- advertisement -

what to do with pump while sleeping?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jlh0920, Jan 27, 2011.

1. jlh0920

jlh0920 Approved members

Hello everyone,
    We are getting ready to start my 16 month old daughter on a pump, the Medtronic Revel. I am curious about what to do with the pump while she sleeps? She typically flops all around, stomach to back throughout the night. I am worried she will get twisted in the tubing. Any suggestions for nighttime?
    Thanks so much...

2. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

My son is 2.5 and a very restless sleeper. We put his pump in his SPibelt and have had no problems. A pump pouch would work well too!

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma started on a pump at 2 1/2 and she has always worn a pump pouch. The tubing can just be tucked in the pouch and she tosses and turns and no problem

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee has been pump since she was 3, and wears a pump pouch most of the time. Sometimes she wears the clip that comes with the Revel, but its so much easier for US for her to use a pouch. She's typically a belly sleeper so we leave it on her back, but if she rolls its easy to move it around, the clip is harder to move while she's sleeping on it, lol.. And no, she isn't bothered by laying on it one bit.

5. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

My daughter has been pumping for almost 2 years. she was DX at 18 months. We clip her pump to her panties when she sleeps or put it in her Lenny the Lion pump holder. (stuffed animal that holds the pump) When we use Lenny it give her something to cuddle with!

6. sage68

sage68 Approved members

My daughter was dx at 11 months and started pumping right around the same age, and at night I put her in a onsie and I have sewn pockets to the backs of the onsie's that have a buttonhole placed for the tubing that will come out inside the onsie and to her site, so everything is contained underneath her onsie. My 4 year old was dx at 25 months, and i have always used her pouch at night with no problems.

7. Trev

Trev Approved members

Pumping for Kids - Where to wear it?

Hi there, I have a pump, and out of my two type one kids one uses a pump. Since she was 20 months, she is now 6. We have alway clipped her medtronic pump to her PJ's in the front with no issues. The pump seems to look smaller as she gets bigger. For pics see my blog at http://www.three2treat.com. Cheers!

8. textornado

textornado Approved members

Simple homemade pump pouch

I bought my first pump pouch and found the smallest wasn't small enough and it was way too expensive for something so simple. I noticed it looked alot like my belly band when I was pregnant. I bought an extra small belly band, folded it in half and sewed two vertical lines to make the pouch for the pump and closed the top. My son loves it... it is soft and comfortable. He says the best thing is that it doesn't slip around while he sleeps. I hope this helps.

Smiles, Jessie

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Don't know if your daughter uses a pillow yet?? My son was not dx until 4 years old, and we just put his pump under his pillow. The pillow kind of "anchors" his pump, and, although he moves, his pump stays put. He'll turn from side to side, but does not twist around too much. Maybe once or twice since he's started pumping I've found him twisted in his tube, but it has not affected insulin delivery. I've never wanted to keep his pump on his waistband at night because I was worried he'd be uncomfortable sleeping on that hard lump!

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We keep it in our spibelt

11. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

My son just lets his flop around in the bed with him. We have used a belt from diabete-ezy but he now only wears that during the day.

12. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

My son now uses a spibelt and I love it. When he began pumping right after turning 4, I too sewed pockets. I would get a lightweight girl's undershirt and sew a pocket on the back. I probably should have sewn a button at the top of the pocket. What I did though was to sew velcro to the top of the pocket. I would just drop the pump right in and let the tubing come back out the top. Once I was no longer concerned about little fingers exploring the pump, I switched to a pump pouch and eventually found spibelt to be wonderful.

By the way, my concern of my son exploring the pump may have been unfounded being that many on this board have reported using a pouch with their little ones with great success. My son has always had a fascination with exploring the detailed intricacies of his world though so I played it safe.

13. meggiemoo

meggiemoo Banned

With a little one, I'd just get a pump pack. My child has worn the pump in a pump pack since diagnosis, and we've never once had an issue with tubing at night. :)

We really like the Too Sweet Boutique pump packs. And they have some awesome hair bows there too.

14. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I totally agree about Too Sweet Boutique.
    I haven't purchased yet, but I think half her clicks are from me looking at her gorgeous products!

15. meggiemoo

meggiemoo Banned

I know! So beautiful and girly! Makes me wish I wasn't too old for hair bows, LOL!

16. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

My daughter is 10 and uses a pump pouch (love Too Sweet Boutique) all day and night. She has no problems sleeping at all. Sometimes she sleeps on the pump on her tummy, sometimes on her side. Ocassionally, I'll have to roll her over to adjust basals at night.

17. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

LOL!!!:):):):):):):)

18. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Pump pouch

We use the pump pouches from pumptastic website. My son wears these almost all the time - even when sleeping. It doesn't bother him a bit. The only problem with putting it under a pillow is if the little ones get out of their bed at night - they wouldn't think to grab their pump.

We like the band- it style because it is a little flatter to the body.

http://mypumptastic.com/

19. momtoirishtwins

momtoirishtwins Approved members

We are another spibelt user, and we love it. Keeps his pump in place perfectly. He just got a new spibelt for his diaversary tomorrow. He thinks his new blue camo belt is "super cool".

20. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My dd started pumping at 18 months, the best was to sew a pocket to the outside of jammies, with a button hole to thread tubing threw.

The best jammies are the ones with top and bottom and snaps at the waist, just sew a pocket on the outside and tubing inbetween at the snaps.