- advertisement -

What was your original A1C at time of D being diagnosed?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bigbluefrog, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

Ours was 12.5%, after a couple of months of the kid being sick and the pediatrician doing stupid things, until she eventually ordered a blood test. Then the girl in the lab (the one drawing blood), even before even having the results spoke her mind that she believe it looked like diabetes, and suggested us to go to an endo at once; the boy then spent a week in the PICU now with the right diagnosis.

2. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

My son's A1C was 14.7 with BG of 880. All the dr's that have seen us since discharge have said that he should have been in ICU, but the hospital had us in a regular room next to a quarantined infectious patient! The nurses had no idea what they were dealing with and treated him more like Type 2 than Type 1- even giving uncovered carbs as a bedtime snack when his BG was over 300!

3. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

My doctor failed to do any testing other than a CBC and CMP. I had requested a copy of the labs run and that is all they did. They originally had told us that they could not say it was diabetes till they did all these tests. Sure right. No A1C and no antibody testing. Guess we shall never know. Spent 5 days in the hospital. Left with small ketones. University testing when we were in a trial did c-peptide.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Don't know, don't care.

Not sure why this matters in the least. :confused:

5. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

It really doesn't matter, but it is still interesting to know

6. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Same here.

I also don't know what her BG was when she was admitted to the PICU from the ER. I do know that she was in mild DKA and was very, very ill. I don't need numbers to tell me that.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

Don't know but we caught it early - wetting the bed was the only symptom.

8. Arctic Stamp Queen

Arctic Stamp Queen Approved members

Interesting

Seth's A1C was a 14, but that is the highest the equipment at our hospital would measure.

Interestingly his blood sugar measured 294 (low compared to previous posters), he was in DKA and had large ketones. We spent 5 days in our local hospital.

It is so interesting to see the variable numbers in our responses.

9. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

I agree it's water under the bridge. However, remember that A1c is the average of the last 3 months.

Thus, a DX with a not so high A1c tells that the medic spotted the thing quick, whilst a DX with high A1c, means that there was some screwing around before getting the right DX.

Plus, I understand there is a risk for some extra problems with a very high A1c at the time of diagnosis, which the medical people should look after or to be aware of. The one I know, and I might be wrong here, is something like Metabolic Catarat, which can develop in the case of late diagnosis.

Also, the BG value at the time of diagnosis is interesting, but is not the key of the thing (unless it goes through the roof), A1c is. You can have a high A1c, and if you've lost your appetite you might have a not too high BG at the time, or the other way around.

Anyway, I'm the kind of the more information the better.

10. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My son

My son - age 2 and 1/2 at diagnosis. Blood sugar was 680. A1C was 8.7 - but they believe we caught it very early.

Since my husband was a type 1, my mommy instinct kicked in, and I actually had suspicions and checked his blood sugar on my husbands machine. Fortunately I knew the signs and what to look for. No DKA.

We were hospitalized for only 2 1/2 days since we were already pretty knowledgeable about the disease.

11. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I was diagnosed before A1C's were discovered, but my fasting was 875. I did have a glucose tolerance test, which was how they determined if someone was a juvenile onset diabetic. I remember not being a happy camper,

12. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh's was 15.2%. My nephew and SILs were both higher than that at diagnosis. I think my SILs was something like 26%. She was in pretty bad shape by the time she was diagnosed.

13. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

I don't know why someone who doesn't know and doesn't care spent time reading and replying to the post. I think it matters just because someone asked. I also agree that is very interesting to hear other results and combinations.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

One thing you'll learn here is that folks are allowed to offer up their opinions freely and without censor.

It's also a good idea to include some information about your relationship to D in your siggy. People generally include their kid's age at dx,date of dx and insulin regimen. Without that it will be difficult for me, or any other poster to offer advice on matters concerning the actual care of your child, which generally doesn't pertain to A1c at diagnosis. ;)

15. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Another thing you will learn after being here awhile is that with questions like this, while they may be "interesting" to some, can leave others feeling guilty or worse if their experience does not match up to others. Of course the OP has a right to pose the question, just like others have the right to express their opinion about it. But rehashing an unchangeable past usually does not end up being very productive.

16. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

Thank you, Sarah, for the tip on the signature. And I agree that opinions should be given freely and uncensored. I'm sure you also agree that they should be given in a manner that is respectful to others. My point was that if someone doesn't think another member's post has any relevance, then they should respectfully decline from comment and let those members who are interested participate in the discussion. I just wanted to support the memebr who posed the question and felt it was worth discussing. Maybe its just me......

17. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

A1C was 9.0, BG was 503, large ketones which were gone after a night of IV fluids and insulin. We caught it early enough.

Catie, almost 12 and growing fast
    dx 6/19/09, Animas Ping since 9/28/10, Dexcom 10/14/11, Omnipod 6/11/12

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Thanks for the lesson on forum decorum. :rolleyes:

19. manda81

manda81 Approved members

My son was 2 at the time of diagnosis, his A1C was 13.7 I believe (I asked about a year after the fact, just out of curiosity), BG was 1250 and he was in DKA and unconscious.

20. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

My daughter's A1C was "only" 7.3 but her bg was 1240. She was only 1 when she was diagnosed, though.