- advertisement -

What was your CWD's a1c upon diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MegaPug, Mar 29, 2011.

1. MegaPug

MegaPug Approved members

I tried a search, but was unsuccessful to find a similar thread, so I apologize if this is redundant. I'm curious what others' a1c numbers were at diagnosis because whenever I mention what Meg's was to anyone familiar with the rating I always get GASPS and looks of :eek:.

Meg's was over 14

Not having anyone in dh's or my side of the family with T1D, it wasn't even on the radar in the months leading up to her hospitalization. Of course now I can look back on the last six months or more and the signs are so glaringly obvious to me. It's embarrassing, but I know that's not uncommon for a parent in my position. :eek:

2. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Morgan's was over 14, Zoe's was 8.2 (but we caught hers REALLY early since she was my second to be diagnosed).

3. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Tyler's was 17 :eek:

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Either 10.2 or 9.4. Both are stuck in my head. One was diagnosis and one was our first visit. Hopefully it was 10 then 9! :eek:

5. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

Catie's first A1C was 9.0 I caught it early. No family history of T1, but I did know the symptoms. She had recovered from HS Purpura the year before which has autoimmune implications, so I was on the lookout for anything strange.

Catie age 10, dx 6/19/09 pumping with a ping since 9/21/10

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

DD's was over 12..

7. Johan'smom

Johan'smom Approved members

I think it was over 11. Three months later we were at 7.6 and just last week at our endo visit we are back up to 8.1:(

8. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

Ryan's was 9.4, but I did know the signs. It actually went up to 10.0 at our next check, but was down to 7.7 at our last check.

9. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Isaac's was 7 at dx and his BG was in the 500's- I, sadly, had been weary about it with him for about a month prior to checking his BG on our home meter. He probably could have been dx the month earlier at his 18 month check up but I let his pedi talk me into thinking his signs were "just teething" but I knew even then.

10. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

Colby's was 12 something, ....don't feel bad, just before he was diagnosed a couple of people actually suggested it might be diabetes and I thought they were crazy, what does diabetes have to do with going the bathroom a lot?! :rolleyes:

there should be a poster of type 1 symptoms in every doctors office and health clinic!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  11. swellman

swellman Approved members

We have absolutely no recollection.

12. AlexsDad

AlexsDad Approved members

11.7 and DKA in the emergency room.

13. manda81

manda81 Approved members

13.4 was his A1C, 1280 was his BG in ICU

I don't think I'll ever forget those numbers. :(

14. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

Connor's A1c at dx was 12.4

15. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I think it was 12.8 but I'd have to go digging and find the paperwork to be sure.

16. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

Jacob's was around 8.9 (BG around the 500's)- It seems like we had him diagnosed pretty quickly, probably around two weeks, after symptoms started (drinking gallons of water in the middle of the night, accidents) - we were pretty lucky he hadn't gotten ill by the time he was admitted to the hospital.

Stephanie,
    Mom to Jacob, Age 8
    Diagnosed since 2005 (pumping with MM)

17. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I think Madison was 14.7 and at the time I had no idea what that number meant, but now I know it's NOT good and I am past the guilt of not recognizing something was wrong:eek: and whatever damage was done was done and we can now try to keep her as healthy as possible.

18. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

Cassidy was 10.4 at dx and her bg when we went into the hospital was either 346 or 364. I was beating myself up pretty bad that I didnt put two and two together but when the endos told me that she was in really good shape compared to most kids they see at dx made me feel a bit better :rolleyes:

19. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

And I was thinking I was the only one!

I'm not sure we were ever told, but if we were it had no meaning to me at the time.

20. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Over 14 - I think 14.5? And his BG was 468. Only small to medium ketones, no DKA.