I get my topics. What does all this mean? Gosh, I feel like an idiot trying to figure all this out. So, laugh if you must. Just help me figure this out!

14. Becky Stevens mom

Hi Jeanette, dont worry Im not going to laugh at ya:) Now you did great with the introduction section. If you want to ask a question or make a comment you can use the other sections, either general discussion, parents of children with type 1, or under that there is parents OT. Questions or comments having to do with diabetes can go in the parents of children with type 1 or OT stands for other topics, you can put anything there that you like. To start a new thread click on New thread and start typing away. To answer or make comments on other peoples threads, click on the thread in the list, scroll down to the bottom and click on reply, now you'll be ready to reply to that thread. I hope I answered your questions Jeanette:cwds:

15. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

You're not an idiot at all.

Let's start with some simple definitions. First of all, you are at the CWD (Children with Diabetes) forums. A forum is a place to discuss things. At these forums we discuss diabetes. There are multiple forums here. When you are on the main forum page you see the list of all the forums (Introductions, General Discussions, Parents of Children with Type 1, etc). Each one of those is a forum. The name of the forum is meant to briefly describe the types of information that is shared in that forum. This is the Introductions forum, a place for folks to introduce themselves (as you have very successfully done) and meet other folks.

You are now the parent of a type 1 diabetic child so you may want to ask questions related to taking care of a child with diabetes, or you may simply want to read what other parents are talking about in regards to their diabetic children. You would do that in the forum titled "Parents of Children with Type 1". "General Discussion" would be for things that are general in nature, not specific to any of the other forums. If you are interested in talking about insulin pumps you would do that in the "Insulin Pumps" forum.

The forum names are meant to give you an indication of the type of conversation/questions you would expect to find in that forum. Do your best to keep the discussion in the forum within the scope of that. Some of the forums have sub-forums. For example the "Parents of Children with Type 1" has a sub-forum called "Parents OT". The "OT" stands for "Off Topic" and is a place to discuss things non-D related with other parents.

Don't know if this makes things any clearer, I hope it helps a little. If not, please ask more questions.

16. toohughey

If I am just reading the latest posts, I just click on "new posts" in the blue menu bar near the top of the screen. This way, you see all the new questions of the day.

TRACY