- advertisement -

What would you dose for lunch?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dvane, Aug 19, 2011.

1. dvane

dvane Approved members

Ethan will have a 1/2 hr recess then 1/2 hr PE right after lunch 2 days a week. His lunches are usually around 30-40 carbs. My thought is to dose for half. If he were at home I would dose for everything. It just makes me nervous to have the two back to back.

2. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

I would probably do like you are thinking, and see how it goes. Hudson tends to not have exercise affect him until several hours afterwards, so more likely we'd find that we'd need to halve the dinner dose. :)

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

well I guess for me I would need to know when the next check is?

I would rather either do a combo bolus on the lunch or have an extra drink with some carbs.

I would also try to make sure that on those days a good amount of the bolus carbs are faster ones. Meaning not have a high fat or protein lunch pror to PE and have the insulin hit with the exercise before the carbs raise the BG.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I think I would do the same. And then over the first few weeks maybe have a check done after the PE classes to see if that turns out to be accurate. You may not need to reduce that much, or you may need to reduce more.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

William had this scenario one year. He didn't usually go low for PE even with the full dose of insulin - there were times that we added a juice box to his lunch on PE days and it was unbolused. However he wasn't bolused until he was done eating and just before PE and that helped too.

6. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

we had almost that scenario last year except recess first/then lunch/then PE. She dosed regularly for lunch, then set a 2 hour temp basal at 50% to cover PE. Then she watched her Dex and if she started to trend low, she had a granola bar and dosed for all but 15 carbs. If she was just a tad low she might eat a little candy if she had it. The dex really helped out with this issue.

7. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Having recess and PE scheduled after lunch sure beats having them both before lunch!