- advertisement -

What type of meter do you use?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momto3, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

0.6 for the aviva

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Accu-Check Aviva. Love it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  3. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

We've "broken" two Aviva meters already and dd's diagnosis was less than 7 months ago. I called customer service and after much discussion I learned two things - do not use the power button because it can easily get stuck. Which is interesting because if you read the manual it teach you to use the power button. Two, argue long enough and they'll replace the meter for free (now if only they'd give 200 test strips with that!)

That said, I've tried a couple of other meters and find Aviva's test strips the easiest to hold. We "customized" dd's meter by getting the silicone covers and the floral meter cases.

4. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

If you are set on the One Touch meters (or another brand of meter), you can also try to obtain strips through your DME plan, if you have one. I found out quickly from another PWD that I did not need to pay the co-pays I was paying at the pharmacy. I went through a supply compnay contracted with my insurance for DME (Edgepark), and I get DME 100% with my insurance, thus no co-pays on strips, syringes, pen needles, etc. I also found out that they cover glucose tabs, sharps containers, etc through them.

5. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

That is good to know. We have been really happy with the One Touch meter. We have a second one at school that DD uses to test and we have a third as back up. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed when the letter arrived detailing the change. I will definitely look into this option.

We do have an Accu-Chek we received in our JDRF Bag of Hope from the endo, but it's tucked away. It is interesting to see everyone's responses.

6. 3boys1girl

3boys1girl Approved members

I don't know which pump you're using. Is this an One Touch Ultra Link meter? We have a MM pump, and for the last several years we've been dealing with this at the beginning of every new calendar year. It started back when they replaced the BD meter with NovaMax, and later One Touch. What has worked for us is to have someone from my husband's Human Resource depart. contact our insurance and put an override on our account. We just explained to them that our meter is linked to our pump and that only certain strips work with that meter. This past year they actually set it up so that we could get either NovaMax or OneTouch strips for our $20.00 copay. Since we have both of those Link meters. We have been sticking with the NovaMax. We tried the OneTouch but it takes considerably more blood than the Nova. I am not sure how they compare on accurracy with the other brands though. It might be worth a try especially if it's linked and you like that feature.

7. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

DD was diagnosed a little less than two months ago so she is not on a pump yet.

8. kajumom

kajumom Approved members

accu check active

Has anyone checked out the accu check active. Takes more blood than the other but is smaller. My dd like to try and stuff all her supplies in her pouch!

9. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

We've been die-hard Aviva users but are now switching to the Contour USB. As long as I can get strips for it, we're changing. I like the smaller strip, the port light, and the fact that it has illuminated numbers. It's smaller than the Aviva, seems to take the same amount of blood, and I love how easy it was to download. So far the numbers seems to be fine too. Will be calling the Endo tomorrow to get a script for strips. He is a Carelink guy, so this might not work so well for him, but it's our choice to change. Kathy likes it - that's all that matters.

10. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Never used the Aviva, but love my OneTouch Ultramini. For me it works great. Only thing I don't like is that doesn't have a very big memory.

11. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Accu-Chek Aviva here. We love it so much we choose to enter blood sugars manually into Connor's pump to avoid using the One Touch Ultralink that beams to the pump.

12. Kernel_Panic1

Kernel_Panic1 New Member

This list has changed as of October 2011 the ratings are;

1. Accu-Chek Compact Plus
    2. Accu-Chek Aviva
    3. TRUEResult (Walgreens)
    4. Bayer Breeze 2
    5. FreeStyle Freedom Lite
    6. TRUE2go (Walgreens)
    7. ReliOn Confirm (Walmart)
    8. OneTouch Ultra2
    9. ReliOn Micro (Walmart)
    10. OneTouch UltraMini
    11. FreeStyle Lite
    12. ReliOn Ultima (Walmart)
    13. OneTouch UltraSmart
    14, Bayer Contour USB
    15. Nova Max Plus Advanced Technology
    16. TrueTrack
    17. Bayer Contour

http://www.consumerreports.org/heal...meter/ratings/blood-glucose-meter-ratings.htm

13. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

Love our Accu-check Aviva. 5 years now.

Tried the Breeze 2, but broke 2 of them in a short period of time.

Insurance made us switch to True Results. Found a loop-hole that allowed me to switch insurance providers. counting the days until aviva strips come in the mail.

Ordered Animas Ping so I guess we will try the one-touch meter with it.