- advertisement -

What's a good week?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dk10, Jan 27, 2011.

1. dk10

dk10 Approved members

We test my 11 year old daughter who's on a Minimed pump upwards of 50 times a week (we're trying hard to bring that down - it was at 60+ a few weeks ago -we don't have insurance on this so it's expensive, besides which I hate seeing the needle-marked finger pads).

The 'within-range' (70-180) percentage is often 60 to less than 70 percent most weeks recently. We think a 70% plus week is good, and we've even had a few (a tiny handful) 80% plus weeks. Is this normal for most kids this age?

We had two excellent A1Cs of 6.9 and 6.8, but this time we knew it was going to slip a little from there - she's been having a lot of 60% in-range weeks recently. Not too bad - 7.1. But that's not so great if you account for the regulated meals (we measure carbs and fats, and weigh most foods to make sure we get it approx right) and activity and lots of testing.

A lot of the 60 percents are because she's back to telling us little fibs - cookies and even glucose pills without letting us know, hypers when she tests, which she reports as normal readings. Sometimes it's amazing how a smart kid can be that stupid. I have calm conversations with her where we get into a pact so she'll tell me the truth, but she slips up again in a few weeks. How does one cope?

2. manda81

manda81 Approved members

My son is almost 6, and we average about 55% "in range", and I handle all of his care. We've only been pumping for a few months, but to me, that is a good week.

I have to admit that I don't pay a ton of attention (other than weekly going over the logs to check patterns, etc) to the numbers. We generally check, treat if necessary and move on. IMO it's stressful enough pretending to be someone else's pancreas,without adding being a perfect one to it. I do the best I can. That's all I can do.

I'm sure at 11, it's even more difficult, with hormones & being more independant. I won't pretend to know how you feel, but IMO if you're getting 60-70% in range, that's pretty great.

If we get it to 100%, do we get to actually become a pancreas? :p

(((hugs)))

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My thoughts in red.

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

70% in range is unobtainable for most of us, I would guess, except for a child that is honeymooning. Don't set up yourself or your child to feel bad when you don't meet this. You can measure and weigh and count carbs perfectly and T1 will still throw you curve balls you can't predict.

Your daughter is very smart indeed, as she has figured out that good numbers please you and she is fibbing to get that response from you. It's very common. You don't want her to feel graded on her blood sugar or these kind of behaviors escalate and lead to burn out.

Is she honeymooning by chance?

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

When Molly was dxd we were given these guidelines:
    50% in range
    40% above range
    10% under range​

That really did comfort us when we looked at the numbers.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh's 11, and i have no idea how much she's in range. how do you figure it out? I try not to stress about it, like another poster said. If she's high we correct, if she's low we treat and move on.

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I created a spreadsheet that makes these calculation. With the PING, you can download the pump to EZManagerMax, the software program for the PING.

If you don't have the software, go to https://estore.animascorp.com/ProductCatalog.aspx?topcategoryid=1 and create or logon to your account, you should have a link to order the free software. I believe the dongle to connect the pump to your computer is also included with this order.

The software contains a report called BG Distribution that shows the sugars Below Goal, In Goal, and Above Goal.

While it is good to not dwell on out of range sugars, using these reports is helpful in identifying trends where adjustments in insulin might be needed. I consider this essential in the overall management of diabetes.

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

If you can't do the software at home, a visit to the endo would do it. They usually hijack the pump or meter and give you a print out complete with pie charts and other fancy stuff!

9. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I think a good week for us is when the average of BG readings is 152 or below and DD being in range 50%+ of the time with few lows (we've been at 7% lately) and no "bad lows" (for us, below 50).

My 6-year old DD uses a pump (and while she sometimes operates it under supervision, she doesn't make decisions regarding use), which makes it much easier to bolus for snacks and treat high BG. I've found that while highs can remain frustrating, my attitude is much improved because I can so much more easily give the insulin she needs.

Do you think your DD is not telling you she's above range because of your reaction, because she doesn't want a shot (I'm assuming she's on MDI?), or some other reason. Perhaps you can talk to her about that?

10. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

you can do it on the ping remote, go to fast facts, glucose analysis, glucose range info, before meal.

to the op, I think I had a great week and I was in range 45%, above 45% and below 10% but, my range is tighter than yours (70- 150) If you have a week where you are not overwhelmed by numbers, and over tired from waking up many times a night. then I'd say you had a good week.

it sounds like you and your daughter have been stressing over numbers, food, and exercise. maybe a little to much, I would recommend laying off a bit. if you are all have popcorn, just guess how much of it she will eat and let her eat out of the big bowl, stuff like that. Also I would talk to her, tell her that you aren't upset when her numbers are high, that if she wants a snack she should ask you. and if you say no, then it has NOTHING to do with d.
    At eleven, maybe it would help to teach her to carb count and bolus for herself. I love the fact that I can sit down for a meal, test, and bolus without saying anything that makes the conversation about d. if my bg is crappy, and I know its because of something I ate then I can correct without making a big deal about it.
    If you think it would help to have her talk to someone with d, she can pm me. I am in my teens and have a sister her age, I really think have someone to complain to who "gets it" is very helpful when your frustrated with d, it has helped me a ton. And no matter how much you try, you parents cannot fully "get" d unless you have it. so please have her pm me, or make her own account and go on the kid forum, also I think JDRF has a pen pal program, anything to connect her with another kid/ teen she can relate to. :)

11. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

This whole thread makes me feel so much better!!!! My sons A1c is 7 but yeah his "within range" is about what you guys are conveying- and I was feeling bad about that lately! (not letting him know I was feeling bad- he is feeling fine about things and learning all the time. Anyhoo--- thanks!!!!!

Mom of 13 yr old t1 dx aug '10

12. dk10

dk10 Approved members

Thanks for your comments. They hold up a mirror to the kind of stress we're putting my daughter through.

Will try to ease off a little, though that will be hard!

13. dk10

dk10 Approved members

Thanks so much! I will definitely suggest this to her.

14. Trev

Trev Approved members

What's good?

I hear you, we have two type one kids, one is 13 and one is 6 excluding my own type one. My adolecent has the worst A1C in the house. So a good week for her is a 70 % one so to speak. It is the most difficult time to manage sugar levels. I remember my teen years with type 1, and trust me it was not the most important thing to me, my social life was, sports, fun, anything but Mr Diabetes. I see my teen Type one, and we have one solid rule, she has to report all her reading to me every thursday in her log book. They have to meet the 70 % rule or no friends or sleep overs over the week end. Good help and those consistent numbers will happen eventually.
    Trev- Type 1 since 85 on the pump
    Father of 2 type 1 girls 6 and 13
    and 3 NoN-D's
    Married to an awesome wife!
    Famous blogger at http://www.three2treat.com
    Cheers!

15. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

does that mean he has to have his bg's 70% in range or he can't go any where? that sounds kinda mean considering you can only control that so much. I work insanly hard at keeping my bgs in range and I'm almost never in range 70% of the time!

16. wilf

wilf Approved members

Everyone is different. We test DD 70 times a week (10 x a day), because that level of testing allows us to keep her in range enough to consistently have A1Cs under 7.

To me some % number of in range readings is very abstract, whereas 30 day meter averages and A1Cs are real. I take my cues from them.

17. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I wondered about this too. It could also create a disincentive to test.

18. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Or an incentive to test the control solution instead of real blood.

(I've been to D camp. Yes, people really do this.)

19. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Oy! Just signed DD up for D camp today -- before I read this.

20. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Don't worry, I didn't hear about it in the context of "this is a great thing to do". There is a sharing of experience at D camp, and not all will be good, but I think the benefits far outweigh the risks of a child picking up bad habits from others there. It really made me aware, though, for those parenting a child or teenager with D, that just everything looking perfect doesn't mean it really is. I think it's really important to maintain an environment where checking BG at all is far more important than what the result is.