- advertisement -

What will the Easter Bunny Bring?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GAjen, Mar 31, 2010.

1. GAjen

GAjen Approved members

Hi! I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. My 6 year old DD was dx 2/5/10, so everthing is still kinda new to us. I have learned a lot here already. My question is what will the easter bunny be putting in your kid's baskets? I have ordered DD a new meter case and stickers for her meter, but would like to hear some other alternatives to a basket full of candy. A few treats will be okay, but I don't want candy overload. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. dvane

dvane Approved members

I always put a new pair of summer jammies, 1 package of their favorite candy (movie size), and a few trinkets.

3. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

My daughter's getting a DS game. She already knew that the "Easter Bunny" would not bring her candy, but she thought it would be cool that if the "Easter Bunny" did bring candy he could put the carb count on it too. She likes the sugar free sours, so she is getting one treat.

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Sugar free bubble gum, plastic eggs filled with some dollar bills or quarters, jammies is always nice. Sandbox toys, water toys, flip flops, movies.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Usually toys and fun size candy, books crayons, stamps, colored paper, squirt guns and jumprops. You know those things that wear out over the summer or break, sun glasses, chap stick.

The list goes on.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hair doodads from Claire's, an I-tunes gift card, and some candy and she's getting a bike, not because it's an Easter gift but because she's outgrown her old one and her bday is in Jan so it never seems like the right time to give a bike.;) ( we live in CT)

When she was younger though I'd put in books, and coloring books and a stuffed bunny and stickers and crayons and stuff like that - but always some candy too:cwds:

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I do put some candy in the basket, especially lots of peanut M&Ms (those are low glycemic value) and milk chocolate (digests slowly) and then things like sugarless gum, handheld games I used to put in stickers and coloring books and markers, slinkys, silly putty. For a girl you could put jewlery or maybe some doll assesories.

Wanted to say welcome to CWD by the way. Hope your daughter and family are all doing well.

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

lone dissenter here I guess. We do a basket full of candy which I end up tossing half of it in a few weeks. My kids just like getting the candy..they don't actually want to eat it. LOL.

to the OP, you didn't ask, but I will offer this suggestion - remove the diabetes related things. Diabetes is a daily issue for our kids. They don't need it to be in their face on the holiday too. if you don't want to do candy, that's fine, but don't give her a new meter case.

9. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

Easter bunny is going to bring spring dresses, and plush bunnies. Also a chocolate bunny and the fun size packs of skittles (great for lows) :D. Also got some bubbles and lip gloss. I am just scared of that the grandparents are going to do. Last year is was giant baskets full of nothing but candy :eek: needless to say I am worried about what they are going to do.

10. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I never give any D items as a gift. In Ab's basket, I get her ready for summer-sunglasses, flipflops,tshirt,Itunes card,travel size shampoos (for camp.) I do put in some candy, but not as much as I used to. This may sound expensive, but everything is purchased on sale except the Itunes card.

11. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We've never done much candy, even well before D. What we do include are things like art supplies, bubbles, hair accessories, stickers, books, jewelry, small craft kits, small stuffed animals, flip flops etc.

Now that she's older I'm considering maybe less of that stuff and a few larger items like a bathing suit, clothes etc.

For candy we usually have a chocolate bunny, a Reese's PB egg and maybe a sprinkling of jelly beans.

12. bisous

bisous Approved members

My kids are 2 and 6. My "philosophy" on easter baskets has ranged widely in these six years. About 3 years ago, I really wanted non-candy, non consumerist type goodies for the easter basket. I scrounged natural stores, stalked foreign websites and spent too much money on wooden toys, art supplies (beeswax crayons, etc.) and the like. DS was "cool" with the spoils but it was never a super big hit and I spend too much money. It wasn't a "wow" and it seemed like the easter basket was more about me being a mindful mama.

At age 4 DS discovered candy and THAT is his favorite most exciting thing. Toys didn't cut it anymore. So this year I'm getting him candy. I still have a bit of a hippy bent to my easter basketing--I'm getting him Skittles but I'm also putting in a lot of homemade candy items because I hate all the artificial colors and crap in regular candy. I think he'll love it and it won't cost very much.

The other alternative would be to fill it with really cool toys (legos, bakugans, etc.) but that would cost a fortune. I think it would get him used to expecting those types of things and in a way it would lessen his birthday and Christmas. I feel like that to me is a bigger negative than gorging on candy ONE DAY.

As far as D goes, this is our second year doing "candy" easter baskets. Last year was a bit disastrous. I let DS "go crazy" in his basket--I just bolused for him. He naturally wasn't interested in breakfast because he had a basket of candy. HIs blood sugar was crazy bad and scary.

So this year, I'm hiding the Easter baskets at grandmas. He'll eat a good hearty breakfast and THEN he can gorge himself (one of three times per year--the others being Halloween and Christmas) on candy. Three times a year he can feel like a "normal kid" so this was important to me.

I think this is going to work well. :)

13. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My D kid is a teenager, so he's pretty well outgrown the need for an Easter basket but*I* still have fun with it so he gets one! He's getting an entire bag of kisses (he doles out 1 or 2 per day to himself), some swim gear including a new swimsuit and some pool toys, the game "monopoly city", and an itunes gift card. I asked him and he chose not to have any more candy than that, I would have been fine giving him more but he's trying to slim down for football season.

My non D daughter is getting plenty of candy including a white choco bunny, lots of hair stuff, some neat scrapbooking stuff, some makeup brushes, swim toys, swim shorts, and a new cool lamp for the room she just redecorated.

My teen is not hunting eggs this year for the first time. :( Yeah, I know it's normal. But I LIKE being the Easter bunny!

14. Mom to S&S

Mom to S&S Approved members

We are the same way. There is a basketful of candy and a few toys. If you did a basket of candy before, don't limit it now. It will seem like your child is being punished for having diabetes. Work a few pieces in at meal time over the next few weeks, save some for lows, and then ditch the rest. Jelly Beans and Skittles make great egg filler and are great for treating lows!

I also agree on not giving diabetes things as gifts. That's kind of like sticking underwear in the Easter basket. It is a necessity not a treat.

15. CButler

CButler Approved members

I agree with Frizzyrazzy and Mom of S&S. I give her candy and toys. I let her eat candy after her breakfast, then put it up and dole it out for desserts. I also throw it out eventually and she doesn't know.:rolleyes:

16. 22jules

22jules Approved members

We're doing flip flops and an itunes gift card along with some candy-don't like to put too much candy either. (I was this way before d).

17. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

The Easter Bunny just went shopping today. I don't have a problem with Brandon getting candy, I just can't trust him to check his BG and give insulin. THAT'S what gets us in trouble. I got some bubblegum eggs, some peeps, and chocolate covered marshmallow bunnies. He is also getting some beef sticks, the Kool-aid fizzies (I found them!), and probably some PJs.

Because my older son got those "fangs" on the back of his front teeth, he specifically asked for not a lot of candy because he can't eat it. I did get him some peeps, and one Reese's egg. He is also getting socks :)rolleyes:), two CD's, and some minutes for his phone.

I'm going to put "maybe" $5 worth of change in the eggs in their baskets.

18. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

When my boys were 2 & 4, I made a treasure hunt for them with little toys and rhymes at each "stop" that was a riddle for them to figure out where to look next. The final "stop" was discovering their Easter baskets full of candy. The boys and now their 5 yo sister too all still LOVE the Easter treasure hunt. Of course the days of leaving a matchbox car or something from the dollar store at each stop is over (daughter still easy to please). By the end of the hunt they'd have 6-7 little toys and then the candy too. I load the baskets w/ all kinds of candy, mostly ind packages w/ labels but the bunny always left a list for mom to know the carb counts;)

Honestly 9 years later I am tired of making up little jingles and trying to think of places to hide the clues...but seems we have ourselves a family tradition here:) The kids think Easter is better than Christmas even!

For my DS, seems like most of the fun is just getting it more than actually eating it. He knows he can eat however much he wants of it at long as it is covered, but would say most of it winds up in the trash a week later.

19. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

easter

I found some great things at Target. Eggs with littlest pet shop toys for DD and eggs with hot wheels for DS. Also found some Hide N Seek eggs. They are electronic and since they love to play egg hunt well after Easter, I thought these would be perfect. Bubblegum eggs, some chocolate eggs, bubbles, playdoh. For my older DS I think we will give him a little $ but not sure yet.

20. KHM

KHM Approved members

Lots of great ideas here. Our family had been moving toward a small bit of chocolate candy in recent years for community sharing but really focusing the special bits on durable things much as people have already indicated---except that we've tried hard to find things we could put in those plastic eggs for the bunny to hide. Gift certificates for movies outings are hugely popular...

I think our bunny might be exceptionally clever and manage to discretely deliver gift cards to the non D siblings who might be able to turn them into candy when diabetic sister is not with them.

but truthfully: we've always loved the eggs---they are very quickly turned into deviled eggs, egg salad and good snacks. So many possibilities! Have fun with it!