- advertisement -

What was your original A1C at time of D being diagnosed?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bigbluefrog, Jul 4, 2012.

1. natallia

natallia Approved members

Sammy was only 9 months old when dxed in January. His a1c was 9.2 and bg over 700.

2. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

Audrey's was 9.4. Her blood sugar was 751. Even though we knew the symptoms since my husband has T1 also, it wasn't until after probably 3 weeks of rapid weight loss and extreme thirst that we put it together and tested her on his meter at home.

3. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

Hudson's is in my sig --as you can see it has been going up as the honeymoon ended and puberty hit :eek:

4. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Never quite understood the a1c

I do remember the doctor thought she had diabetes for 3 months.
    I wondered how we could of missed seeing the signs :(
    The honeymoon period is such a difficult phase with on and off production of insulin. At one time I felt we should of seen and known she was ill, but I don't feel guilty anymore. I agree the past is something we may look upon and remember but guilt has long gone. This is our story and I gladly share the history of it.

It is interesting to see how we have started this journey and where we have grown in knowledge and overcame some tough spots..some may still struggle but all in all we share this journey knowing we are not alone in this.

Thanks for sharing your journey!!

Kinda nice to know we are not the odd one out - but that others have been there and understand.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Was still above 16% three days post-dx, don't know what it actually was.

My endo says that when he measures them he does keep track no matter how high it goes and the highest any of his patients have been is 21%.

My fasting blood sugar was 453 and I was in DKA.

6. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

My dd had a 13.7 with a 600 bg.

No DKA but high keystones.
    I remember being overwhelmed at all the info, we were traveling at time of dx, so instead of keeping us they had us go to the hospital in our hometown nightly for a lantus shot. We had no meter or way to tell if she was high or low. For two days I read everything I could...until Monday classes.

7. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

12.6 and in DKA. She was very ill. After 6 weeks it was down to 8.6. I'm very curious to see what it will be when she goes back in August at almost 5 month post dx.

8. lisab

lisab Approved members

Yasmine's A1c was 15.8 at diagnosis.... with a bg of 536 and only trace ketones.

9. Hayden2007

Hayden2007 Approved members

Hayden first AIC was 8.4 this was taken a few weeks after being diagnosis. It was just taken again and it is 7.3. He was diagnosis in January. Dr. said we caught it very early.

10. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

My a1c from the local doc's office was 18.0, and the one from the hospital came back at 17.9. I had moderate ketones when I was dx'd.

11. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Bethany was dx at 2 1/2 and was 9.something

12. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

My daughter's was 15.4 with Large Ketones. We had been trying to figure out what was going on for over 3 months when the pediatrician finally ordered some lab work.

Here is a photo collage I put together last week.

View attachment 2699

13. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

My son was diagnosed as Type 1 just 4 weeks ago.

His BG at the ER was 25 mmol/L (should be 4 to 7 for adults and 4-10 for kids).

His A1C was 13%

He had moderate DKA and Moderate ketones.

We are still waiting for an antibodies result - and I was told today that those can sometimes take as much as 2 months.

For some reason antibodies still have to be tested in the USA (we live in Canada) and this really p***** me off.

WHY cant Canada do their own antibody testing?

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

have no idea. just know that it went upafter Dx for the first 2 checks.

had no idea what the A1C ment. I now know that over 10 is is not so good.

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I so know what looking back on pictures can provoke. my dd was ONLY 13months. i look back and say to myself, why the F... did someone see it.

Me my family, and those with a PhD!!!

16. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Wait, what? PhD?