- advertisement -

What would be your choice for lows when walking around D.C. on a school trip?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Apr 7, 2014.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes, that 8th grade trip is coming up to D.C.:) I was trying to decide what to take to treat lows walking around besides glucose tablets. Thinking about juice, gatorade, soda, or orange juice.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We like Trader Joe's fruit leather strips. They're light & flat, so easy to carry. 11g each (fiber subtracted)

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I wouldn't carry liquid. Skittles, Fruit Snacks, Smarties, something like that.

4. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I don't carry drinks around, there is too much of a risk of getting them confiscated at museums and they don't allow you to drink in the museums exhibits. I tend to carry glucotabs, skittles, and fruit snacks. If I really need a drink I just stop at one of the food carts/trucks, or if I'm in a museum, the cafeteria. Drinks are readily available walking around DC.

Do you know what museums you are going to or what sites you are seeing in DC?

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Glucose tabs are our go-to but for hours of walking carrying enough can be a bear. We use the small Airheads or Laffy Taffy and they work okay. It's nice because they are flat and can stack in a belt :)

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Just having returned from a DC trip, the security checks are endless, and they inspect every single bag. The only one that was hard core about food was the Capitol itself, but ALL of them were sticklers about liquids. I'm sure you could explain, but personally I'd hate to have to constantly report why you have food/juice. I'd personally stick with "medical" looking treatments (even if it's skittles put inside a glucose container!).

Definitely would avoid drinks of all kinds.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Wow going to have to rethink the drinks thing. We went to DC 4 years ago and had no problems carrying juice etc. in our backpack. We are not going to White House. My son doesn't like fruit snacks or fruit leathers. Guess we will have to take skittles or glucose tablets. He gets tired of the powdery glucose tablets though.

Also we are driving up in a bus not flying.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We use the fruit leather strips. They are good, flat and about 17g. Targets Archer Farms brand are very good. Easy to fit in pockets. I would also think with security that these would be hassle free.

I'd have a letter from the doctor too just to have on hand.

Oops, just saw the fact he doesn't like leathers. Glucose gel maybe?

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes he does not like glucose gel .I am getting letter from endo. I have friend who just went in December with her diabetic son and they had drinks in their bag. It wasn't a problem for them, but it could depend on where you go. She said they really do not like backpacks and will search. Because we will out all day with school group, I will be carrying glucagon, insulin and syringes, insulin pens(another diabetic on trip), meters test strips. I will have a fun bag for them to check.:)

Another problem I have is that the charter bus gets there after driving 14 hours. It will be 7am when we get there and will not be going to hotel until 8pm that night. Trying to figure out how to store extra pump supplies, test strips, spare meters, backup pump, extra insulin, extra glucagon, and spare CGM sensor. I think until the bus underneath would get too hot unless I pack that stuff in cooler. Any ideas? Bus will be parked all day as we are walking around as driver sleeps in hotel I guess.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'd pack everything in a cooler, and label it "medical supplies."
    I'd go onto the US Park service website for DC and see if they have bag requirements. I use a Kippling bag, got it at Macy's, they have a good selection. I find that this works best for travel. Good pockets for organizing and carrying ample diabetes supplies. Would allow for a few juice boxes to be stowed in.
    http://www.kipling-usa.com/machida-...=ceosUiaagZH6kaaadaBFb3XvcP&display=24&sz=200

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We didn't do the White House either (well, we zipped by in a Segway :victorious:), it was the Capitol that was a stickler about ALL food/drinks. They made me throw away a single piece of gum I had in my backpack!

Also: some of the Smithsonian museums would not allow you to walk around with a backpack, AT ALL. Metal detector, bag inspection...but then you had to check them into a certain area (and the bag was inspected first). I had a bag that I could sling over one shoulder like a purse, they never gave me a hard time about that, but my sister had a true backpack and they wouldn't let her carry that in some places. So be prepared to stuff pockets with glucose if you have to check the bag.

I carried a spibelt with my money on my body, that always made it through the metal detectors with no issue (except at a parking garage in a Federal building of all places, I had to take it off there!). I might consider a spibelt or small fanny pack thing to have on the body with some simple glucose in case you can't take your bag inside a building.

I keep thinking of things to add, sorry! The 2 buildings that were the most stringent were the Capitol and the Art Museum, the Holocaust museum was pretty strict too. So if those are on your list just be aware. EVERY building had a metal detector and EVERY building fully inspected bags by sight or xray machine, and all asked that you do not bring in liquids. Security is a big deal in DC these days. I was with my daughter, not my T1 son, so I have no concrete advice, just sharing what security was like for us.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  12. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Ice with cooler would work best, but what days are you coming? If it is sometime in April, you may not need it. DC/Maryland weather is fluctuating between being in the 30s one day and 70s the next. So, depending on the temp you may be able to just use a few ice packs.

Also, most of the museums on the Mall don't open until 10:00am, one opens at 8:30am, so you may have time to run to the hotel if there isn't a set itinerary for that time.