- advertisement -

What would you do with a 73 at bedtime?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CameronsMom, Jul 11, 2011.

1. CameronsMom

CameronsMom Approved members

A couple nights ago Cameron was 73 at 9pm. He goes to bed around 8pm so he was already asleep. I tried waking him up to give him a couple ounces of milk and he wanted NO part in it. He was exhausted and not pleased with me that I woke him. He refused the milk and ended up with two starbursts instead and then wanted a sip of milk. We typically do not check him before he goes to sleep because he has his evening snack so close to bedtime that it would not be an accurate number. We check him at 9pm.

His snack is a frozen squeeze yogurt (11g) and a cheese stick.

About 45 minutes to an hour after 2 starbursts and a sip of milk he was 146 and then 198 at 1am. At 6am (wake up) he was 198 again. So, what would you do with a 73? Should I have waited an hour to recheck instead of waking him up to give him something?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

With this 73 and the out of range sugars later, I would say the snack had not had a chance to be completly digested to raise the blood sugar

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think it depends on if you check your child's bg during the night, if that 73 is on the way up or down, and how much 1gm of carbs raises their bg.

What I would do with a 73 (going down) at bedtime is give 10 carbs of something that might last for a while, like grahm crackers and milk. Check about half an hour later to make sure it was going up, and if it was then check about 2 hours after that.

I think what you did was fine. The only other thing you could have done is after you got the 73, not treat it (since he had the snack) and check 15 or 20 minutes later to see if it was going up or down.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

On MDI I would have woken DD to eat and then opted for a correction later in the night if it was necessary. For us, 73 is hard to wake but 50 is a lot worse, so I would have erred on the side of caution, too.

Some parents can get juice boxes into sleeping kids. Never been able to pull that off here, though.

We tend to avoid milk/yogurt/ice cream as evening snacks because it's too hard to predict with sleep. So, I guess my actual answer is "wake and feed, then add that snack to a 'no bedtime snack' list. Our list has gotten longer over the years. :eek:

5. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

What was his bg before his evening snack? Sounds like you did fine.

6. ashadams

ashadams Approved members

I give my son a snack around 7:00 every night. I check him before bed at 9 pm because he has to have a small injection at that time. Usually, if he is around that range I give him a cup of milk. The milk doesn't spike it real high and it lasts through the night.

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I would be a little scared to let my child go to bed without checking him first...even if you check him an hour later. We just check before giving a bedtime snack (around 8:00 and bedtime is 8:30) and then act accordingly. Then, you can treat lows before bed and not worry so much that you'll need to wake him to treat him. Although, of course, lows happen anytime!:rolleyes:

As for the 73...that would have me going for the juice box before bed. My son is on the pump, however, which I find much easier for making any corrections should he go high. I check at 10:30p...so I can fix if I've overtreated then. I also use lowered basal rates for lowish numbers at night (90s, low 100s), but anything in the 70s would prompt me to treat with juice. My son is like a baby with a bottle with juice boxes, though. I'll sit him up and he'll drink them in his sleep!

8. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

My son was diagnosed last year and is on injections. We still don't have the whole thing down to the point of being comfortable with a number that low, so we always give a snack. Our goal is to always send him to bed at 160. We find that, after a long time of not being able to figure out the right Levemir dose, he can now be counted on to stay within 20-30 of that most nights provided it wasn't a crazy day. I always check again at midnight. A BEAUTIFUL night for me is 160 at bedtime, 160ish at midnight. I still wake up for another check, but my sleep is much, much better when things remain steady from bedtime to midnight.

At some point, I am going to have to be comfortable sending him to bed lower, but for now, 160 works for me. I am happy at this point with chiseling a bit off of the A1C every time.

9. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

Per endo instructions, if ds is below 150 at bedtime he can have a free snack (no shot). So, we check his blood around 8:30-8:45 and then he has snack. If he is over 100 and has his freebie I do not get up in the middle of the night. If he is in the 70's and has his freebie I will check him around midnight to see if I might need to give him a juice box. Personally, I feel better when he is running a littler higher through the night rather than lower.