- advertisement -

What to stockpile for an emergency?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pjtmg, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Pjtmg

Pjtmg Approved members

So all the hurricane talk has me thinking.... What do you have for your d-emergency kit? What's in it? I am thinking I should make one for the basement. Your thoughts?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Everything but the insulin which you toss in on the way out the door or down the stairs. I keep ours ( a large travel type cosmetics bag) in the front hall closet.

3. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I don't exactly have a emergency kit already made, its more of me just grabbing things.

I know that when the DC/MD/VA area lost power for a week (no given expected time for power restoration) we just packed the essentials. Particularly with the D supplies, I brought 4 boxes of 100 test strips, 5 pods, my out of warranty minimed and supplies, a back up meter, ketone strips, batteries and all my insulin. Also in the emergency kit some juice, the glucagon (we keep 3 in the house; one for my moms room, one for my room, and one for a emergency kit), and glucotabs. Also some syringes.

It really does help to have a deep freezer because our fridges lasted 24 hours with no power and we found that the insulin had to be thrown into the deep freezer so it didn't spoil. After 24 hours, we ended up leaving the house because it was 100 degrees outside and it felt hotter inside.

Just always pack 3x what you think you'll need.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

To be honest? Nothing. It's hard for me to conceive of an emergency where I wouldn't have 20 seconds to grab some crap out of the hall closet and get where I needed to go. Plus, I know I wouldn't be vigilant about making sure the supplies in the emergency kit were "in date."

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

We have all our D supplies in 2 large Rubbermaid totes. When we've had tornado warnings, we've grabbed them and the insulin out of the fridge. The last warning we had we forgot to pick up the PDM that was on the counter, however. Oops! :p

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We don't have designated emergency supplies. I too think I would not rotate the emergency supplies, so rely on the fact that we have basics in a fishing tackle type craft box and plastic bins in the hall closet.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I have two drawers in a dresser filled with supplies. One night I dreamed that the house was on fire, and the first thing I did was dump the diabetes supplies out the window. Even in our sleep, we're on duty!

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This is me, I keep everything mostly organized in a large rubbermaid box with a top, at least the excess stuff is in there, and it is kept in storage. He has a daily 3 drawer bin in the school room that has all the stuff to replenish on a weekly basis, syringes, extra sites, strips, IV prep, etc, but just a handful of all, replenished weekly.

I figure in an emergency I would grab just the large box and insulin out of the fridge. If I had time I'd grab the daily bin too,, but losing that wouldn't be as big a deal as it has very little in it.

Honestly though, other than fire, I have always figured that MY house would be the place everyone else would evacuate to! Seriously, we are remote, up high, have several freezers of food, we're the place all my family would show up at in emergencies, in fact we've sheltered some hurricane folks from Houston area more than once.

9. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I keep a month worth of pump supplies, extra ketone meter, 150 strips for BG 10 for ketones(she has some in case too so we would have a few more), glucagon, epi pen, antibiotic prescription cream, needles, gloves, lancets, coolin bands to wear, batteries at least 5. Our emergency kit is the daily kit too so supplies are replenished monthly, unless I get a hurricane warning I would the replenish accordingly. I would also grab all insulin at the last minute. The longest we have been without power is 12 days. For a tornado while I would grab what I could the areas they devastate is usually limited so I hope red cross, Endo, or another agencies would help if I could not grab enough supplies from the fridge. Fire I would turn to Endo for help through insurance. I do not live in flood area so I really do not give that much thought. Sink hole I would move all extra supplies to a family members house. Did I miss any?

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have a 'Kit" that is used for camping/vacation/ going over to spend the night at grammy's, it has a little of everything including fever and nausia meds. This is replenished very often. All but the insulin.

At grammy's and the school we have extra insulin in the fridge. If I could not get into my house I would use those supplies.

I need to make a supply kit that has a months worth of everything, just in case and put it in the gun safe.;)

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

LOL--That's a good idea.

The thing is that you have to look at what problems you might face in your area. I don't get flooding or real hurricanes or tornados or earthquakes where I live--all though last year we had everything and a freak October blizzard. If my house is on fire there is nothing I can't get at the all night CVS drug strore. We're more susceptable to power outage so I keep lots of frozen water bottles in the freezer--let an inch of water out first--so that if pwoer goes out our stuff will stay cool enough for a while. But a room temp bootle will last a month anyway. Basically, just batteries. And some stuff in the car.

12. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

http://www.pdc.org/iweb/hazard_info_checklist.jsp?subg=2

After diabetes supplies, water is probably the most important thing to keep, especially if you are in an earthquake zone. As a previous poster said - you have to assess the likelihood of a particular disaster happening and plan around that. If a disaster happens during winter you have to take that into account and prepare some form of heating for your home. A plan is important - tell your kids what you want them to do in an emergency and make sure you have good walking shoes in the car in case you have to walk to reach them. The car is a good place to have a few extra supplies - insulin in pens with pen needles/dextrose or sweeties/ water and juice drinks/ bm kits and a sleeping bag. If you keep them all in a little grab bag with a couple of emergency foil blankets - that should almost cover it! :D

13. Mish

Mish Approved members

I kind of agree with this - if we're to lose electricity, generally it is in the winter in combination with a snow storm. It's easy to keep insulin cool during that sort of situation. And all our other supplies are fine. We aren't prone to massive hurricanes or floods, and even during a big blizzard, with all the modern snow removal technology we have, we're all on the roads in a day or so.

And while I'm not a doomsday person at all, I do keep a small stockpile of older insulin in my basement, and some with family. I worry more about disruption to the production of insulin.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Mish raises a good point. Storing supplies at another house can give you a sense of security, depending upon what sort of emergency you are most likely to have to plan for.

We're most vulnerable to winter storms and power outages. The last two big storms pushed us to buy a generator and a wood stove ( we'll be stockpiling canned goods soon if we're not careful:rolleyes:) so I worry less about being able to keep the people (and dogs) warm and the insulin cool.;)

Our "emergency kit" is also our main travel kit, so at least once or twice a year I go through it to check expiration dates and make sure that everything actually lines up, i.e., the right cartridges/infusion sets for the current pump. Short of a house fire I'd probably never need it, but I like having it there.

15. Mish

Mish Approved members

OMG did you roll your eyes at Mother Nature??

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Always.:cool:

17. Mish

Mish Approved members

don't think you can hide behind those wayfarers! I know those eyes are still rolling.

18. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

I keep the "go bag" (backpack) and some bottled water in the closet that's our designated tornado room. So we have everything we need if we're hunkered down in there or I can grab it if we have to race out the door. We had terrible fires in our general area last year and that motivated me to have a "go bag" and all our important papers ready in case we needed to grab and run.

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Drat! Busted!

(sorry for the hijack :eek:)

20. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

After the power grid went out here last year I got a remote thermometer that I keep with the insulin. If the power were to go out I can monitor the temp without opening the fridge which would loose cold air.

My plan is to monitor then when it seems to start getting warmer I can put the insulin with ice packs in our small ice chest and wrap with blankets. The temp monitor would still be with it so I could still monitor the temp.

When the power went by the time we decided to run out all the ice was gone at anything open. Since most registers are computerized the stores just shut doors. I keep the gelpacks that they ship the insulin in in the freezer so I can pull them out and put in the ice chest if needed.

(yes I got obsessed with insulin storage temperature after that outage) :D