- advertisement -

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PAULEEN, Mar 16, 2009.

1. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Hi All,
    I haven't been posting much, but often sign on once a day to read and learn from many of the posts here. I have a question that I am a little unsure of how to handle. My son is 13 and we just had our one year anniversary of D. Locally a roller skating rink has opened and he is always wanting to go on the weekend with his friends. I am so nervous and have not let him go yet (he's asked 4 times now). Activity makes him low and he has not done anything like this since D so I don't know how he will react. He doesn't want Mom there as it is embarassing (teen thing) I really don't want to go anyway - but would if I had to. It is 7-10 on Friday or Saturday. His friends, don't really get D or understand when he needs help. He is usually responsible but I have seen him have so much "fun" that he forgets to check his BG. So, how would you handle this? I want him to be able to do stuff like the other kids and if he didn't have D it wouldn't even be a question. Thanks in advance! Pauline

2. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

can you give him a cell phone and you can call him and have him check him numbers from time to time..
    I remember then I did the skating thing we didnt skate much we hung out more and checked out the guys:D so he might not be as active as you think...lol

3. mph

mph Approved members

I'd let him go if you would normally let him go if he did not have D. You do not want him to resent his D and feel it ruins the fun in life. But he does need to learn responsibility for it if he does not want you there.

I think I'd be sure his bg was around 150 (or whatever you are comfortable with) and have him eat a gronola bar or something like that (uncovered) unless he plans to eat there. Then send him with glucose tabs in his pocket and a cell phone.

You take great care of him 24/7 and he does need to be respectful of your need to know he is alright.:cwds: He should be pretty thankful you care so much.;)

Do something fun while he is out to keep yourself from worrying.:D

Watch for lows overnight if he does a lot of actual skating.

Blessings,

4. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

Can you just sit in the car and read a book? I would let him go and just give him a little extra before and make him promise to check his blood sugar at a certain time and call you with a cell phone. If he doesn't call you at that certain time (give him a window) then it can be agreed that you are going to come in.

5. allisa

allisa Approved members

I would absolutely let him go....it is only 3 hours, not all day long !

I would also make sure he understands this is a TRIAL run and if he doesn't check his blood or whatever else YOU set up as his "rules" then he won't be going next time.

I would advise doing the driving home....that might just be the control freak in me....but....other parents may run late, drop off other kids first, etc etc.......meanwhile you are pacing floor wondering if he is low in a dark back seat of a car !!

When Ty goes somewhere like this he MUST bring his meter and tabs. I don't fuss about crackers, juice, glucagon....it is just 3 hours ! I have him check himself the second he is leaving home so I know jsut what he was.....and insist in a snack in the middle.

Ty has ALWAYS been spot on when it comes to feeling lows....so i have been a littel lax in insisiting that he check his blood.....but.....your rules are your rules....so decided what you want and make him stick to it !

Good luck....I hope he goes out ! THis is supposed to be the FUN years for kids !!

6. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

I hear you---how safe is it to send your child somewhere "alone" i.e. somewhere that they will have no backup help.

My DD is only 9 but, like your son, likes to be independent doesn't want to test very often. I generally stay close by, but think that a couple of hours on their own is really pretty safe even if there is a lot of activity.

Have him test before he leaves and then have him call after two hours with his meter reading. If he calls, give him lots of praise, and let him stay. If he doesn't call, go pick him up.

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I always ask myself, "would I let him do this if he didn't have diabetes?" If the answer is yes, then I allow him to go. I would just send him with a cell phone, meter and glucose tablets (all will proberly fit right in his pockets) I am sure that he will be getting a snack there at some point anyways.

I always tell Tyler if he doesn't do the things (test, bolus or whatever) that we have agreed to, then he will lose the priveledge of outings like these.

As others said, be the pick up person. (you can always go early (like 2 1/2 hours) and sit in the parking lot with cell phone in hand, and read a book;))

8. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I agree with what the other posters have said. as he grows, he is going to want more and more unsupervised time. The times like this where it is just for a few hours are perfect to begin teaching him how to take responsibility for himself for a little bit. I would have him check in with you, too, to give you both some peace of mind. He may not like to check, but it is part of his life and he AND his friends need to learn to let it be there and to take care of it. True friends will accept him with his D without a problem, I think.

If you're nervous of him going low, let him have something free before to kind of hold him over.

9. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I sure know the feeling! But you gotta let him go. In situations like this, Aaron often treats himself to a "real" pop. It's easily accessible sugar right there, and sipping at it while he dances or whatever helps keep him up. Checking in via cell phone is another really great idea. Advise your son that when he's out alone doing physical activity, this is NOT the time to cut it close, blood sugar wise. Better to run a little high to provide a safety net if he starts to drop.

I would also really strongly suggest that he pick at least a couple of trusted friends to teach how it might look if he drops so low he can't help himself, what to do if that happens, and when to call 911. I would suggest HE pick the kids, and YOU give the talk or hand out a cheat sheet. This becomes ever more important as he heads out on his own more and more.

Today it's the roller rink. In a couple of years it will be out-of-town, three-day band trip. A friend or two who know the score and can be the designated roommates are worth their weight in gold!

10. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

since he is pumping, why not set a lower basal rate starting an hour before, just let him run a bit high if necessary.

11. lynn

lynn Approved members

Eek! I'm glad Nathan is only five. It gives me time to gain courage. I would say you have to be brave and let him go. He has to learn and this is the next step.

12. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Hi Pauleen,
    Welcome back:)

I had these issues too. We let Alli go sled riding this winter with some friends. It was really tough. I sat her down and told here this was a test. If she did not pay attention to her body it would be a long time before we trusted her to go again. She did GREAT!!!!! She did go low, and took care of it all by herself. It was so cool to see her grown up and making good decisions. She has since gone to friends houses and living a full pre-teen life. She is much, much happier!!!!!

It will be ok, I know it is hard.

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Would you let him go if he didn't have D? If the answer is yes, then you need to find a way to let him go and make it work. Partner with him to figure out a way for him to have fun and stay safe. Cell phones are great for this if your family has one.

14. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Thanks

Thank you for all of your replies. I know you are all right - he will be going this weekend. I just needed to hear that it was okay from the "experts". I know what I should do, I just have that little voice in the back of my head saying "what if" He will be so thrilled when I tell him he is going tonight. Thanks again, I know that I can always count on all of you to be the voice of reason. :D

15. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

This is great advice! Thanks for posting, Holly. Caleb is only 7, and doesn't go too far without me, but I know my time is coming soon. :eek: :rolleyes:

Pauline,
    Welcome back, and best of luck. I'm sure your son will do great!