- advertisement -

What was was your turning point or ah-ha moment on cwd?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Judy&Alli, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

I am in a reflecting mood, lol. I am wondering what it was for all of you?

Mine was a post by Ellen. It wasn't even a thread that she started. It went something like this. When your child has an off number on the meter don't make a face, just tell them thanks for checking.

Also a post by Frizzy, Something along the lines of, your bg is 300 because you have d silly.

These were both profound for me.

Ok your turn............

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Mine was when I posted about our wonky BGs and people mentioned maybe his insulin needs were just increasing. I had gotten stuck at the dosages we had had since dx and somehow managed to miss the point that insulin needs grow with your child.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well just finding CWD on the web was an moment unto itself. But several other moments while I have been here resinate in my mind.

There are no "bad" numbers, just numbers.

Reading on CWD of little ones having a CGM before school age and that they were being sucessfull.

Reading on CWD about the book pumping insulin, UMM why exactly I have I not read this one??? And the Hanas book, for witch I had, but after DX it was just all too overwhelming that it read like gibberish to me. Funny how a few years later going back to re-read this book, IT MADE SENCE!!!

4. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Mine was a discussion between Saxmaniac and Jacob'sDad and TwoDoor2, where they clearly defined the importance of figuring out how much one gram of carbohydrate raised the blood sugar! Prior to that thread, I had been giving the standard 15g of carbs when Jayden was low, and then chasing the high that invariably came on the other side of that. It was a true "Eureka!" moment for me!

My other tried and true nugget I have gleaned from here is basals, basals, basals. If the basals aren't right, nothing else will be either.

5. somanybakers

somanybakers Approved members

For me it was when my son wanted to go to a week long soccer camp (not overnight just all day for a week) when he was 8 or 9. At first I thought it wouldnt be possible. Then his nurse asked, "Could he go if he wasn't diabetic?" I always said he could do anything but in practice I wasn't there yet. I let him go and he did fine. Ever since then I have practiced what i preached, he CAN do anything and he is happier for it. :)

6. Noel

Noel Approved members

I can't think of one time in particular but one thing that always kind of brings be back to reality is from Frizzy....

"Embrace the suck"

:D makes me always remember what my DH says about diabetes...."It is what you make it"

Those 2 together make me remember embrace what you've got good or bad and deal with it, live this life....it's the only one you've got!!!

I know that this in particular doesn't really have an "ah-ha" moment in it but it was kind of my "ah-ha moment" for dealing with diabetes.

7. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I don't think there is any one thing.. it is just a whole lot of things as we are nearing the one year mark. I talked to a co-worker the other day and she asked how things were going with the kids. I said, I really can't complain. She said.. yes, you can.. if anyone can, you deserve to. I sat there for a moment and said.. what would it change? I could complain.. I don't.

Also I love that there are no bad numbers.. just numbers, just information.. just a moment in time. Nothing anyone did wrong, not a reflection on me or dh, or the kids.. just information to go forward with.

8. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

too many to count, but I liked it the other day when hawkeyegirl said,
    'my philosophy is that my son's job is to be a normal kid, and my job is to figure out how to allow him to do that'
    and when saxmaniac said,
    'I find that 85% of the useful advice I get is from other parents, 10% from books, 5% from doctors and nurses, if that.'

I would be a basketcase without this site

9. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I am sure mine is just a tiny baby one compared to all of yours, which by the way I am greatly enjoying reading through. A couple of weeks ago someone posted about their child hitting 50s, it was a couple of days after I joined??

Our nurse had told us to juice up between 70-80...I came home thinking 70 was the pass out number so for weeks I tried to keep her closer to 150. When I saw that post it hit me that 70 wasn't THE number I finally 'relaxed' a bit, lol Good thing since we've hit 40s a couple of times since. :)

I expect many many more, lol

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

One of the one's that I like is...our children are not diabetics...they are children with diabetes. I never refer to Hailey as a diabetic. She is a child.:)

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

My turn around moment is when I went from needing help to offering help. That really made this Type 1 stuff concrete in my mind,

12. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

There have been a lot of little tidbits we have learned from this site. Not long after joining CWD I found using Lee's prebolusing chart she posted to be extremely helpful in cutting the meal spikes, esp breakfast (here is one link to the chart, post #2) http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=15878&highlight=pre-bolus. Still use today, even w/ Apidra.

Also all the early posts by Darryl on how Leah used the CGM to maintain such tight BG control...very inspiring.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  13. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

I think it was a comment by JacobsDad (I hope I got the username right!):

It went something like this - "There's no right in diabetes - some days your just less wrong."

I think that says it all. As much as we try to be perfect and stay ahead of the disease, every day is different and we can only do what think is righ at that moment.

14. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

This is the best quote by any CWD member!:D

15. alismom

alismom Approved members

Reading "the "guide to parents written by a teenage diabetic" by ErictheFerret

16. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

My ah moment was when I first started coming here and to another site(1997), 2 people always argued about pumping, Ellen and Judith, the pump was scary to me, but Ellen's arguments convinced me to try, I've never taken a shot since.(another person who deserves credit is a man who was on the pump and convinced me as well "Mailman")

:rolleyes:
    OH my, so I'm not the only one, Mum and my husband have a habit of asking me why I have a certain number, or why I have a high one minute and what did "I" do that it dropped so suddenly, my answer is always, "I think I must be getting diabetes"

17. Billetdeaux

Billetdeaux CWD Education/Programs

I've had a handful of Aha moments over the past 12 years, but I think my big one was when I realized that whether the insulin was in a syringe, or a cartridge, or coming out of his own pancreas, Sam would still need the same amount of insulin for any particular moment in time. We just think about the amount because we have to measure it and look at it. In reality, if he didn't have type 1, he'd still be making that same 10 (or 15 or 20) units of insulin to deal with that situation or that meal or that hockey match. Type 1 just makes it visible.

18. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

My Ahh moment is the email I get with summary of some stuff which reminds me I am not alone. That there are many other people out there who can help.:)

19. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

Seeing that I am not the only parent that "missed it" or whose kid went into DKA.

Being inspired to treat lows a little more conservatively so we aren't ping ponging around so much on numbers. I always had a tendency to over treat and then she would pop up too high.

20. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

this made me laugh! :D